• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car hire things you must do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car hire things you must do

Hi
    This is a good tip when hiring a car abroad.Always hire from the main company and not through a franchise as if problems arise the are difficult to resolve. Secondly take 5 min to examine the car for defects.More important is when you return the car is to get the supplier to check the car and to sign that there Is no damage. Check after 10 days that the demand for the excess has been removed. On my last car hire in france I found that my cc card had been debited fir 165 euros 7 days after my return for no reason and my bank are investigating be aware

NARDOUX

How annoying.

I would take photo's of any significant damage when I picked the car up in case of any argument, and a good tip about getting the agent to check the car on your return..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by nardoux, heacham View Post
      Hi
      This is a good tip when hiring a car abroad.Always hire from the main company and not through a franchise as if problems arise the are difficult to resolve. Secondly take 5 min to examine the car for defects.More important is when you return the car is to get the supplier to check the car and to sign that there Is no damage. Check after 10 days that the demand for the excess has been removed. On my last car hire in france I found that my cc card had been debited fir 165 euros 7 days after my return for no reason and my bank are investigating be aware

NARDOUX
      Good tip to pass on.
      We seem to read quite a lot of extra charges appearing from out of nowhere ,just plain robbery IMO..Taffy
      ​Taffy

Comment

Having said that you should deal directly with the car hire company it ought to be mentioned that you will get a far better deal if you do your negotiating, particularly if you need a car in the USA, with that company in this country (UK). I have hired many cars in the USA and have used, with no problems, companies like Expedia, Money Supermarket, etc. ....Neil

Comment

Another worthwhile idea is to buy "excess cover insurance" as a stand alone policy - it costs about £40 a year, whereas rental companies often charge as much as £5 a day if you buy at the counter

It's not needed in the USA as they don't seem to impose an excess on CDW cover, but certainly a consideration in europe!!

Cheers,
          Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Derby, Derby View Post
            Another worthwhile idea is to buy "excess cover insurance" as a stand alone policy - it costs about £40 a year, whereas rental companies often charge as much as £5 a day if you buy at the counter

It's not needed in the USA as they don't seem to impose an excess on CDW cover, but certainly a consideration in europe!!

Cheers,
            Lynn
            In the US, we hire cars with contractual agreement all we need to do is hand back the car keys in the case of an accident.

Dents and dings? No problem!

Comment

also take photo on phone close up each side as evidence of condition on collection and return to avoid fit ups of damage claims.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X