• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian couple to sue over gay cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our ship was followed around by another ship running a gay cruise. I don't think of myself as bigoted but I did not want to see a gay couple kissing or being all over each other, no more than I would want to see a heterosexual couple doing the same. The ship berthed opposite ours in Turks and Caicos and I hoped I didn't see anything untoward in the cabins opposite. I'd hate to be on a ship full of gays. Don't mind their lifestyle, just wouldn't want it in my face, so to speak.

On a lighter note, they were poking fun at Artemis saying how much bigger their ship was - until someone said, yeah but we're going up the Amazon ! They shut up after that !

Comment

I did a transatlantic on Slendour of the Seas from Galveston , and had a wonderful trip to Barcelona, no problems, met some great Americans, shared a large table with some othersand we all got on famously.It must have been sheer bad luck to end up on a cruise like that.CG
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by POSH-bird, Bournemouth View Post
        This is a discussion forum; so I am pleased to discuss my views and yours

I am not going to defend my statement.. because I spent ages putting it together and believe in what I wrote.

Not least because I lived for 12 nights with raging bigoted behaviour, including exiting conversations where it appeared appropriate to discuss Barak Obama as the 'N in the white house' as if this was an acceptable manner of communication.

That behaviour is offensive to me, and where no-one else challenges it it is easy to develop a notion that it is a part of the mainstream view. Actually my observation on this occassion was that listeners endorsed the comment, one of them saying 'Amen to that'

I dont condemn Texans; but recommend if you are LGBT (which you are not, therefore the comment does not apply to you) you will be uncomfortable on that type of a tour.

As a white straight male I suspect you have not encountered overt bigotry in they way I experienced this cruise. Or indeed could empathise with the outcome of homophobia which is that by allowing your own difference to be known, you can put yourself at emotional and physical risk.

However perhaps I can refer you to my comments about the home of the Alamo. Full of Texans and I did state that I encountered no issues there - where cultural difference is much wider.

So actually not only are you fortunate in your experiences to date, you missed the point. In the enclosed environment of a ship, you need to make good choices for yourself as an LGBT person.

Posh

You need to go back to college and take an NVQ in Equality and Diversity.

you have fallen into the same trap as you criticize others for :o

Stereo typing

Not all Texans are homophobic, just by the law of averages their must be Gays and others that have no bias.

Comment

I just think it is very sad that people cannot accept other people for what they are and not make assumption because of their colour, sexual orientation, religion, nationality or gender. does the Bible not say God made us equal and in his own image?
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I agree, Issy,
            It wouldn't bother me if everyone else on a cruise was of a different sexual orientation, religion, colour etc from me. I hope I would learn to either fit in or accept their differences. We're all different in one way or another.
            Angela

Comment

Originally posted by Toongirl, Newcastle View Post
              I agree, Issy,
              It wouldn't bother me if everyone else on a cruise was of a different sexual orientation, religion, colour etc from me. I hope I would learn to either fit in or accept their differences. We're all different in one way or another.
              Angela
              I love meeting people that are 'different', and I mean that nicely, as they are soooooo very interesting. or is it that I am just so nosey as I ask a lot of questions? :D well I blame it on the day job. ;)
              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
                You need to go back to college and take an NVQ in Equality and Diversity.

you have fallen into the same trap as you criticize others for :o

Stereo typing

Not all Texans are homophobic, just by the law of averages their must be Gays and others that have no bias.

Just to be clear, some of the examples of the wide spread behaviour I was exposed to on that trip and I have shared on this forum is that which we would be able to criminalise in the UK

Posh

Comment

Just to be clear, some of the examples of the wide spread behaviour I was exposed to on that trip and I have shared on this forum is that which we would be able to criminalise in the UK

Posh
                  I don't disagree with that at all. I do think, however, that our society leans more towards minorities and appears "scared" less they "upset" these minorities. - hence my earlier comment that as a white, straight married man I often feel I am in a minority.

As an aside, last week I saw a fascinating newspaper article, by a gay journalist who abhors the fact that the British Public is "bombarded" by the projection of gay presenters such as Graham Norton, Alan Carr and Gok Wan.

His point, which he put forward beautifully by the way, was that some TV executives believe the great British Public wants these quote "screaming queens" unquote thrust upon us. Furthermore, he does not believe that their TV personas match up to their private personas. Taking into account that a large proportion of individuals involved in the entertainment industry are gay anyway, why do executives believe we need the "over the top" versions forced down our throats?

If it had been a straight journalist who had written this article there would have been hell to pay, lest we "upset" some proportion of the the British population!

PS.

I have always admired the Texans, ever since I first saw "The Alamo". I thought the Dallas/Fort Worth area was very nice and as with most of the USA they are allowed to be patriotic without anyone complaining!

Live and let live I say POSH-Bird.

Regards
                  PM
                  CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
                  OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
                  VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
                  VENTURA Feb 2014

Comment

I have absolutely no problems with anyone's ethnicity, sexuality, etc. However I would have found it very uncomfortable to have been on the ship where passengers were making overtly racist and homophobic statements and expecting everyone else to agree.

Whilst I agree that you can't write off the whole of one US state due to the behaviour of a selection of individuals on a cruise, I think I would have found this the most uncomfortable of all the situations described in this thread.
                    Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
                      I have absolutely no problems with anyone's ethnicity, sexuality, etc. However I would have found it very uncomfortable to have been on the ship where passengers were making overtly racist and homophobic statements and expecting everyone else to agree.

Whilst I agree that you can't write off the whole of one US state due to the behaviour of a selection of individuals on a cruise, I think I would have found this the most uncomfortable of all the situations described in this thread.
                      Thank you!!

That was the point!

Posh

Comment

Agree - well said.

H

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                          I just think it is very sad that people cannot accept other people for what they are and not make assumption because of their colour, sexual orientation, religion, nationality or gender. does the Bible not say God made us equal and in his own image?
                          I agree IssyAlex. Excellent points. I also think that if people choose not to associate with particular groups of people then they might be missing out. Part of the fun of cruising is to get to know new people.
                          Liz
                          x

Comment

Posh
                            It is against the law to discriminate in the UK but that is employment law not criminal law

What is against the law is harassment

Comment

Then don't agree with them ask them to stop if they don't then report it.

The cruise company would have a duty of care to put a stop to harassment or face unlimited fines in the courts.

The gay community in the US are well organized and has a lot of power to make it very uncomfortable for the cruise companies.

If you don't make a stand against any form of discrimination then it just gets worse.

Comment

Originally posted by spartan, kent View Post
                                Then don't agree with them ask them to stop if they don't then report it.

The cruise company would have a duty of care to put a stop to harassment or face unlimited fines in the courts.

The gay community in the US are well organized and has a lot of power to make it very uncomfortable for the cruise companies.

If you don't make a stand against any form of discrimination then it just gets worse.
                                I would like to think that I would do exactly that, were I ever in such a situation.
                                Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X