• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Timer off to Norweigian Ffords in June Need advice ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Timer off to Norweigian Ffords in June Need advice ....

Ive just found your wonderful forums and the vast amount of advice and reviews is amazing, Im going on my first cruise in June with a lady that i look after, im nervous about the whole cruise thing and also wondering about how to adapt our stops.
    The lady i look after is in a wheelchair 24/7 we have booked into a disabled room, Although im getting a little worried after seeing things written about drill etc ? ... can anyone explain to me how this works if your with a disabled companion?

Also the ports we have been told there will probably be one that she wont be able to go to due to the docking of the ship and this is fine, but wondering if we did go into ports is there anything we can do? .. would there be cafes close to hand etc because there is no way i can get her onto a bus or train.

Also the whole currency thing for onboard, Do you have to have a credit card? Ive been turned down for one in the past so not sure if ill have a problem or not.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer myself and my friend.

I cannot advise on travelling with a lady in a wheelchair but have noticed that the crew are extremely helpful to disabled passengers and you will certainly have no problems on board ship with the wheelchair. The fjords are really relaxing and even if you do not get off the ship the views are wonderful. Forum members are happy to help with information on ports but we need to know which ports you are visiting? Regards registering your credit card at check-in for on board spending I believe you can also register a debit card but best to check this with your cruise company if you do hold a debit card. Alternatively you can deposit cash at the pursers desk on arrival but your account must remain in credit at all times to enable you to make purchases on board with your cruise boarding/charge card. Please try to stop worrying, ask as many questions as you like and we will be pleased to help. You will have a lovely cruise, the fjords are so relaxing.
    Last edited by Happy, Wolverhampton; 7th January 2013, 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Oriana
    Oceana
    Ventura
    Queen Mary 2
    Queen Victoria
    Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Welcome aboard. What ship/line?
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Oh we will be travelling with P/O and on Arcadia.. Not sure which ports lol ill find out and post an update
        Im just wondering what the weather will be like in June also? ... And ideas and tips on clothing to take for me and for my friend

thanks xx

Comment

Ive found a list of places we will be calling at ..

Stavanger - Norway
          19 Jun 2013
          Olden - Norway

20 Jun 2013
          Geiranger - Norway

21 Jun 2013
          Bergen - Norway

23 Jun 2013
          Southampton -

Comment

Originally posted by piratess, hampshire View Post

Stavanger - Norway
            19 Jun 2013
            Olden - Norway

20 Jun 2013
            Geiranger - Norway

21 Jun 2013
            Bergen - Norway

23 Jun 2013
            Southampton -
            hi.

have been to these ports on a cruise a couple of years ago. You should be able to get off in Stavanger. The cafes and shops are next to the port and there is also a local market there as well selling local produce and fish of all kinds. You should also be fine in Bergen. Interesting buildings etc. next to the port. Don't expect cheap prices though a couple of cups of coffee will set you back a tenner or more. You will not be able to get off a Gerainger as it is a tender port but the views from on board are fantastic. As for the drill I would think that the crew would help you providing that you notify them that you need assistance. We went a week later than you are going and found the weather much like here but perhaps a little colder, take plenty of layers. It's bound to rain in Bergen!! Hope this is of some help. Have a lovely time. Ruth

Comment

Our first cruise was to the fjords and it was great.
              I'm sure that if you speak to P and O, they will advise you of suitable excursions.At Stavanger and Bergen the distance from dock to town should be do-able if you personally are fit...from memory, they are flat.
              At Geiranger, the view from the ship will be lovely but I recommend that you find a spot where you can watch the sail in and/or sail out of the fjord as the views are fantastic; waterfalls etc.
              Regarding packing; as you would for a holiday in the UK; layers and waterproofs, which with any luck you won't need.
              bon voyage!

Comment

Originally posted by piratess, hampshire View Post

Stavanger - Norway

not visited sorry.
                19 Jun 2013
                Olden - Norway

not visited sorry.

20 Jun 2013
                Geiranger - Norway

is a tender port but the staff may be able to help with getting your friend on/off the tender but if not the view is just amazing from the ship

21 Jun 2013
                Bergen - Norway

there is a port bus to take you both into the city where you can walk about or go on the HOHO bus.

