• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tilbury and Cruise and Maritime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilbury and Cruise and Maritime

TILBURY AND CRUISE AND MARITIME.

I note that neither Tilbury nor Cruise and Maritime are mentioned in the new Foder`s European Cruise guide which seems somewhat strange to me, almost as if they don`t exist and seldom do you find comments on this subject.

I`d welcome some feedback as we are travelling on "Marco Polo" at the end of August for a bank holiday minicruise.

Marco Polo seems to be a renamed ship (so did another company own it before? Is there are Russian connection?). We`re really lucky as we`ve been upgraded twice from an ordinary outside twin to a junior suite and we are getting to Tilbury from Fenchurch street by train with free bus transfer to the adjacent ferry crossing point (to Gravesend).

Any comments or tips reference transport, the docks and the ship gratefully received.

Ship`s cat - Stockport.

Tilbury Town Station is a few miles from the cruise terminal. Is there a shuttle bus for you?
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Powell, Stockport View Post

I note that neither Tilbury nor Cruise and Maritime are mentioned in the new Foder`s European Cruise guide which seems somewhat strange to me, almost as if they don`t exist and seldom do you find comments on this subject.

I`d welcome some feedback as we are travelling on "Marco Polo" at the end of August for a bank holiday minicruise.

Marco Polo seems to be a renamed ship (so did another company own it before? Is there are Russian connection?). We`re really lucky as we`ve been upgraded twice from an ordinary outside twin to a junior suite and we are getting to Tilbury from Fenchurch street by train with free bus transfer to the adjacent ferry crossing point (to Gravesend).

Any comments or tips reference transport, the docks and the ship gratefully received.

Ship`s cat - Stockport.
      Hi Here's a link to short history of the ship (Marco Polo)
      MS Marco Polo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

There are lots of readers reviews in our review section.

I toured Marco Polo a few years ago when NCL purchased her from 'Orient Lines'. The ship is a nice traditional ship not unlike Fred Olsen's 'Black Watch' (or sister Boudicca) in terms of design, although a little smaller.

She has an ice-strengthened hull and used to go to Antarctica each year.

Her interiors were somewhat 'plain' and a little 'tired', her cabins a little dated, at the time. However I'm sure she generates a very friendly atmosphere.

At Tilbury MP seems to be very popular with the 'grey pound'.
        Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 1st August 2011, 06:04 PM.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Ship`s cat - Stockport.
          I sailed on Marco Polo quite a few times when the ship was owned by 'Orient Lines' an American cruise line. Although the ship was old, it was built in 1965 and called 'MS Aleksandr Pushkin', it was well maintained and the attraction for me was the fact that it offered unusual itineraries. The passenger base was mixed with a fair few Americans on board and I enjoyed some really good cruises.

The ship was sold to NCL who subsequently sold it to a Greek company and it was then leased to a German based company 'Transocean Tours'. Under the Transocean operation, Marco Polo received some very bad reviews as it had serious health issues on board. I believe Transocean filed for bankruptcy.

In 2009, Marco Polo was leased to Cruise and Maritime Voyages who were the UK representatives of Transocean. The ship was refitted and it has been sailing since January 2010. The company also have the 'Ocean Countess'. IMO, the ships offer a 3* cruise.

I haven't personally sailed with Cruise and Maritime Voyages, but I have visited both of their ships. You will find a number of reviews of Marco Polo and Ocean Countess on this site.

Comment

To be fair it all depends on what you been on before. It ain't IoS or Ventura, but for a weekend away it's o/k. The cabins are a decent size and drink is o/k price wise.
            The food portions were small, but you can have seconds. Entertainment is to personnel taste, but we had a disco that was very good. We went to Amsterdam and Antwerp and enjoyed it.
            I think cheap and cheerful sums it up.
            review - http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie..._review_29053/

Comment

Originally posted by A Vast Behind, THATCHAM-SUR-MER View Post
              To be fair it all depends on what you been on before. It ain't IoS or Ventura, but for a weekend away it's o/k. The cabins are a decent size and drink is o/k price wise.
              The food portions were small, but you can have seconds. Entertainment is to personnel taste, but we had a disco that was very good. We went to Amsterdam and Antwerp and enjoyed it.
              I think cheap and cheerful sums it up.
              review - http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-revie..._review_29053/
              Its initial prices for 2012 are not so cheap and cheerful relative to 2011 - hopefully they will have a sale!

Comment

Ship`s cat - Stockport.
                I assume you have already booked your travel arrangements as you mentioned catching the train from Fenchurch Street. You may wish to consider this option if you choose to travel to Tilbury again. National Express coach from Stockport to London Victoria Coach Station then pick up the designated Cruise & Maritime coach service from the same coach station direct to the port. I believe the fare is £25 per person return. If you are 60+ the cost of the National Express coach is approx £45 for the two of you. Probably cheaper if you have a promotional voucher or coach card. Blondie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X