• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good suggestions for a new year cruise for my wife and moi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good suggestions for a new year cruise for my wife and moi?

I am scratching my head as to what may be a good cruise for the New Year break? We stay home at Xmas and dish out the presents and eat etc, but like to do a cruise over the new year. We have done Ocean Village, Thompsons and Indy and a short break on Marco Polo as well, so has anyone a good idea for me for this year?

I was going to title my post "where can i go?" but some cheeky members may have used the opportunity to tell me !!!l

I dont need heat, and dont especially want to travel sardine class on a charter flight for many hours. I could do a hotel, but cruising suits me better !!

Any ideas pls?

Some friends of ours are booked on P&O Oceana for New Year ( 4 nights I think ) the usual short cruise Bruges etc, it could be a nice option if you only want a few days away, I've been to Bruges pre Xmas and it is very nice and festive.
    Jo

Comment

Hi AVB

Is cruising generally not expensive over New Year?? - or is there no restriction on budget.

I visited Florence pre-Christmas 20 years ago and the hotelier said the city becomes very busy with visitors expecting events - but most people bring in the New Year at home.

How about Edinburgh?? - can be mad and weather not always reliable.

Although I am booked to travel in March 2013, I plan a post-New Year escape of a few days on the 2nd or 3rd.

New Year can be over-hyped.

Annie

Comment

Aren't these so called mini cruises just a glorified ferry trip?
        And from the feedback I'm reading a lot of people are using them for stag and hen parties and booze cruises.
        Regards
        Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
          Hi AVB

Is cruising generally not expensive over New Year?? - or is there no restriction on budget.

I visited Florence pre-Christmas 20 years ago and the hotelier said the city becomes very busy with visitors expecting events - but most people bring in the New Year at home.

How about Edinburgh?? - can be mad and weather not always reliable.

Although I am booked to travel in March 2013, I plan a post-New Year escape of a few days on the 2nd or 3rd.

New Year can be over-hyped.

Annie
          Hi Annie. There is always a budget restriction (i aint a banker by the way). But I am getting some ideas in my head and will wait for a bargain to come my way. Down here in Thatcham-sur-mer it costs to go in pubs at new year, and a taxi after is just plain silly. So cruising is my choice. If i brass it out till the first week in January i see some bargains can be had as well. I havent stayed at home on new year for over 20 years, and have been to some great hotels, Antwerp is very good, and even Calais was good. My fall back is Beni, but that can be expensive as well. But i need to keep looking. I see MSC have a decent price as well?

Comment

Hi AVB

Generally airlines charge a premium for flights between 15th-31st December,

In my part of the world, it is traditional to bring in the bells at home and then go first footing.
            I have never spent Hogmany in a pub
            For many years in my part of the world it was traditional for pubs and restaurants to close early and allow the staff time to go home.
            Taxis - what are those?? We walk

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Hi AVB

Generally airlines charge a premium for flights between 15th-31st December,

In my part of the world, it is traditional to bring in the bells at home and then go first footing.
              I have never spent Hogmany in a pub
              For many years in my part of the world it was traditional for pubs and restaurants to close early and allow the staff time to go home.
              Taxis - what are those?? We walk

Annie
              Hi again Annie. I guess the english dont have that sort of tradition about being at home? Last New Year on Indy was excellent (between Vigo ans Lisbon) and we partied till late (or early). Lisbon on New Years day was DEAD !!!!!!!!!! But the weather was good and we had a stay on board day. From The Chateua AVB to Newbury is ~4 miles, and we did walk back one night ............. i snowed ............. and snowed, and we were like drowned rats !!! Took us 2 1/2 hrs to walk back as well. Never again ............ ever.

Comment

I would wait awhile AVB, the prices dropped last year , there are already some new year cruises on this website for the Med. CG
                sigpic

Comment

All being well the family will have time off over Christmas but we are holding on to see what is available nearer the date for New Year and, if plans go awry, and leave is cancelled, then we shall do one of both the festive periods as we did in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed, despite our misgivings.

In 2010 we booked in August but last year there seemed to plenty of availablility nearer the date.
                  Last edited by Diva18, UK; 13th August 2012, 06:26 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.

Comment

So what crusie did you take in 2010? any specific that you prefer? It always nice to celebrate such occassions with families away at some exoctic destination where you and your family can make your accassions more memorable. I have been planning the same, but it will be my first time this year to celebrate my new year's on a cruise with my family

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      Aren't these so called mini cruises just a glorified ferry trip?
                      And from the feedback I'm reading a lot of people are using them for stag and hen parties and booze cruises.
                      Regards
                      Garfield
                      And pray tell what is wrong with a ferry trip?I hav done many three/four day mini cruises and they were good value.

Jim

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X