• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iron in cabin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron in cabin

Is it right that you are not allowed a iron in your cabin? I'm going on my first cruise in a few weeks time on the thomson island escape, and was wondering if the rule is strict or can I get away with using one? I don't fancy walking around in wrinkled cloths

Hi there.
    Cruise companies don't allow them because they're considered a fire risk.

Comment

Some cruise lines have a laundry room with an ironing board and washing machines etc. I don't know about Thomson.

If not, I find hanging clothes up in the bathroom while you have a shower is quite effective at getting rid of all but the most stubborn of wrinkles. It's also worth remembering that everyone is in the same boat (if you'll pardon the pun) so a few wrinkles won't look altogether out of place.

Happy Cruising!
      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Thx Pipa and Duncan, I'll have to pack carefully. Happy cruising !

Comment

Have a smashing cruise, Keith.

Hubby & I did a western Med cruise on Island Escape in 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thomson's crew are some of the happiest/friendliest at sea, we feel.

Comment

Thx again Pippa, I'm looking forward to it. Everyone I talk to says the crew are the friendliest they've sailed with. Me and the Mrs have never sailed before, so we're quite exited

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
              ... so a few wrinkles won't look altogether out of place.
              Clothes and skin!
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Keith, Merthyr Tydfil View Post
                Thx Pipa and Duncan, I'll have to pack carefully. Happy cruising !
                You can also place the wrinkled clothes under the mattress, overnight the wrinkles will be sorted out.

Comment

No need for iron, first take care packing (lots of tips online).I line suitcase with bubblewrap to prevent contents slipping around, then layer contents between tissue paper. I place shoes wrapped in old shower caps at the bottom of the case,with undies/accessories etc. tucked around. Follow with jeans and trousers and finally tops,dresses etc. It helps if the case is really full so there is no slippage. Toiletries and cosmetics are always packed separately.... Best thing about sailing from UK , posh frocks etc can be carried on board in a suit carrier.I wear linen at home in the Summer,but hardly ever take it on holiday it's not worth the hassle.There are laundry rooms on some ships I have never had need to use them..As a last resort there is a pressing service !!

Comment

Like Poshtotty, I love wearing linen it the summer,but never take it on holiday now,nothing more scruffy looking than creased linen! Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa, Kernow View Post
                      Hi there.
                      Cruise companies don't allow them because they're considered a fire risk.
                      THEY ARE A FIRE RISK , fires on ships kill people, change your mindset if you want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        THEY ARE A FIRE RISK , fires on ships kill people, change your mindset if you want to cruise.
                        That comment could have been phrased more politely, especially to a new cruiser! I'd hate them to get the impression that people will speak to them like that!

Cruisers are generally much more polite and willing to help not censure.

Have a great first cruise!

Alan

Comment

Some of the Thomson ships have free laundry and irons....I'm not sure about IE, though. You could Google, as someone somewhere will mention this.
                          Yes, not having ironing facilities can be a drag, but our favoured lines all supply this. I have a wardrobe of man -made fabrics, which I never wear otherwise, which come in handy for cruising.
                          Jo.

Comment

Sorry, I've just looked in Berlitz, and it says IE doesn't have a self service laundry.....pack well, and hang the creased ones up in the shower!
                            Jo.

Comment

I take my travel steamer with me for freshening up things and also use the laundry for ironing.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X