• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time cruiser-help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time cruiser-help!

Hi , my family and I shall be setting sail on the IOS to the med this Aug.We have been looking at excursions and are contemplating doing a couple DIY. Rome and Pisa/Florence. Any tips gratefully received! We are a family of four-kids aged 10 and 7-anyone got kids similar ages-am assuming plenty to do for them.

I am sure you will have a splendid time on IOS and DIY in Europe is easy and much cheaper than the ship's excursions, especially with children.

Try looking in the Ports section for information and I am sure someone more knowledgable than I will come along soon.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    T Pratchett.

Comment

Hi Angie and welcome to the forum.

Both these destinations are a long way from the port so if you are going to attempt DIY then make sure you are clear on timetables and allow plenty of time to get back to the ship as it will sail without you if you get delayed.

Pisa isn't too far from the por but Florence is quite a distance away. I'm not sure it will be possible to do both with public transport. Many ships offer excursions which provide the transport to these cities but you are on you own when you get there. I have used this option at both these ports as I find it allows you to maximise the time you spend there knowing your coach will always ge you back to the ship.
      Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Hi , thanks for quick replies. We have been researching and discovered a train ticket for all four of us at a fraction of the price, however, the only train available to prebook for the return is at 6.48pm which is too late! Will prob have to try and get ticket once there.

Comment

Trains in Italy are punctual and reliable. I believe that some trains between Rome and Civitaveccia stop at all the local stations so make sure you get an express. Timetables are available on line:

Trenitalia - HomePage

There is a button at the top to make it read in English.

Also check out Trip Advisor for information.
          The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
          T Pratchett.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X