• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Birthday treat in Chester.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Birthday treat in Chester.

Yesterday we had the pleasure of celebrating a friends Birthday with a novel lunch?
    http://www.millhotel.com/lunch-dinner-cruises

I must say a most enjoyable 3 hours ,you arrive and decide your first to two courses and they are served as you go slowly along the canal,they come back to the Hotel to load the main meal which is served ASAP as it come from the kitchen.
    Food and passengers enter by this door.

First course for me was Soup and for our friends Duck.

Followed by the nicest sorbet (Blackcurrant ) I have ever had.

Main meal was Chicken stuffed with Cheese and Apricot .

My Sweet was a Blackcurrant cheese cake followed by a very tasty Coffee.

You navigate through 2 locks .

Which were quite deep.
    A nice treat in nice company, I was one of 2 men on the barge the other 48 were Ladies who do lunches ,Mainly from different groups from around Cheshire ,nice company and not a phone in site.
    If you fancy something different well worth booking at £18-50pp drinks extra,food hot and tasty service first class..Taffy

Edit realized I had 2 soups and no Duck???
    Last edited by Taffy, Wales; 14th July 2015, 02:10 PM.
    ​Taffy

Now that is a treat! 48 women, I bet you had a good laugh.

Looks as though you had a lovely day, and something a bit different to do...Carol

Comment

Looks lovely Taffy,Mmmm..blackcurrant cheesecake my favourite,yum yum. Jan.

Comment

Sounds good Taffy and looks good too. As you said,something different.

I had a little chuckle at your words "and for our friends duck", which were just below the sign saying "Please Mind your Head". .......................HT

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
          Now that is a treat! 48 women, I bet you had a good laugh.

Looks as though you had a lovely day, and something a bit different to do...Carol
          A lovely day Carol and the Ladies near us were very nice.
          These groups book the Barge year on year ,Women s guild etc nice company to share time with...Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
            Sounds good Taffy and looks good too. As you said,something different.

I had a little chuckle at your words "and for our friends duck", which were just below the sign saying "Please Mind your Head". .......................HT
            Hi HT.
            Both me and my friend are short under 5-6 and both felt good when they said "mind your head sir" not often we hear that...Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

Food looks good Taffy and sensibly priced too............Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

I saw 'Chester' so had to open up. Was there jsut over a week ago for a special event. Used to live there many moons ago. Have seen this barge but not used. During our weekend we also had some great meals, it seems to have improved lately. The canal used to be a rundown area but now has opened up, the path is a short cut (we used it) and there are eateries alongside. To keep to the cruise theme, OH went to Liverpool that day when I was busy to see QM2. We did the 3 Queens on her in May, now she was going TA to celebrate 175 yrs since beginning the route. He said it was excellent on shore with entertainment, and the Red Arrows came over too.

Comment

A useful heads up, Taffy. I lived there for 12 years in the 60s and 70s as did my parents until 2003. It's a city I know very well. As mags says the section of canal going into the city was pretty run down at one time and I remember what is now the
                  Mill Hotel as an empty warehouse. We are due a visit up there in August. If we get time we'll look up the barge.
                  Logic will get you from A to B.
                  Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Hi Taffy
                    There's also one not far away on the River Weaver,,,,,unfortunately not with the delightful sights of Chester.
                    It goes up and down the Weaver past the great Anderton Lift,,and the delight of the ex ICI site at Weston Point,,,where i made my fortune!!!!!
                    I did a dinner trip a few years ago,courtesy of the local Conservative Club.,It was a 'freebie'.

ps,My daughter went to Chester races last Saturday,had a good day out with 4 winners.
                    She backed a horse called Anonymous John for me,,,,came 2nd.
                    Same horse running today at Bath,,,,she put a bet on again...came 4th.
                    Never mind Union Rose came last.
                    JC
                    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 14th July 2015, 05:43 PM.
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Hi Moonraker .
                      If you wish to dine on the Barge then try to book it now very full this time of the year we booked it two months ago and got the last table.
                      Car parking is free and the hotel is good according to my daughter who has stayed there...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

Reply with Quote not working .
                        So JC .
                        Haydock Park better for OAP's Half price
                        I fancy trying the Canal cruise up from Liverpool to Salford or the reverse trip have you any info on it?
                        Some more Pictures as Mags says much improved area plenty of places on the Canal to eat and drink.

At the Chemistry Lock you can have a walk about.
                        ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                          Hi Moonraker .
                          If you wish to dine on the Barge then try to book it now very full this time of the year we booked it two months ago and got the last table.
                          Car parking is free and the hotel is good according to my daughter who has stayed there...Taffy
                          Thanks Taffy. Most of our time up there is spoken for and we were hoping to play it by ear. It will have to wait for another time.
                          Logic will get you from A to B.
                          Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Hi Taffy.
                            Yes,i have done the Manchester Ship Canal cruise on the Mersey Ferry,,,,it was a while ago with mates from work,,,its an enjoyable few hours,and the bar is open!!!
                            Whichever way you go Liverpool--Salford Quays or the other way around,a coach brings you back to your starting point.
                            It also gives a 2.5hr visit either end to look around,,,,,,The Lowry is well worth a visit at Salford Quays,or the German U boat in the 'U-boat Story' at Woodside ferry terminal.

Manchester Ship Canal Cruises - Mersey Ferries

Haydock Park.
                            My youngest daughter went,with her hubbie and friends for a night out last month.........
                            It was a Night meeting,,,,with a live Kylie Minogue concert after the racing finished,,,,she wasn't impressed with the concert,,,too far away from the stage.
                            On July 3rd it was Racing plus Madness concert...........on August 7th its Racing plus Kaiser Chiefs concert.
                            All £30 for racing and concert.
                            Now,if it was The Rolling Stones!!!!!
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X