• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any views on Costa for families

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any views on Costa for families

We missed out on RCI free flight promotion for October half term so now looking at Costa Victoria for instead (which ironically with flights and transfers included comes out at same price as RCI were with free flights). I wondered if anyone had experience of this ship, or Costa in particular when travelling as a family (kids would be 5 and 2)?

We are fairly laid back and quite happy to be on a ship where Brits are the minority, and we would pick this cruise mainly for itinerary. Previous cruising experience with the children has been RCI, OV and P&O. It would be interesting to know how Costa compares (cabin sizes, food, kids clubs etc)

Thanks

We travelled with Costa when our two were 6 & 8 on Concordia.

All I can say is that there will be lots of children on board and the childrens area/s are not big enough for them all.

The clubs are very unstructured especially if you are used to P&O and OV ~ nowhere near as good, no real split between the age groups, no pool or deck games etc.

There is no evening buffet available so you have to use the main dining room with the children apart from on Formal nights when the childrens club organise a special dinner separately. The children were however provided with a drink each per evening at dinner free of charge.

We found that with the two main pools one was adults only & smoking was not allowed, whereas round the family pool it was.

Drinks are roughly similar in price to those charged by RCL but we were never stopped from taking soft drinks onboard for the children and the room steward was happy to empty the mini bar for us.

The free room service of a morning is excellent ~ just remember to specify milk otherwise tea and coffee will be delivered without

Anything else you wish to know just ask
    We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

I've sailed on Costa but not with children, but found there were lots and lots of children onboard. so your children will not be lonely. Shell has answered your question very well. you do say that you don't mind being in the minority, on Costa you will. we enjoyed Costa it was noisey, OTT decor, elbows out for food/queues etc but it is such a different experience.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
        you do say that you don't mind being in the minority, on Costa you will. we enjoyed Costa it was noisey, OTT decor, elbows out for food/queues etc but it is such a different experience.
        Under 50 English speakers (Brits, Aussies, Canadians & Americans) including children from about 3500 people onboard

OTT decor by Farcus

and yes a fair bit of pushing and shoving
        We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.sigpic

Comment

Wow that's some decor. Just looked again and think we would actually go for their new ship as it seems same price, and good value for school holidays. Not too bothered about kids clubs as the youngest would only be 2 so couldn't use them. Also it would be be me, my mum and kids on this cruise (DH can stay at home and get on with the decorating he claims he can never do when the kids are here). It would be quite nice to eat together in the evening and I am guessing the Italians are generally more tolerant about the kids being around in the evening.

Itinerary also looks really good, Venice, Istanbul, Olympia and Izmir etc.

I have more or less talked myself into it..........

Thanks for responses so far!

Comment

If you were thinking of one of the new ships ~ Concordia, splendida, serena etc then go for an outside cabin. These are only slightly dearer but the layout is so much better than the insides.

Comment

it sounds a great intinnery Royston 1. if you go with an open mind you will have a good but different cruise. I agree with Shell go for an outside so much bigger. the cabin photos are of our inside cabin.

I've posted some thumbnails......cos I cannot post large photos! :o ;) of the Costa Serena. she is a newer ship, came into service in 2008ish. the thumbnail with the chocolate cup is from the chocolate bar. it's filled with Baileys. Heaven in a cup drink the Baileys then eat the tumbler!! :D:D
              Attached Files
              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Just to illustrate a point Standard Inside cabin:

~ when set for 4 there are two drop down beds above(you can just see them recessed into the ceilling)

Standard Outside cabin:

~ the forth berth is above the sofa bed in these cabins and there is a privacy curtain that goes around the sofa / pullman bed

& yes the colour scheme is the same on all the new ships in the cabins

Comment

Originally posted by Royston1, Royston1 View Post
                  We missed out on RCI free flight promotion for October half term so now looking at Costa Victoria for instead (which ironically with flights and transfers included comes out at same price as RCI were with free flights). I wondered if anyone had experience of this ship, or Costa in particular when travelling as a family (kids would be 5 and 2)?

