• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ventura vs Aurora

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventura vs Aurora

Hello! We are thinking about going on our first cruise this summer and are torn between two ships-ventura and aurora. We are teachers and whilst we expect to see children we would also like a relaxing holiday. Ventura is billed as 'family friendly'- does this mean Butlins on water?!

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    We haven't been on Ventura, but we have been on Aurora and are going on Aurora again in 5 weeks time. Whilst both are family ships, Ventura is marketed more as a family ship than Aurora. Yes there will be children on board Aurora, but I would think (hope) far less than on Ventura. If for no other reason, Ventura carries over a thousand more passengers than Aurora.

We, like you want a relaxing holiday and actually love the child free ships, but summer schedules are not that appealing to us this year. Have you considered the child free ships? Arcadia or Adonia?

I must admit, that this is a first for us, cruising in school holidays on a family ship, but I have read a lot of comments on various forums and there is so much for children of all ages to do, that we are hoping that it won't be a problem. As for Butlins at sea. No I haven't found any of the P&O ships to appear like this.

Personally, I would go for Aurora, she is a lovely medium sized ship, but that is only my opinion.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise, whatever you decide.

Val
    Last edited by Mrsb, Essex; 4th July 2011, 03:21 PM. Reason: added sentence

Comment

Aurora for us it's much more managable they have a superb kids club and facilties great staff ventura is marketed for famalies and is much larger, I expect you will get a few mor replies regarding Ventura to help you make your mind up.CG
      sigpic

Comment

We were on Ventura twice last year and the cruise experience was totally different both times. The first cruise prompted us to do the second. However had we done the 2nd cruise first I think it would have been our last with P&O. The first cruise was around the Med in April/May and was most enjoyable. Food presentation and delivery was good but choice limited compared with other major cruise lines. Cabin was a good size and we liked the ability to make a cup of tea or coffee in the cabin. Also liked the idea of being able to iron clothes in the laundry room. However the 2nd cruise was in some ways a nightmare. All the sunbeds were gone by 8am and reserved with towels, books etc and P&O would do nothing about it. On one occasion we were sitting in chairs along one of the decks when an arguement broke out on the deck above over a passenger removing articles from a 'reserved' sun bed which it was alledged had been unused for over an hour. The language was what you would expect to hear in a drunken brawl, certainly not from 2 women!!!. The swimming pools were overun with children including the adult only pool. This was on a transatlantic when sunbeds become more important. Entertainment was OK but they relied too much on tribute acts that I didn't think were that good. However this is only my opinion.
        Fossil1

Comment

Last edited by sapper44, swansea; 4th July 2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
            Aurora for us it's much more managable they have a superb kids club and facilties great staff ventura is marketed for famalies and is much larger, I expect you will get a few mor replies regarding Ventura to help you make your mind up.CG
            Have not been on the ventura(too many passengers)We did a 22 day on the Aurora and still came across the sunbed issue,tho i went on a mission when i found one person booking a bed and then goind ashore on the islands.
            I think that everyone who sees beds being booked should write a complaint and if the pursers dept is swamped then maybe they will take heed.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
              Have not been on the ventura(too many passengers)We did a 22 day on the Aurora and still came across the sunbed issue,tho i went on a mission when i found one person booking a bed and then goind ashore on the islands.
              I think that everyone who sees beds being booked should write a complaint and if the pursers dept is swamped then maybe they will take heed.

jim
              Jim, On our transatlantic crossing last October/November I complained at the pursers desk as did many others. I like others were told that it was not the ships policy to get involved and it was up to the passengers to sort the matter out. I did point out that it was not for passengers to put themselves in confrontational situations but to no avail. Hence the shouting match as described in my earlier post.
              Fossil1

Comment

We love Aurora.. we havnt been on Ventura but have been on Azura.. of the two we still prefer Aurora.. we prefer smaller... and less children they are better looked after on Aurora.. and you hardly see them..
                Its personal choice really... Ventura has many fans...
                What we found was that the size of Azura meant many more queues getting on and off in port.. queues for the theater for the middle show and gernarlly busier on board.. We didnt even manage to get a seat in the coffee shop Java as people hogged the seats all day . something you never find on the smaller ships...

Comment

hi just read your topic,my wife & i are booked on the ventura 25 feb 12 we hoping there are to many children at this time of year if there are i'm sure we'll get by.as this is our first ever cruise which is for my sixtyth birthday i'm concerned about the letters regarding sunbeds, i do hope this isn't a major problem although the last few years my wife & i been travelling yes it has happened in our hotels but as one of your other replies said if nobody turns up after 1 hr i myself would move there gear just as a matter of princible.
                  but we are looking forward to this trip so lets hope it goes well

Comment

Hi I too would def plump for the Aurora. In fact when children have been on board the Aurora we hardly ever noticed them. The nursery area and teens area were at the aft end and the kiddies were looked after so well. They had their own pool too. The Ventura is so much larger and more contemporary. I often got a bit lost on her because of the size. The trouble was our cabin was well aft and after seeing a show late, it seemed for ever and ever to reach our cabin for bedtime and resulted in taking our shoes off to walk the long long passage to the cabin. Would book a midship cabin on that ship another time.

Comment

thank you!

Thank you all so much your feedback, we have decide to go with aurora. We are both in our late twenties and whilst we have no problem with children they do add a different dynamic to a holiday. Thank you all.

Comment

We were on the Ventura during the easter holidays. We were worried before we went re the amount of children etc. Yes there were 500 children on board but we rarely saw them. No problems with sun beds etc. We would most definately go again. We are also tied to school hols.
                        Trish

Comment

Originally posted by eddies, southampton View Post
                          Thank you all so much your feedback, we have decide to go with aurora. We are both in our late twenties and whilst we have no problem with children they do add a different dynamic to a holiday. Thank you all.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X