• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anger as grandad dies alone on golden wedding cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M, Alloa View Post
    I do feel so so sorry for this poor family. I cannot imagine how I would have coped in the circumstances. It certainly does go to show that it does pay to keep a clear record of exactly what the insurers have been told when purchasing a policy on the telephone. Who knows whether the insurer actually asked the vital question regarding angina. Undoubtedly the inurers DO have a recording of the conversation so it does rather beg the question - Why don't they allow the claimant to hear it? I rather feel I would be taking legal advice however on this but I can understand people not quite thinking straight in the circumstances. Like others, I am having difficulty understanding Obesity being quoted unless of course the gentleman had been diagnosed as being obese.

I know that one can use mobile telephones as recording devices but I must investigate further to see if they can actually record a two sided conversation! Other than that I begin to feel that insurance (of any kind) should only be purchased using a written application form and that is such a backward step!
    Yes it is a backward step but there is nothing to compare to having a contract in writing and signed . With so many insurance companies looking for your money it better to have a watertight agreement surely ? Even then you have to check the wording and fine print !

Comment

We can go to a bank to ask to see the recording of an ATM - obviously there is a fee. So why shouldn't we be able to hear the recording of an Insurance companyl As soon as you get through to many Call Centres you're told that "For security and training purposes this call is being recorded"

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
        We can go to a bank to ask to see the recording of an ATM - obviously there is a fee. So why shouldn't we be able to hear the recording of an Insurance companyl As soon as you get through to many Call Centres you're told that "For security and training purposes this call is being recorded"
        Are you talking about listening to the terms and conditions of the policy

If you are nice idea but most would either put the phone down out of boredom or complain about their phone bill

Comment

Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
          Are you talking about listening to the terms and conditions of the policy

If you are nice idea but most would either put the phone down out of boredom or complain about their phone bill
          In actual fact I've never bought any form of insurance over the phone so i don't know what is involved . But from what I've read here there seem to be people who are saying that what was said over the phone isn't reflected in the policy. Or the company is denying things that were confirmed on the phone.
          Are the T & C actually read out to you over the phone when you are buying the policy ?

Comment

For the last few years I could not get annual insurance cover so I've always done it on a trip by trip basis. Then, when I've received the written confirmation of insurance it always clearly states what medical conditions I've reported and which ones are excluded. Of course I've always had to 'speak' to the medical referral people (can't recall the proper name for them). I've always declared anything that could be of the slightest interest or have the slightest bearing on cover - they'll soon tell you if it's relevant or not. (Ask your GP for a printout of your history - they've all got the facility these days.) Therefore, I've always been fairly clear on what I'm covered for. I really don't understand anyone NOT telling the insurance company about any possible condition. Buying travel insurance is not difficult. Getting the cover you would like at a reasonable price may be difficult but that's life! Don't try to kid the insurance company - in the event of a sizable claim they will check you out.

I don't understand why people are surprised when an insurance company proves difficult with a claim provided you've given them ALL your medical history and they then confirm what's covered and what's not covered it's then quite clear to both sides. Then again if you don't get a detailed confirmation then that suggests to me a rather dodgy insurance company who may prove to be difficult in the event of a claim.

If your GP says you can travel but you can't get cover for certain conditions then that's when you decide whether to go and take a chance or stay at home. I go and take a chance - I don't want to stay at home. If my GP or Consultant said don't go then I wouldn't.

cheers
            Harvey

Comment

Harvey we too often go take a chance but remain in Europe.
              I've had friends who had great problems with Insurance Companies. One fell down a flight of stairs. She clearly remembered some one tripping and saying sorry as he pushed her. When she fell this person again said how sorry he was for the trouble he'd caused. Unfortunately she was in such pain that she didn't think of taking his name and address or of asking for details of witnesses. When she put in a claim the Insurance Company said she wasn't covered as some years previously she had claimed for an attack of vertigo.
              It's very difficult to prove that certain accidents or illnesses are not connected to some pre-existing complaint.

Comment

My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes and we were offered ridiculously high insurance with the Co-op with whom we have booked our next cruise. We got a much better deal through using Diabetes UK insurers, yes we still had to pay more, but not three times as much as the first insurers.

What really annoyed me was that he had an investigation for cancer, the biopsy was normal and he doesn't need any further checks for five years but the insurers still charged more. I was so worried after reading that if you forget to tell them things they might not pay out that I rang them back and mentioned my stiff neck for which I take anti-inflammatories from time to time. They said they only had one grading for stiff neck and it was something like torticollis (which I don't have) but they loaded the price up for that too.

Isn't there something coming in soon where the onus is on the insurer to ask all the necessary questions in the right way and providing you answer them honestly they can't penalise you? I thought I heard there was, and not before time.

Thanks to Harvey for mentioning getting a print out from the doctor, I wouldn't have thought of doing that.
                Liz
                x
                Last edited by Liz, Harrogate; 24th September 2011, 08:59 PM. Reason: add thanks to Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
                  In actual fact I've never bought any form of insurance over the phone so i don't know what is involved . But from what I've read here there seem to be people who are saying that what was said over the phone isn't reflected in the policy. Or the company is denying things that were confirmed on the phone.
                  Are the T & C actually read out to you over the phone when you are buying the policy ?
                  I don't think they could read the terms and conditions over the phone it would take to long. I have an annual worldwide policy that has all sorts of cover including winter sports and North America, even has a £3,000 cover for things like the Volcano problem we had last year.
                  Always read the little print section 5 subclause nine tiny bit in the corner, if there is a way of getting out of paying the insurance company will do it

Comment

Originally posted by Liz, Harrogate View Post
                    My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes and we were offered ridiculously high insurance with the Co-op with whom we have booked our next cruise. We got a much better deal through using Diabetes UK insurers, yes we still had to pay more, but not three times as much as the first insurers.

What really annoyed me was that he had an investigation for cancer, the biopsy was normal and he doesn't need any further checks for five years but the insurers still charged more. I was so worried after reading that if you forget to tell them things they might not pay out that I rang them back and mentioned my stiff neck for which I take anti-inflammatories from time to time. They said they only had one grading for stiff neck and it was something like torticollis (which I don't have) but they loaded the price up for that too.

Isn't there something coming in soon where the onus is on the insurer to ask all the necessary questions in the right way and providing you answer them honestly they can't penalise you? I thought I heard there was, and not before time.

Thanks to Harvey for mentioning getting a print out from the doctor, I wouldn't have thought of doing that.
                    Liz
                    x
                    Hi Liz,

I should have mentioned that months ago in another Ins. thread.
                    My father rattled because he had to take that many tablets from Warfarin to steroids, eleven different ones a day. So I when I phoned Saga for an ins. quote, I always had his repeat 'script in front of me, anotated with what the condition was for each tablet, and a printout from the docs of his surgery visit history.
                    I got a print out for the two of us as well and just update it every time we go to the surgery, even if it's just for a blocked ear!!!
                    Luckily we don't visit very often at all and it seemed a bit tedious but it crosses all the t's and dots the i's.

Saga were brilliant for my father...expensive but brilliant! He had had strokes, cancer, had high bp, heart arrhythmia, polymyalgia...I was just pleased he could get insured.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X