• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jill and Jagger the guide dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jill and Jagger the guide dog

On the first day of our Indy cruise we came across a couple with a guide dog. My granddaughter wanted to stroke him immediately but I explained to her she wasn’t allowed as he was working and we needed to ask permission.

I approached the lady and told her I had my 3 year old granddaughter with me and would it be possible
    to know the dogs name. She said his name and gave permission for us to stroke him.
    This was the first of several meetings and a beautiful friendship between a little girl and black Labrador.

Jagger is a 7 year old black Labrador and his job is to aide his mum Blind Campaigner Jill Allen King OBE.

I thought Jill was just a passenger on holiday until I spotted in the cruise compass that she was doing a talk one day. Hubby and I went along to our first lecture at sea and thoroughly enjoyed.
    She told tales of her story going blind in one eye due to measles aged 1 and loosing the sight in her other eye aged 24 on her wedding day!

Shes had several guide dogs over 40 years and told stories of visits to the Palace to meet the Queen, Princess Anne and a meeting with Princess Diana in the gardens of Buckingham Palace where she played with the dogs.

Every day items in our society that we take for granted to help people with disabilities are down to Jill such a tactile drop pavings.
    She was a force and a pleasure to meet and chat with.

It was interesting to hear how the ship makes her life easier, how difficult it was to get Jagger to the toilet on that rough BoB crossing to the toilet box on deck 4 aft and how in port he has to be taken to a local vet to check his passport and vaccinations.

Jill has said she will send my granddaughter a birthday card from Jagger if I email her the birthday date.

Jagger was a star and he gave a little person an insight into disabilities and us into cruising with a disability.

ED9CF333-4C9F-4B56-B006-14B213FBC042.jpeg

Comment

Beautiful dog. It never ceases to amaze me how these hard working animals help so many people day to day.

Thankyou for posting . Jan.

Comment

Dogs are wonderful creatures, and benefit many humans even when not trained in a particular function such as guide dogs. I have black lab too, and my only sadness when I go away on a cruise is that I have to leave her at my daughter's house for the duration.

Comment

Doe Jagger have to pay grats? Do the cruise line provide dog food?
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
            Dogs are wonderful creatures, and benefit many humans even when not trained in a particular function such as guide dogs. I have black lab too, and my only sadness when I go away on a cruise is that I have to leave her at my daughter's house for the duration.
            Bless I totally understand that. We’ve always had black labs but lost our last one 3 years ago. We’ve now got a 13 year old golden retriever, a 5 year old sproodle and his full brother a 2 year old sproodle.
            I look forward to my cruise for so long and then the week before I start to wish I’d not booked and feel selfish leaving them. We are lucky that all our animals get to stay here at home with family house sitting and we clearly miss them more than they miss us!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              Doe Jagger have to pay grats? Do the cruise line provide dog food?
              Good questions Malcolm. I don’t know the answer to either. I’ll try and find out.
              He was cleaner and tidier than a lot of humans on board!

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                Beautiful dog. It never ceases to amaze me how these hard working animals help so many people day to day.

Thankyou for posting . Jan.
                Absolutely Jan.

Comment

Lovely story My children when they were young loved making a fuss of a guide dog whose owner lived locally.Always asked permission first though

Comment

What a lovely encounter , very interesting to read. I think most of us take for granted how easy it can to navigate around a ship when we're able bodied but it's totally a different experience when we have impaired mobility or a disability and red tape doesn't always make things easier
                    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
                      What a lovely encounter , very interesting to read. I think most of us take for granted how easy it can to navigate around a ship when we're able bodied but it's totally a different experience when we have impaired mobility or a disability and red tape doesn't always make things easier
                      Indeed! I’d never have known there was Braille underneath each handrail on the stairwells until Jill said. So we went and found it.
                      To think how they must have struggled in the horrible storm through the BoB to get him to the toilet box bless him.

Then one night in the theatre one of the singers jumped down off the stage and ran along the front row. We were sat on the upper level and could see exactly what was going to happen and couldn’t do anything to prevent it. Yup said dancer tripped over Jagger in the dark. Poor Jagger got a hell of a fright so did the dancer!

Comment

This is a synopsis of Jills story if anyone fancies reading

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...k-my-life.html

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X