• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duty free ? is it 200 ciggs and 1 litre spirit? total for round trip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duty free ? is it 200 ciggs and 1 litre spirit? total for round trip?

So the duty free allowance is often said to be 200 cigs and 1 litre spirits

but howabout

A) if you are flying out and back from UK to Barbados

can you buy twice? (once at gatwick and again at bridgetown) so in affect get 400 cigs and 2 bottles of 1 litre spirits on one holiday?

How about

B) you go on a cruise leaving Southampton and due back Southampton

the ship visits Norway (an non EU duty free Country)... If you buy ciggs/spirits there, can you claim TAX back in say Olso and bring back as duty free?

thanks

Hello Waney,

Please note below the extract from the HMRC website regarding Duty Free Allowances from non EU countries, hope this helps to answer your question.

Duty and tax free allowances - arrivals from non EU countries
    The allowances below cover the most common items that you can bring into the UK duty and/or tax-free from outside the EU.
    You must also meet certain conditions listed in the section 'Additional conditions when bringing goods into the UK'. If you don't meet these conditions or you go over your allowance you'll have to pay any Customs Duty, Excise Duty and/or Import VAT due (VAT will also be due on any duties that may be charged).
    For passengers who are in transit and changing flights in an EU airport there are set conditions that apply regarding liquids, including any duty-free purchases you've made.
    Alcohol allowances
    You can bring in either, but not both, of the following:
    • 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22 per cent volume
    • 2 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry), sparkling wine or any other alcoholic drink that's less than 22 per cent volume
    Or you can combine these allowances. For example, if you bring in one litre of fortified wine (half your full allowance) you can also bring in half a litre of spirits (half your full allowance). This would make up your full allowance. You can't go over your total alcohol allowance.
    In addition you may also bring back both of the following:
    • 16 litres of beer
    • 4 litres of still wine
    Tobacco allowances
    You can bring in one from the following list:
    • 200 cigarettes
    • 100 cigarillos
    • 50 cigars
    • 250g of tobacco
    Or you can combine these allowances. For example, if you bring in 100 cigarettes (half your full allowance) you can also bring in 25 cigars (half your full allowance). This would make up your full tobacco allowance. You can't go over your total tobacco allowance.
    You cannot combine alcohol and tobacco allowances.

The point to note is that these allowances apply on your return to the U.K.

Cheers
    Bob

Comment

thats good and fine as London airports have good Duty free shops.

So if I buy say 200 ciggs from the outward flight from Gatwick to Bridgetown.
      Can i then buy another 200 ciggs from Bridgetown (where the shop may not have the ciggs i am after) to Gatwick?

If I do is by duty free allowance still okay?

Comment

Originally posted by waney, london View Post
        thats good and fine as London airports have good Duty free shops.

So if I buy say 200 ciggs from the outward flight from Gatwick to Bridgetown.
        Can i then buy another 200 ciggs from Bridgetown (where the shop may not have the ciggs i am after) to Gatwick?

If I do is by duty free allowance still okay?

200 is 200.
        It's not 200 + 200 so smoke the first lot before you get back to Gatwick

Comment

If you buy 200 on the way out and smoke them during your holiday, you would have loose packs in your case, pockets, hand luggage etc. I have never heard of customs ever worrying about these odd packs

Comment

Also found that St. Maartens (if your going there) was the cheapest place to buy them

Comment

I can never understand people spending thousands of pounds on a holiday, and then going nuts about saving three or four pounds on a bottle of spirits. It's not worth it.

Stewart

Comment

yes 17th jan Cruise stops @ St Maartens :d

are you saying the smokes are priced better than duty free at gatwick airport?

if so more details please

p.s do they have any luxury clothing brand outlets in the carribean island where we could pickup polo tops and hangbags for great prices

thx in advance

Comment

Yes, cheaper than Gatwick, no idea about any luxury or designer outlets, don't do shopping at home, not going to start on holiday.
                  Problem with buying spirits or any drink is you have to carry it around and if you are bringing it back its got to go in your case. Not something I would ever trust to baggage handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by waney, london View Post
                    yes 17th jan Cruise stops @ St Maartens :d

are you saying the smokes are priced better than duty free at gatwick airport?

if so more details please

p.s do they have any luxury clothing brand outlets in the carribean island where we could pickup polo tops and hangbags for great prices

thx in advance
                    Certainly do, beach outlets with shifty looking retailers, in particular.

Just make sure that croc faces the correct way [and watch his open jaws, they look strange sometimes] and the handbag has a decent fastening.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Just make sure that croc faces the correct way [and watch his open jaws, they look strange sometimes] and the handbag has a decent fastening.
                      The OH got some fantastic Nike shorts, for a few quid, and they lasted her 2 more holidays before falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

You're surely not talking knock-offs Mrs M?

Comment

I thought they were called 'genuine fakes' these days.....Carol

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                          You're surely not talking knock-offs Mrs M?

Comment

but howabout

A) if you are flying out and back from UK to Barbados

can you buy twice? (once at gatwick and again at bridgetown) so in affect get 400 cigs and 2 bottles of 1 litre spirits on one holiday?
                            Hi Waney.
                            Yes, you can get in affect 200 + 200.
                            If you buy one sleeve (200) of Duty Free ciggies at UK airport,as long as you don't open them,you can buy 200 Duty Free at Bridgetown,and bring both back in legally.
                            I have tested it with Customs at Liverpool JLA.
                            Make sure you keep the UK receipt.
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi Waney.
                              Yes, you can get in affect 200 + 200.
                              If you buy one sleeve (200) of Duty Free ciggies at UK airport,as long as you don't open them,you can buy 200 Duty Free at Bridgetown,and bring both back in legally.
                              I have tested it with Customs at Liverpool JLA.
                              Make sure you keep the UK receipt.
                              JC
                              Not sure this would work JC.
                              Barbados customs do not allow 'quantities' of cigarettes although they allow 1 litre of Potable spirits.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X