• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone collect cruise-cards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone collect cruise-cards?

I've recently started collecting cruise cards
    having discovered much variation in their design
    even within one cruise line -Carnival particularly!

Just wondering if there are any other rabid collectors (of anything..you know how it is..)

Some people call them ship-cards, even cabin-keys
    but you know what I mean...
    the little plastic cards you're given at check-in, just before you board!

Some people throw them out when they get back home (sacrilege!)
    but many also keep them.

In case you've been keeping them for 'some unknown reason'
    I'd like to offer my albums as that reason!

D.Hunt,
    Erdiston Drive
    Pine Gdns, St. Michael
    BARBADOS

will have my eternal gratitude!

All I ask is that you use no Scotch tape to hold them in place, within the envelope!
    Bin there..done that..ruined card(de-laminated!)

Would love to hear from anyone who's interested

pcdoctor (at) caribsurf dot com

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

I've been collecting them since their inception, a nice little pile, but you can't have any, they're mine, all mine!......He..He.........Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

Or mine

Yes I have some too. The thing that tickled my fancy was imprinted on the first card, it said "IMAGINATION LATE". Now I know I'm a slow learner but that is an annotation that I wouldn't enjoy. ......Neil

Comment

Imagination Late!

Snap! I've got one too!!!
        Last edited by Wilba; 3rd July 2009, 07:27 PM.
        Wilba

Comment

I have a selection as well but were not likely to be able to make any money on eBay selling them !!!...Bill
          Bill Byth
          sigpic
          Website

Comment

U got a scanner?

Originally posted by Bill Blyth, Dundee View Post
            I have a selection as well
            but were not likely to be able to make any money on eBay selling them !!
            Doing a private deal might be the way to go.

Btw...they're not worth a fortune, but you will get a little something for them.

Please Email me at pcdoctor (at) caribsurf dot com

Comment

Yes I do too and stick em in my album - but since last year Cunard always make us return them :-(

Comment

Originally posted by paul, inkpen View Post
                Yes I do too and stick em in my album - but since last year Cunard always make us return them :-(
                That's why you pay Cunard the big bucks...
                so they can hang onto your ten cents bit of fond memorabilia. Unreal.
                Sorry but..DNC Does Not Compute.

Same nonsense with Ocean Village.
                The excuse is some crap about "security concerns" -give me a break!

Comment

Originally posted by Aplmac, Barbados, W.Indies View Post
                  Just wondering if there are any other rabid collectors (of anything..you know how it is..)
                  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one collecting cruise stuff :o

In addition to pretty well everything from the last few years, I've got albums for my trips to and from Australia (as a child) in the early sixties - menus, daily times, brochures, ships' plans, etc., etc. It's interesting that many of the items, e.g. 'crossing the equator certificates', are of a much higher quality than the new stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave, Whitstable View Post
                    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one collecting cruise stuff :o

In addition to pretty well everything from the last few years,
                    I've got albums for my trips to and from Australia (as a child) in the early sixties
                    - menus, daily times, brochures, ships' plans, etc., etc.

It's interesting that many of the items, e.g. 'crossing the equator certificates',
                    are of a much higher quality than the new stuff!
                    Not that I'd ever admit this in public, or on an internet Forum or anything
                    but I keep a folder per cruise, into which I put any asociated paper items
                    e.g. receipts for the cruise tickets, onboard newspapers, brochures, the final tally on the last night,
                    -whatever I end up keeping.

I even have a chocolate wrapper from a Carnival cruise (don't ask!)

Now and then the stash comes in handy for reference.

I'll tell you one thing that seems to have improved
                    and that is the basic plastic blank your cruise card is printed on!

I now have two pre-Y2K cards
                    -and the first thing I noticed was how much thinner they were, back then
                    and consequently more flexible than today's issue
                    which is probably why they had to beef up the quality
                    (I reckon bent cards don't read in Boink! machines so well?)

Can anyone tell me more
                    about this unusual, non-standard-issue Carnival card??

Comment

Originally posted by paul, inkpen View Post
                      Yes we had to hand ours in when we left Brilliance of the Seas in February....when I queried it they said it was for 'security reasons' !!

Comment

Frankly, I don't believe it!

Originally posted by morris, st. columb View Post
                        Yes we had to hand ours in when we left Brilliance of the Seas in February
                        ....when I queried it they said it was for 'security reasons' !!
                        And that's when you just remember...
                        Oh heck -I packed them in my big luggage which has already gone ashore..hours ago!
                        Here's my passport -use that to check me out and off the ship. ;)

How come Carnival lets you keep their card?
                        Are their computers and security systems smarter than other lines?
                        Do 99.999% of cruise-cards have expiry dates on them?

Comment

Yes we had to hand ours in when we left Brilliance of the Seas in February....when I queried it they said it was for 'security reasons' !!
                          Not so on the Legend in May, & if they'd asked there would have been a row as I've been collecting these for years.........
                          Wilba

Comment

Obviously depends who is on the gangway when you leave the ship!!! We've always been able to keep them in the past so we presumed it was a new ruling...

Comment

Obviously depends who is on the gangway when you leave the ship!!!
                              We've always been able to keep them in the past, so we presumed it was a new ruling...
                              No no..it(the reason/excuse) changes all the time.

Usually, it's when they've got a computer glitch and the Boink! machine isn't working
                              and so they have to take your card so they can (later)manually take you out of the system
                              as having disembarked at the end of your cruise
                              but usually (usually) they let you keep it -at least the American cruise lines seem to.

Last edited by Aplmac, Barbados; 6th July 2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X