23 Jun 2013
                Southampton -
                hi Piratess welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of cruising. I've only been to two of your ports and I have answered them in red above.

as your friend in a wheelchair the staff will help you and your friend with the muster drill. please don't worry about it. cruise staff go out of their way to be friendly and are oh so helpful. just ask.

the ship prices everything in British pounds. you will have to give a visa number when doing your online check in. everything that you buy onboard will be charged to that account but you will be able to pay by cash, if you want, at the end of the cruise.

you will/should have already been asked which dinner sitting that you want. there are 3 different ones ie early [approx 6.30pm], late [approx 8.30pm] or anytime dining [sorry don't know what P&O call it] where you will be able to go and dine when you want and with whom. you will also have picked your table size, if on set dining eg 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 people at your table. the people at your table should be able to give you some hints and tips on cruising.

hope this helps and remember if you have anymore questions then just ask and someone will be able to answer you.
                Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 13th January 2013, 02:19 PM.
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                  you will/should have already been asked which dinner sitting that you want. there are 3 different ones ie early [approx 6.30pm], late [approx 8.30pm] or anytime dining [sorry don't know what P&O call it] where you will be able to go and dine when you want and with whom. you will also have picked your table size, if on set dining eg 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 people at your table. the people at your table should be able to give you some hints and tips on cruising.
                  Arcadia does not have anytime dining or Freedom dining as P&O call it. Dining is on two sittings normally at 6:30pm and 8:30pm
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
                    Arcadia does not have anytime dining or Freedom dining as P&O call it. Dining is on two sittings normally at 6:30pm and 8:30pm
                    Brian
                    thanks Brian as I have never cruised with P&O I didn't know this.
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                      thanks Brian as I have never cruised with P&O I didn't know this.
                      Ventura, Azura and Oceana are the only ones with Freedom dining.

They dont do on line check in either to my knowledge. You check in at the terminal.
                      Brian

Comment

WOW ... thankyou so much for your replies! .. My mind feels easier now about the trip, My friend is very excited and we spent most of saturday afternoon trying to work out how much spends to take, what to wear, etc lol ..

Can i ask is there much wildlife along the way to be spotted amongst the beautiful scenery?

and also, would you say temps are like our spring etc? .. we travel on the 16th June.

Many Many thanks xx

Comment

We went to Norway in July last year on Oriana and from your list can give some advice on the following.

Stavanger
                          Easy town to get around, both on foot and with a wheelchair.

Geiranger
                          Firstly, get on top and to the bow at about 5am, and wrap up warm and take your camera. The sail into Geiranger is spectacular.

This is a tender port, so you will have to go ashore in one of the lifeboats. P&O staff will assist on and off. If you do not fancy this, it may be a great time to stay on board.

Bergen
                          When we visited, there was no shuttle to town. However, it is only about 20 mins walk.

Checking in: Go to P&O webpage: https://www.pocruises.com/YourAccount/

And if not already done so, create an account. E-mail and password. Once logged in you should see a Cruise Personaliser. Select this and complete your details, Your booking Ref: something like 1C2TTT will be on your booking form.

Once in, you can complete passport details, NOK, Insurance etc. This will save you doing it at Southampton. Your cruise personaliser will also give you access to excursions, as mentioned cruise staff go out of their way to assist disabled passengers. If you want to go on an excursion, phone P&O, explain the facts and ask them if they are wheelchair friendly.

Take a selection of clothes, if you follow my photo’s link you will see the different clothes we wore. For example, we left on an excursion in Stavanger in warm clothing and came back to 23C.

Now word of warning, Norway is expensive. Ie, 35NK for a punnet of Strawberries, 109NK for a Burger and Coke, chips extra.

Enjoy your cruise.

Link to my Norway Album: https://picasaweb.google.com/1029140...eat=directlink
                          Peter D

Link to my Photo Albums:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/PeterJD01

Comment

Both Bergen and - especially - Stavanger are wheelchair accessible, being both flat and a relatively short distance (Bergen is the longest, maybe 400m).

June is an ideal time to visit as there should still be lots of snow on the mountains as well as spring flowers and lots of fresh green.

When in the fjord country try and get up very early - say 3am. It will be light and you will see spectacular scenery. You can always have a snooze in the afternoon to catch up. A good reason to avoid late evening meal sittings.

Weather, hopefully, will be clear and sunny and not too chilly (except in the early morning).

As everyone else has said, the crew will give you lots of assistance whenever you need it - don't be afraid to ask.

Comment

Just to add it tends to always rain in Bergen as it is surrounded by hills/mountains, so is either shrouded in mist or raining a lot of the time. We have been several times to Bergen and if it is not raining, it does tend to be a bit dull. It is a lovely place though to walk around. You have the fish market which is always worth a look at the very many types of fish on offer right on the harbour side. You can also look around Bryggen which is a World Heritage site of old wooden shops along the harbour. But as others have said, it is very expensive in Norway and particularly any alcoholic drinks. In Norway, they have only specially licensed shops sell alcohol and they have made it prohibitively expensive to deter people from drinking too much and particulary in bars. So do not be surprised if you do want a alcoholic drink that you will get a massive shock at the price (several times the price here). That said, they do not charge anything for the views in Norway and you will see some wonderful scenery, including natural waterfalls, snow capped mountains and cherry blossom trees around June time. This is the best time to see greenery and trees in blossom aong the Fjords. Geraingerfjord is fantastic - you will love it.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X