• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ventura's family focus receives mixed response

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventura's family focus receives mixed response

MS Ventura, the flagship in the P&O Cruises fleet, could leave parents wishing they left the kids at home.

Described as the first "superliner built for Britain", the vessel was designed with families in mind, according to the Telegraph's Sara Macefield.

But while she lauded the children's club as being "first-rate" in providing entertainment for children as late as midnight, the travel writer added that there were problems with bringing the children along.

That is because, unlike some of the competition, Ventura stipulates that one parent or legal guardian must always remain on board while their children are in the kid's club.

"At a stroke, this denied us our prized pleasure of simply wandering ashore to do as we pleased without our daughters' constant requests for ice creams and drinks interspersed with complaints of being tired, thirsty, hungry and bored," Ms Macefield lamented.

A "grand" class cruise ship that was launched in 2008, Ventura can accommodate 3,100 passengers and is based in Hamilton, the capital of Bermuda.

Would you be willing to take the youngsters on a cruise?

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    My DH's family would sail from their home in S. Africa every few years, buy a big old banger, and drive round Europe, camping in the strangest places, in wind and snow....This was parents and 5 kids! They've all grown up to love travel- and each other- and all had good degrees and careers, and will still camp out under the stars given the chance.
    MIL takes master classes at a US university every summer, and goes skinny dipping in the lake there, with 2 of her adult children. She's planning next summer's trip, even tho' she was 95 at Christmas.......
    Jo.

Leave a comment:

• Dave, Whitstable
    replied
    Originally posted by Christiaan, Ocean Shores View Post
    ...In short, it was the happiest time of my life and my son loved every moment , meeting all types of people and found a love of flying and travelling which has continued to this day.

He now has a BSc and is an air traffic controller, married to a doctor.

So , yes !!! Take your children travelling .
    Nice one Christiaan!

Leave a comment:

• Christiaan, Ocean Shores
    replied
    All my friends advised against it , saying he was too young , would never remember it , but
    when my son was six years old I took him for a 5 month holiday based in Oxford, England .

We had two weeks on Capri in a hotel with a swimming pool , took the tiny bus to Anacapri and the chair lift to to very top where there was a restaurant with 360 degree views of the bay and Mt. Vesuvius. Saw the Blue Grotto, took the winding road of the Amalfi Coast to see the Emerald Grotto.

Then to Corfu for two weeks for sightseeing , lovely hotel again . One night there was a special performance of Greek dancing and we joined a table of Greek guests who made us very welcome. I wondered why the dancers were performing mainly for our table until I was told the next day that these people were the owners !

My son also had a lengthy argument with a little French girl in the swimming pool with neither of them able to understand each other ! Do you wonder about worldwide unrest and misunderstanding???

Next stop was Canada in the autumn with all the incredible colours and the Ontario Science Museum which he loved !
    Lots of interactive exhibits to help children to learn.

Then to Disneyland ( couldn't bypass that ! ) had a magical
    time there which included the electric light parade at night. Unforgettable .

I had to ask permission to take him away from school and was told the experience would teach him far more.

In short, it was the happiest time of my life and my son loved every moment , meeting all types of people and found a love of flying and travelling which has continued to this day.

He now has a BSc and is an air traffic controller, married to a doctor.

So , yes !!! Take your children travelling .
    Last edited by Christiaan, Ocean Shores; 4th January 2010, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shelledpea, Stalybridge
    replied
    I don't mind staying on the ship if the chidren are in the club, I get time to sunbathe without having to worry if someone has drowned one of my little darlings in the pool, but I did take advantage on OV of the facility on the ship that if you booked a ships trip you could pay to leave the children for the duration of the tour. We went scuba diving in Rhodes which the children being under 12 couldn't have done and had an exciting grown up afternoon.

We get enough time together through the day that I don't mind them going of an evening AFTER we've all had dinner. They have never got bored on land tours mainly because I take them to things they'll enjoy ~ castles, museums with lots of armour and cannons, etc. or I make them walk round something I want to do and the next day we do the beach or a waterpark.

And as has been said before if your child is moaning and demanding then that's the way you've brought them up to be!

Family holidays are just that and expecting not to see your children for 7 days or 2 weeks isn't fair on your children.

P.S. If I don't want to see the children I ask their Grandmas to look after them for 3 days and have a quick cheap trip to spain about once a year.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    ooops

Steady now, children.

Some people are always concerned for their children, some people consider this to be not giving children enough breathing space.
    Others let their children have a free reign and this can be construed as not having enough control

P & O have decided on a policy. If you don't like it, find an alternative, goodness there are enough options out there.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• Dave, Whitstable
    replied
    Originally posted by Wingerowl, Chesterfield View Post
    ...I do not have children "my love".
    I do, although they're adults now. But when they were younger we wouldn't have dreamt of going on holiday without them. Our holidays were family holidays - mostly camping because that's all we could afford.

To me, leaving your children on the ship implies two things: First, you don't particularly want them with you; and second, they don't particularly want to be with you. But perhaps that's how some families are?

