• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian couple to sue over gay cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Italian couple to sue over gay cruise

    A couple who went on a cruise not knowing that it was for gay men are attempting to sue the organisers.

    The unnamed Italian couple booked a trip from Civitvecchia to Barcelona, not realising the specialist nature of the boat, the Daily Mail reports.

    A lawyer for the pair said that they had been "embarrassed" after they saw people on the cruise who they did not know were gay.

    However, Alessio De Giorgio, one of the organisers of the cruise, told the publication: "This is a clear case of homophobia. Nothing scandalous happened. It is a clear example of how prevalent homophobia is in this country."

    The cruise was the first of its type in Italy and attracted a lot of media attention at its launch.

    The pair are planning to sue the cruise organisers Grimaldi claiming that they did not make it clear that the cruise was meant for gay men and women.

    #2
    Good job it wasn't one of those 'Nude' Cruises. Now that would have been even more embarassing!

    Comment


      #3
      I think they should be required to tell you of any large group that has in effect chartered the ship. There are group bookings on every cruise, but if a group is large and it takes over facilities then it affects your cruise if you are restricted from using them.
      I think you should be made aware so that you can choose whether it's a group you want to be around or not.

      Comment


        #4
        Whose fault?

        Maybe the crux of the matter lies in the first few words of the article:

        A couple who went on a cruise not knowing that it was for gay men are attempting to sue the organisers.

        Almost certainly this was bad planning, but whose bad planning? Was it the bad planning of the couple who should have read about the cruise before booking or was it the bad planning of the cruise line who should have warned the couple of the main theme of the cruise? .....Neil

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA View Post
          I think they should be required to tell you of any large group that has in effect chartered the ship. There are group bookings on every cruise, but if a group is large and it takes over facilities then it affects your cruise if you are restricted from using them.
          I think you should be made aware so that you can choose whether it's a group you want to be around or not.
          In my 'favourites', I have a web address which takes me to an independent site that has up to date information on large groups which have booked for any HAL cruise. Any group which comprises over half the ships passenger list could affect the cruise so I always look at this site prior to booking.
          Last edited by Mrs M; 17th October 2009, 06:54 AM.

          Comment


            #6
            Groups

            Originally posted by Morton View Post
            In my 'favourites', I have a web address which takes me to an independent site that has up to date information on large groups which have booked for any HAL cruise. Any group which comprises over half the ships passenger list could affect the cruise so I always look at this site prior to booking.
            Mr. Morton,

            Is there a web address available for all cruise lines. This information about large group bookings would be very helpful......Seismiccruiser.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Seismiccruiser, Wigan UK View Post
              Morton,

              Is there a web address available for all cruise lines. This information about large group bookings would be very helpful......Seismiccruiser.
              Hi Seismiccruiser. I don't know if this is going to help you but this is the site I use but it is specific to Holland America. Hope it will be of use. J[Mrs]
              http://www.wa70.com/hdisplay.php

              Comment


                #8
                Interestingly, the article claims both that the cruise was for gay men and that it was for both gay men and women. As both genders were therefore represented and catered for aboard, I can't see what the grounds for a lawsuit might be. Some people will, however, moan regardless.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Many Thanks J.
                  Fascinating website regarding HAL.

                  Seismiccruiser........

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                    Maybe the crux of the matter lies in the first few words of the article:

                    A couple who went on a cruise not knowing that it was for gay men are attempting to sue the organisers.

                    Almost certainly this was bad planning, but whose bad planning? Was it the bad planning of the couple who should have read about the cruise before booking or was it the bad planning of the cruise line who should have warned the couple of the main theme of the cruise? .....Neil
                    Maybe your friend Phil McCavity can tell us?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      HI, I sympathise with you, having experienced something similar this year.

                      I went on a 3 week Caribbean/Transatlantic cruise, and I was never warned about the fact that the majority of people on board turned out to be hetrosexual!

                      I didn't complain that I wasn't warned, as it turned out that I had a lot of fun, and now, I can say that I even have hetrosexuals as my friends!

                      Now, when I book another cruise, I'll just accept whatever groups of people are on board, even hetrosexuals, as at the end of the day, we are all human, and want the same things... love/companionship etc, (even if that means between people of the opposite sex), it won't bother me, I've learned to be more tolerant, since my last cruise.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by misterdrew, Stamford View Post
                        HI, I sympathise with you, having experienced something similar this year.

                        I went on a 3 week Caribbean/Transatlantic cruise, and I was never warned about the fact that the majority of people on board turned out to be hetrosexual!

                        I didn't complain that I wasn't warned, as it turned out that I had a lot of fun, and now, I can say that I even have hetrosexuals as my friends!

                        Now, when I book another cruise, I'll just accept whatever groups of people are on board, even hetrosexuals, as at the end of the day, we are all human, and want the same things... love/companionship etc, (even if that means between people of the opposite sex), it won't bother me, I've learned to be more tolerant, since my last cruise.
                        Hi Misterdrew, welcome to the Forum, your first post and a brilliant one at that! Hope my comment doesn't sound patronising, but you have just summed up this 'Narrow minded' attitude so well. Regards Lizzie.
                        Last edited by Lizzie, Lymington; 19th October 2009, 08:52 PM. Reason: Changed a word!
                        Lizzie sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                          Hi Misterdrew, welcome to the Forum, your first post and a brilliant one at that! Hope my comment doesn't sound patronising, but you have just summed up this 'Narrow minded' attitude so well. Regards Lizzie.
                          Hear, hear Lizzie!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by misterdrew, Stamford View Post
                            HI, I sympathise with you, having experienced something similar this year.

                            I went on a 3 week Caribbean/Transatlantic cruise, and I was never warned about the fact that the majority of people on board turned out to be hetrosexual!

                            I didn't complain that I wasn't warned, as it turned out that I had a lot of fun, and now, I can say that I even have hetrosexuals as my friends!

                            Now, when I book another cruise, I'll just accept whatever groups of people are on board, even hetrosexuals, as at the end of the day, we are all human, and want the same things... love/companionship etc, (even if that means between people of the opposite sex), it won't bother me, I've learned to be more tolerant, since my last cruise.
                            :D Excellent. You made my night

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think I'd be concerned if my wife and I turned out to be the only heterosexual people on a ship, as I would if we were the only English people. I don't think that's anything to do with homophobia or racism, it's about being comfortable in the environment.
                              It's a corny comment but we have friends who are homosexual and of other races, some who are both . . . .
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X