• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

virgin cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

virgin cruiser

Hi,
    We are hoping to book a cruise with our two sons 6, & 7 sometime this winter/next spring.
    I have looked at a few sites and it all seems very complicated and you obviously need a fair amount of info before booking. So my question is what can you suggest to help - we are based near Barcelona and so want to stay in the Med or there abouts - which ships or cruise lines are good for first timers, should we do a mini cruise first? which cabins are better for a family (on a budget)? We want to go on holiday with our children rather than leave them in the child care facilities but would need activities to do with them. Is it better to book shore visits when booking or leave it until you are on board? etc. any thing really - I am sure it all seems very basic to anyone who has travelled this way before but it all looks very daunting from where I am! Thanks for all your advice in advance.

I would take a look at Royal Caribbean Cruises out of Barcelona. They have great kids facilities. The youth crew entertain them so much they wont want to leave but alternatively they have good pool facilities, some of the larger ships have ice rinks and rock climbining walls. If you are on a budget, an inside 4 berth cabin will be fine. The 3rd/4th person sharing with two adults go at a reduced rate, regardless of age. Some of the activities they arrange for the kids involve the parents - such as building and sailing a ship in one of the outdooor pools, science experiments, painting pillowcases.

Comment

With regards to the ships shore excursions, with two young boys I would avoid them altogehter. There is nothing worse than boring your kids on long hot coach trips. Best to do your own thing. It will work out a lot cheaper as well if you just take, plan and learn what you can from the ships excursions, then tailor them to suit yourselve - grab a taxi and tell him where you want to go. It will work out much cheaper and you are in control of how long where, etc.
      When my two boys were younger, it was usually a bit of sightseeing/shopping in the morning then in the afternoon stay on ship for the pool or do a beach.

Comment

The NCL ship Jade is doing all year cruises out of Barcelona, and has kid's clubs and a children's section of the buffet. We met 2 Brits living in Spain who get their Travel agent to ring them when special offers come up close to the sailing, and need to fill the ships quickly. They'd done 7 trips in 10 months this way. It might be worthwhile to check your nearest TA for last minutes, as you're handy for the port.- Jo.
        Jo.

Comment

Thanks for all this info.
          Are the outside cabins better than the inside - and would you always have a view from the outside or do they not all have windows? I am not sure I can live with out some natural light!!

Thanks again for the posts. I will investigate further.
          Last edited by mum of 2 first trip, Barcelona; 6th October 2009, 09:00 AM.

Comment

No not all outside cabins have a view some are obstructed with maybe a lifeboat or such like so you will not see much , if you feel like you could do without daylight for your cruise then by all means have an inside , we did try it once and really missed the window , by the way some only have portholes and others the larger window hope this helps
            life is great :D

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X