We are fairly laid back and quite happy to be on a ship where Brits are the minority, and we would pick this cruise mainly for itinerary. Previous cruising experience with the children has been RCI, OV and P&O. It would be interesting to know how Costa compares (cabin sizes, food, kids clubs etc)

Thanks

Dont think a few pounds is a consideration in choosing the correct Ship.But Costa is the glitzi cheapo Italian style of Cruising Yuk.Whereas RCCL build and operate a qualty product.Very similar to a Ryan Air BA situation.

Comment

Sorry coolcruiser, disagree. Costa have fab ships, even better kiddy clubs, and are on par with RCCI, except they are a lot cheaper. Costa cabins are a really good size and the food is really good. Do not forget that the Italian kiddies holidays are normally slightly different to the British ones, unless its a set religious one.

Comment

if your quick i lifted this from another thread

RCI - Another 2K free flights added.
                      Nov 23rd 2010

Royal Caribbean International has extended its 10,000 flight give-away on four ships by adding another 2,000 flights to the promotion.
                      The extra 2,000 flights will be added from regional and London airports for Navigator of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas.

flights

The free flight promotion is available on a first-come, first-served basis for any of the applicable cruises booked and confirmed between up to December 20.

The flights include several regional departure points from across Britain and Ireland.

sigpic
                      If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                        I've posted some thumbnails......cos I cannot post large photos! :o ;)
                        Issy try looking at "for non-techies who need help" Thread posts 14 and 60

Pete
                        Pete

sigpic
                        If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

Originally posted by Pete, Caerphilly View Post
                          if your quick i lifted this from another thread

RCI - Another 2K free flights added.
                          Nov 23rd 2010

Royal Caribbean International has extended its 10,000 flight give-away on four ships by adding another 2,000 flights to the promotion.
                          The extra 2,000 flights will be added from regional and London airports for Navigator of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas.

flights

The free flight promotion is available on a first-come, first-served basis for any of the applicable cruises booked and confirmed between up to December 20.

The flights include several regional departure points from across Britain and Ireland.
                          Thanks. I was on to the extra flights next week but none were added for half term week on Adventure (Canaries). I think they did have some extra flights for Grandeur but it was western med which we have done many times and for all of us to get the free flights (albeit would take two cabins) it would also be a lot dearer than what I have costed Costa out at including the flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelledpea, Stalybridge View Post
                            Just to illustrate a point Standard Inside cabin:

~ when set for 4 there are two drop down beds above(you can just see them recessed into the ceilling)

Standard Outside cabin:

~ the forth berth is above the sofa bed in these cabins and there is a privacy curtain that goes around the sofa / pullman bed

& yes the colour scheme is the same on all the new ships in the cabins
                            Ah a big difference in size and layout -I take your point about the outside being better value (there isn't much difference in price).

I am just going to have a look at what MSC are offering that week. Does anyone that has dones MSC and Costa have a view on which is better, and why?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Royston1, Royston1 View Post
                              Ah a big difference in size and layout -I take your point about the outside being better value (there isn't much difference in price).

I am just going to have a look at what MSC are offering that week. Does anyone that has dones MSC and Costa have a view on which is better, and why?

Thanks
                              Okay I am bias towards Costa so maybe this will envoke some reaction.
                              All in all Costa is a great line, and generally MSC are roughly on par with them. Costa have got their usual knockers but you will be treated well above RC and others, kids are loved and the Victora is a great ship, the Concordia, Serena and Magicia are nearly the same, and have nicer decor. Both line do offer great deals & if you just relax a bit and let crowds on, boarding is easy. There is still an evening buffet but it is very limited and finishes at 9 pm.
                              You do also have the option of great room service, and the MDR catter for families very well.
                              Of the MSC (5) and Costa ships (14) we have sailed on, my preference would be Costa very closely followed MSC, both give excellent value for money.
                              In acual fact we don't think the Italians, French etc are any worse than Brits when it comes to politeness. just try sailing with those wonderful Football fans who turn up in the MDR in football shirts.

AS for your choice there is very little between them so go with the departure port Savona is good Rome is poor, and Venice excellent.
                              Last edited by tenpin, Basingstoke; 24th November 2010, 10:22 AM.
                              Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X