• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70000 Tons of Metal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70000 Tons of Metal

For those who like a relaxing music themed cruise

70000TONS OF METAL - The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise

Hmm...I don't know what the 70,000 tons refers to?

In gross tonnes, the normal ship comparison measurement, she's 154,400.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Maybe just the metal !! isn't gross tonnage the volume of a ship, not what it would weigh if you put it on a scale
      Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 8th October 2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
        Maybe just the metal !! isn't gross tonnage the volume of a ship, not what it would weigh if you put it on a scale
        Yes, I had though of that but can't find the figures.

I guess it's not that important in the scope of things.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Yeah, not important but had a look anyway. Seems the weight is measured by Displacement Tonnage but they only seem to show it for Navy ships

Comment

In modern simple terms Gross tonnage is a measurement of the ships earning capacity.All the space on a cruise ship available to passengers,i.e. cabins and all the other public areas.All the internal spaces cubic capacity is added up and divided by 100 this then gives the gross tonnage,but it is not the weight of the ship that is the displacement tonnage.

On the Azura last week I was amazed and surprised to hear the deputy captain say that the new P&oer WEIGHED 184000tons,no doubt this was done so the listeners would be amazed at how heavy the ship was ,but of course the displacement tonnage(the actual weight of the ship ,fuel,stores and FW and weight of passengers and crew0

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X