Leave a comment:

• cruise, Pickering
    replied
    maybe out of line here, but, my children, my responsability and I do not shirk that, so if I am to go on shore and the children cant stay then they will come with me, simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• jsb, chesterfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian, Swinton View Post
    I actually think that both views are valid, I think it all depends on the age of the children, having worked in the holiday business, alot of younger children are just so bored when it comes to looking around places, i'm sort of talking maybe 0-10 years, they would learn far more from a well organised childrens club and interaction with other children instead of being dragged around, people leave there children as nursery centers etc, so what would be the difference, when the parents return they go and check, and proberbly most children wont know that the parents had gone anyway..

People at times need space to wind down, wether with or without children, what would you say if the parents had gone on holiday and the kids was left with the grandparents as the parents may think they are to young, It wouldnt mean the the grandparents would do a better job than the organised clubs.

I also think that, and having seen it many times, that Parents bring there children on holiday far to early in life, Reason being that, when you go away foreign countries have different facilities, the water and food is different, the heat of the sun can cause many poblems.

If the Cruise line advertises A children club, then is that the reason why they choose these ships, so they can have the best of both worlds (A) for parents to have a few hrs to themselves (B) the children, can learn to intreract with other children and maybe learn at the same time..

maybe the cruise ships that have childrens facilities should be made responsible for those children under there care as in schools, nurseries etc, if not then maybe they shouldn't advertise childres clubs..

When we was on Ventura last year, on halloween the kids of all ages was having a fantastic time with the event i assume being run by the childrens club, they wouldnt be thinking if there parents was ok, they were having a ball,, bet the parents was worried about them though,,,
    A very fair and balanced comment Brian. I can also see both sides of the argument.

Leave a comment:

• Brian, Swinton
    replied
    Both Views

I actually think that both views are valid, I think it all depends on the age of the children, having worked in the holiday business, alot of younger children are just so bored when it comes to looking around places, i'm sort of talking maybe 0-10 years, they would learn far more from a well organised childrens club and interaction with other children instead of being dragged around, people leave there children as nursery centers etc, so what would be the difference, when the parents return they go and check, and proberbly most children wont know that the parents had gone anyway..

People at times need space to wind down, wether with or without children, what would you say if the parents had gone on holiday and the kids was left with the grandparents as the parents may think they are to young, It wouldnt mean the the grandparents would do a better job than the organised clubs.

I also think that, and having seen it many times, that Parents bring there children on holiday far to early in life, Reason being that, when you go away foreign countries have different facilities, the water and food is different, the heat of the sun can cause many poblems.

If the Cruise line advertises A children club, then is that the reason why they choose these ships, so they can have the best of both worlds (A) for parents to have a few hrs to themselves (B) the children, can learn to intreract with other children and maybe learn at the same time..

maybe the cruise ships that have childrens facilities should be made responsible for those children under there care as in schools, nurseries etc, if not then maybe they shouldn't advertise childres clubs..

When we was on Ventura last year, on halloween the kids of all ages was having a fantastic time with the event i assume being run by the childrens club, they wouldnt be thinking if there parents was ok, they were having a ball,, bet the parents was worried about them though,,,
    Last edited by Brian, Swinton; 6th November 2009, 12:39 PM. Reason: more to put

Leave a comment:

• redwinegirl2, Lake District
    replied
    "Attacking" is a very strong and inappropriate word to use in this context. I'm merely stating an alternative view, my love.
    Actually in your case it is very appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Wingerowl, Chesterfield
    replied
    Originally posted by redwinegirl2, Lake District View Post
    If you do not have children, hence the reason you want to lock them up, I'm actually all for that.

You seem to be going around the board attacking people, bad day my love??
    "Attacking" is a very strong and inappropriate word to use in this context. I'm merely stating an alternative view, my love.

Leave a comment:

replied
    So what are you suggesting then ? Is it that while children are at school their parents should remain within the school grounds all day instead of working just in case their children suffer a grazed knee. Should we ban baby sitters while parents enjoy a night out ??

Parents deserve a rest too and while each working day of every week of the year a parent strives to provide a good life for their children, for 2 weeks of the year you are suggesting they should not be able to leave their children with qualified professionals where they will be happier than being "dragged" around a port if only for a couple of hours.

I do not have children "my love".
    If you do not have children, hence the reason you want to lock them up, I'm actually all for that.

You seem to be going around the board attacking people, bad day my love??

Leave a comment:

• Wingerowl, Chesterfield
    replied
    So what are you suggesting then ? Is it that while children are at school their parents should remain within the school grounds all day instead of working just in case their children suffer a grazed knee. Should we ban baby sitters while parents enjoy a night out ??

Parents deserve a rest too and while each working day of every week of the year a parent strives to provide a good life for their children, for 2 weeks of the year you are suggesting they should not be able to leave their children with qualified professionals where they will be happier than being "dragged" around a port if only for a couple of hours.

I do not have children "my love".

Leave a comment:

replied
    What do the parents do while the children are cared for by qualified and competent professionals. Its a holiday, i'm sure the kids wont be worrying what their folks are doing so whats the problem with the parents spending quality time on their own ashore, if only for a couple of hours.

There are some bitter folk amongst you posters on this forum
    Ignoring your silly bitter remark jibe. Do you not think your children would enjoy being with their parents exploring a new country as a family? Obviously your children prefer the company of strangers, which says a lot about your parenting skills my love. Good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X