• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xmas on board a cruise ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas on board a cruise ship

Not sure if posted in the past. But has anyone spent xmas day on a cruise ship, I presume there is christmas dinner. Is there anything else or is it just another day on board.

i expect its no good going into port as everything will be shut.

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post
    Not sure if posted in the past. But has anyone spent xmas day on a cruise ship, I presume there is christmas dinner. Is there anything else or is it just another day on board.

Christmas Day is usually spent at sea and dinner is formal, traditional turkey etc along with other options. There is a very festive, party atmosphere, often with some sort of entertainment by the waiters over dinner. When we were on board an announcement was made that as it was christmas day it was the turn of the guests to entertain the waiters, the music started up and we all had to stand and do the Macarena before we could have our christmas pud. There are the usual activities plus carol singers, visits from Santa, lots of xmas decs and trees everywhere. A lovely way to spend christmas and definitely very special. You may even find that when you are at dinner Santa visits your cabin and leaves cards and presents.

Comment

Originally posted by DUETTO, Staines View Post

I think you will agree, most people at home celebrate Christmas Dinner at lunch time.

Don't expect Christmas lunch to be any different to any other day, as the festivities are based around the evening meal (Dinner), particularly on American and Italian cruiselines.
      Wilba

Comment

I have friends who spend every Christmas on a cruise ship and love every minute of it. They have usually been with Fred Olsen but this year have booked on Marco Polo because it was such a good deal.
        It wouldn't suit me as I always host Christmas Day for my family but if you don't have such commitments then I can think of a better way to spend the festive season.
        Jill

Comment

I have spent the last 22 Xmas's ( bar one which had to be cancelled in 2011 3 days before we should have sailed ) on a cruise ship and for me I wouldn't have it any other way, hated every minute of last Xmas because I wasn't where I wanted to be.

As someone else has said the festivitives focus on the evening which is always formal and I would say along with New Years Eve are the most formal nights of the year ( just my opinion though )

As for through the day, no it isn't much different to any other sea day but you make your own fun and there does always seem to be more of a party atmosphere than usual.
          Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield View Post
            I have spent the last 22 Xmas's ( bar one which had to be cancelled in 2011 3 days before we should have sailed ) on a cruise ship and for me I wouldn't have it any other way, hated every minute of last Xmas because I wasn't where I wanted to be.

As someone else has said the festivitives focus on the evening which is always formal and I would say along with New Years Eve are the most formal nights of the year ( just my opinion though )

As for through the day, no it isn't much different to any other sea day but you make your own fun and there does always seem to be more of a party atmosphere than usual.
            Quite right DQ. I too have spent many Christmas's at sea. I used t go every year as I hated Christmas at home as it is a family thing. I have no family so it was always good to get away and I loved been on the ship at that time of the year. Christmas dinner was always, and still is, served in the evening. It will be a good cruise so enjoy.

Comment

We have spent the last 5 Christmas on a cruise, all but one of them with Cunard. They seem to have festive meals for both lunch and dinner, lunch had roast goose, and turkey was on the evening menu along with the usual extras. Although you pay a premium for the Christmas/New Year cruise it is well worth it as there is no haste at home with all the usual preparations. We are back on Queen Victoria again this year and really looking forward to it.
              Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message

cruises 2012
              Eclipse 12/05
              Queen Victoria 24/03
              Eclipse 12/05
              Oceania Riveria 13/08
              Eclipse 29/09
              Queen Victoria 20/12

2013 Cruises booked
              Eclipse 11/05
              Eclipse 06/07
              Eclipse 31/08
              Eclipse 20/10

Comment

Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                We have spent the last 5 Christmas on a cruise, all but one of them with Cunard. They seem to have festive meals for both lunch and dinner, lunch had roast goose, and turkey was on the evening menu along with the usual extras. Although you pay a premium for the Christmas/New Year cruise it is well worth it as there is no haste at home with all the usual preparations. We are back on Queen Victoria again this year and really looking forward to it.
                I think thats the main advantage of christmas away, we spent last xmas not on a cruise but at a very nice hotel in Mogan, Gran Canaria. Champagne breakfast, xmas day on the beach (32 deg c) and managers cocktail party and gala dinner in the evening. Certainly did not miss the hectic scramble beforehand, and celebrated new year with friends and relatives on our return on 29th Dec.

Sean

Comment

Will depend on the cruise line and who is running the ship(CD and HD) on how Xmas it wil be.

OUr NCL one was a good mic of Xmas stuff for those that wanted it and other stuff for those that don't.

Xmas evening dinner, santa for the kids in the atrium(and some adults), Xmas carols, and festive music thrown in on the days leading up.
                  NO OTT decorations, the main displays were gingerbread houses(small to very large) with help yourself cookies in various locations about the ship and a couple of tree.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X