• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed please!

Hi,
    We are new to cruising and are looking for advice please.
    We are planning on going on our first cruise next year, 2019 but after over a months research are still no further forward! My husband and I are in our 40s with two children, who will be age 11 & 14 next year. We are looking for suggestions on a special cruise that won’t break the bank. My parents, who are in their late 60s are also joining us. They have been on some cruises before with Celebrity.
    So what’s important to us ( in no particular order )?-
    1) Clean accommodation
    2) Good food/service
    3) Reasonable amount to do on ship but does not need to be ‘all signing all dancing’, as the children are not needing constant activity!
    4) The wow factor ship environment/ feeling of luxury!
    5) Excursions/places that all of us will remember, i.e something a bit different

Thoughts so far have been Caribbean, Canada, Alaska ...children have the boy been to Spain & France so have a desire to go a bit further afield. We have so far looked at Royal Caribbean & Celebrity but prices are getting a little ridiculous.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations I would be so so grateful.

Budget will dictate a lot of choices and the trade offs on ships/cabins.

With 6pax there may be multi bedroom options that can get more for your money.

dates you can/want to go, sometimes looking at easter holidays can get you a lot more for your money over Summer(which can be too hot anyway).

post the detils of a couple you liked the look of it will give people something to work from

Another big factor these days is alcoholic drinks packages, often include which makes for higher prices, if you on't need them then you can get the same cruise cheaper.
    Last edited by Topdeck, London; 23rd February 2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Pricing is getting a bit ridiculous, in particular with RCI and Celebrity but it’s supply and demand and the demand seems to be there at the moment. With your size of party it would be better to try and get a (free) drinks package as it could work out really expensive at the end of the cruise. Have a look at the RCI web site as they’ve just added another offer today - up to $300 OBC. This was available up until a couple of weeks ago and was then removed but it’s back again ( a bit like the DFS furniture sale) but I’m not sure if it will be included in 2019 cruises,(probably not) . If not, I would hold back as there’s plenty of time to do your research. I’m currently looking at September / October and the availability is plentiful. Symphony of the Seas looks an amazing ship but Allure, Harmony or Oasis would also provide the wow factor. I’m sure their will be plenty of suggestions from other forum members shortly.

Comment

Hi Rachel, Welcome to the forum.

Both Celebrity and RCI have offers on this weekend, you might find better deals when they take off the overpriced drinks packages etc. If you find a cruise you like the look of, you can ring cruise.co.uk for a price, they are very competitive.

I've signed up to a few agencies for e mails, and they send you some good cruises through, I then just ring cruise.co.uk and they sort it out for me. Good Luck.............................................. ..........................Carol

Comment

Celebrity would certainly tick all the boxes, but not cheap as you say. Never used RCI, but from reading reviews, may be a little down market on Celebrity. More activities than Celebrity though, I think. Alaska is amazing, and I would recommend a pre or post cruise Canadian Rockies tour. Ships excursions tend to be expensive, the Alaska ones in particular, although you can do your own thing. Others on this site could advise you better than me on that score. As others have said, budget will dictate where you go and with whom, but as with everything, you get what you pay for on the whole.

Comment

Hi welcome to the forum
            with teenagers I don't think you can beat Royal. Their prices have been crazy for this year. The best time to book price wise with Royal is when they first launch. 2019 from Southampton will be out in the next couple of weeks, may be worth seeing what the prices are like. I'm intrigued myself. You'll have already seen the prices for the rest of the world.
            I cant give you any experience on ge destinations you've mentioned sorry.

Comment

You might just consider Princess cruises with ships in the Royal Princess style. They have good accommodation, clean surroundings, very good food and loads to do for adults and children, in fact some of the best children's facilities that I have come across at sea. Their prices won't break the bank provided that you are aware that some "extras" have to be paid for but also can be left unused. I think that "Family Cabins" are available or adjoining rooms might be an answer , you might also consider one child with you and the other with Grandparents to create a little more space,

I wish you luck whatever you choose. Regards. ....Neil

Just remember .....planning pays dividends ....but it looks as though you know that already

Comment

Doubt if rci would suit elderly people. Good for kids. Food is better on celebrity . U have a problem if budget is needed try p and o which could be ok for all but their ships need looking at carefully. A good judge is to look at figure for space to passenger cunard is one of the best for this.

Comment

Originally posted by wavell, edinburgh View Post
                  Doubt if rci would suit elderly people. Good for kids. Food is better on celebrity . U have a problem if budget is needed try p and o which could be ok for all but their ships need looking at carefully. A good judge is to look at figure for space to passenger cunard is one of the best for this.
                  Can I ask why it wouldn’t suit elderly people ? Our cruise on Rhapsody in October last year was full of them

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                    Can I ask why it wouldn’t suit elderly people ? Our cruise on Rhapsody in October last year was full of them

Would someone care to assign an age group to elderly please??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by RachelT, West Sussec View Post
                      Hi,
                      We are new to cruising and are looking for advice please.
                      We are planning on going on our first cruise next year, 2019 but after over a months research are still no further forward! My husband and I are in our 40s with two children, who will be age 11 & 14 next year. We are looking for suggestions on a special cruise that won’t break the bank. My parents, who are in their late 60s are also joining us. They have been on some cruises before with Celebrity.
                      So what’s important to us ( in no particular order )?-
                      1) Clean accommodation
                      2) Good food/service
                      3) Reasonable amount to do on ship but does not need to be ‘all signing all dancing’, as the children are not needing constant activity!
                      4) The wow factor ship environment/ feeling of luxury!
                      5) Excursions/places that all of us will remember, i.e something a bit different

Thoughts so far have been Caribbean, Canada, Alaska ...children have the boy been to Spain & France so have a desire to go a bit further afield. We have so far looked at Royal Caribbean & Celebrity but prices are getting a little ridiculous.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations I would be so so grateful.
                      Preferred embarkation port??

Annie

Comment

I'm torn about the RCI suggestion- we suggested them for family with very active teens a couple of years back, and they adored every minute. They invited Grandma on their last trip, and she loved being with the grand children, and admired the very beautiful ship... but at times was overwhelmed with the amount of people and the constant noise. As she has walking difficulties, she also found the length of the corridors a bit much, and the crowding in the lifts.
                        So much depends on what each person wants from a cruise. I suggest a smaller ship, and one where there are several quiet bars/lounges for a break from activities. There again, the grandparents might be just as active as the children!
                        Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                          Would someone care to assign an age group to elderly please??

Annie
                          over 40 according to my 19 yr old son

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                            over 40 according to my 19 yr old son
                            My elder brother told my mother she was over the hill at 30.

My young brother told my father when asked if he would look after him - he retorted he would send him to a OAP home.

Annie
                            Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 24th February 2018, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Fly or no fly.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X