• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

friend of dorothy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA View Post
    Friends of Bill W are a social network, part of Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Friends of Dorothy are gay men...
    I guess if you had a Friends of Dorothy , Bill W and Redcaps , it would be a full house.

Comment

Surely they aren't allowed to discriminate like that?! It should be open to anyone gay/lesbian/bi/straight? Isn't that the whole point of going on a cruise, i.e. to be able to CHOOSE how you spend your leisure time? Does that mean the library is only open to nerds and the gym to jocks? Boycott it and choose a different cruise line, I would!

Comment

They can 'discriminate' all they want- it's just a social network, no one is being denied employment etc. You can't go and use the childrens club if you are not a child, you can't use the crew quarters unless you are a crew member, you can't use the concierge lounge unless you are a Grand suite passenger - discrimination is all around you and it's quite legal.
        If there are interested passengers then most cruise lines will provide a private lounge for a meeting of your group if requested ahead of time - there are usually large groups of all sorts of clubs/professions on board but others may not be aware- doesn't mean they have to let you in because you feel slighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA View Post
          They can 'discriminate' all they want- it's just a social network, no one is being denied employment etc. You can't go and use the childrens club if you are not a child, you can't use the crew quarters unless you are a crew member, you can't use the concierge lounge unless you are a Grand suite passenger - discrimination is all around you and it's quite legal.
          If there are interested passengers then most cruise lines will provide a private lounge for a meeting of your group if requested ahead of time - there are usually large groups of all sorts of clubs/professions on board but others may not be aware- doesn't mean they have to let you in because you feel slighted.
          Well said! Quite right in my opinion. Maggiemou

Comment

Friends of Dorothy

Hi, sorry to hear you were excluded from the above referenced group. However, bear in mind that what you see is what you get, or what's on the box is what's in the box. The Friends of Dorothy relates to Tin Man, Scarecrow and The cowardly lion from Wizard of Oz. Dorothy befriends the "underdogs" and in the gay world she is the ultimate Fag Hag...you probably know all this already. Surely therefore Friends of Dorothy should be clear that its a gay men's group. It's a bit like men knowing that they are not welcome at the Women's Institute...not so much not welcome perhaps, but the group is just not directed towards men. This is where the Lesbian community need to either create more social events for themselves (and feel free to exclude men), or fight to have more inclusive GLBT events.

Comment

i often wondered who Dorothy was now i know

Comment

I am a little bit amazed by this as we have traveled with Cunard a fair number of times and have never known anyone turned away from a FOD meet up.
                As a Gay Man I too do find the FOD name slightly old fashioned and wonder why it is used, as many young Gay men would have no idea what it meant, where as Pride or LGBT Meet would be much more useful.

Also Cunard hold these at strange times during the day, where as Celebrity Eclipse's FOD meet was at Cocktail Hour (7pm), which made much more sense.

If we go to these FOD meetings does that make us FODDER!

Comment

It puzzles me rather, given that FOD meetings are not organised by the male gay cruisers themselves but are simply scheduled by the cruise director on each ship. Who, therefore, is laying down the law on who can attend here? It's being assumed by some people that FOD refers only to gay men, but I know a few gay women who would be surprised to hear they cannot include themselves.

Comment

Ignore them next time...

Originally posted by meezer, nottingham View Post
                    it wasnt staff but a fod passenger
                    This person was clearly misguided, mysognist and rude. Sadly LGBT or not idiots happen!!

Whilst under the circumstances standing your ground is difficult, and being where someone really doesnt want you to be is uncomfortable go for it girl!!

My issue is that the cruise staff don't support the mixers... why not they do for singles!!

Posh

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X