• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spitsbergen on the Braemar - 15th July

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitsbergen on the Braemar - 15th July

Like many posting here, we are first-timers to cruising and fancied something a bit different.

So trying to get a feel for what to expect on the Braemar (Via Titan Tours), and wondered what to expect as far as how formal is formal - whats to do on board - and will we need thermals for a wander round spitsbergen when we get there?

Plus a million other questions

Dave

Hi Dave, Fred's ships are formal in the evenings, although jeans and shorts are acceptable in the daytime. Here is what their current brochure says about evening wear:" Generally speaking, the style is informal, with gentlemen wearing jacket/or shirt and tie and ladies smartly dressed. On Formal evenings, gentlemen will prefer to wear 'black tie' with ladies elegantly dressed in cocktail or evening dress. As a guideline there will be 4 formal nights on a 14 night cruise." Note that Fred's idea of informal still means wearing a jacket and tie for the man and, normally, a 'dressy' dress for the lady. Just about everyone puts on weight on a cruise, so consider this fact if you need to buy any additional clothes, remembering that supermarket clothes can be a bit skimpy to start with. (As I can personally testify , trying to do up the last jacket I bought!) I take it you are going on the 15th July ? The weather won't be that cold- you are more likely to need an umbrella. If you go to the Fred.Olsen website you will find more information about Braemar itself. Have a good cruise, regards, Hugh.

Comment

Cheers Hugh. Yep, sailing on the 15th. Actually booked through Titan Tours who are doing a door to door service - lets see what that brings (vision of a Toyota Aygo pullling up out side the front door )

Good point about the brolly. Hadnt really thought about that (thats why Im on here I suppose). I've just spotted the FO A-Z guide which may answer some questions.

Anyone any idea what to expect weather wise in Spitsbergen in July? And any recommendations about what to do/see?

Comment

Hi Daft Dave....

We are going on the same cruise as you and first timers too...we are coming from France....

I have been told by the great people on this site that layers are good and maybe a rain jkt and scarf....one person said it can be a bit like an English spring......and others have said they had really hot weather.....so a mixture I suppose..

Have you got your "shore tours" book from Fred olsen yet?...we have booked a few tours...but are going to wander around Longyearbyen and maybe visit the museum at our own pace and soak up the atmosphere.....

Can't wait...I have been packing for weeks..............!!!!!!!....

Comment

When we were in Spitzbergen in mid June, it was a beautiful sunny day (and night!) with snow on the ground. The temperature was 1degC and there were icebergs floating in the sea. You need to wrap up well but it is a beautiful place.
          Some photos here
          https://picasaweb.google.com/1054775...itzbergen2009#
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
            When we were in Spitzbergen in mid June, it was a beautiful sunny day (and night!) with snow on the ground. The temperature was 1degC and there were icebergs floating in the sea. You need to wrap up well but it is a beautiful place.
            Some photos here
            Brian
            Brian , the photos are stunning....am even more excited now........

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy, Domme View Post
              Hi Daft Dave....

We are going on the same cruise as you and first timers too...we are coming from France....

I have been told by the great people on this site that layers are good and maybe a rain jkt and scarf....one person said it can be a bit like an English spring......and others have said they had really hot weather.....so a mixture I suppose..

Have you got your "shore tours" book from Fred olsen yet?...we have booked a few tours...but are going to wander around Longyearbyen and maybe visit the museum at our own pace and soak up the atmosphere.....

Can't wait...I have been packing for weeks..............!!!!!!!....
              You never know - we might even bump into each other! No booklet yet - suspect that Titan Tours are a bit slow in getting stuff to us - did you book direct.

We are just starting the packing list now - hence the need for info

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
                Some photos here
                Brian
                Brilliant! So can we book some sunshine in advance too?

Comment

We booked with "Bolsover" ..it will be my Parents 50th wedding anniversarry...it is a suprise for my Dad although he now knows he is going due to him having to get his insurance sorted, what he doesn't know is that myself, my husband and son are also going.....we think he has guessed that my brother and his wife are going..as my mum let it out by mistake....fair play to her though she kept it a secret for nearly 2 years...!!!!!

You can book the tours direct with Fred olsen online....if you go on to the website and join "My Cruises" you just fill in your Details.....and then you can go on to book your tours. I received the booklet from Fred Olsen which told me how to do it, but it's simple enough....

You never know we may well bump into each other... ;)

Comment

I suggest you both look at the ships plans and find a bar to meet up, don't post any personal details on the open forum.

Comment

cheers Spartan ;)

Comment

Spitsbergen cruise

Originally posted by Daft Dave, Leeds View Post
                        Like many posting here, we are first-timers to cruising and fancied something a bit different.

So trying to get a feel for what to expect on the Braemar (Via Titan Tours), and wondered what to expect as far as how formal is formal - whats to do on board - and will we need thermals for a wander round spitsbergen when we get there?

Plus a million other questions

Dave
                        We're on this one too......have been on one cruise before with Fred Olsen & were well pleased, so doing it again. Formal nights...best to have DJ, but could get away with decent suit. Good excuse to dress up I say, don't do it much at home! Always comfortably warm inside the boat. Spitsbergen in July: temperature could be anything from 1 to 12C, most likely to be 6-ish, so cold. Like exceptionally cold winter temperatures in Scilly where I live. BUT bring layers (inc. boots, waterproofs & fleeces) so you can take them off if it is warmer. We were in Iceland 2 years ago & one day it was 15c, t-shirt weather. Next day it was 5C, fleeces & boots! Hope you enjoy it, Jane.

Comment

When we were in Svalbard in July it was mild and we were able to sit outside with our coffee. In June it was freezing! In Longyearbyen you can either take the shuttle bus which stops outside the museum, or walk into town by the side of the fjord. The museum is really worth a bit of your time as it explains a lot about Spitzbergen. Be prepared to remove your shoes on entering, it is the custom. There's really only one main street in Longyearbyen and there is now a new arts centre that has been completed since we were last there. There is no Norwegian tax on purchases in Spitzbergen, but things are still a bit expensive as you are paying their airfare!

If you go to Ny Alesund it is just a research station and you are given a map of where you may walk so that you don't inadvertently destroy the delicate ecology of the region. You should be safe from the Arctic terns in July, but I'd wear a hat, just incase as they can be quite aggressive. You'll love Norway. Have a great time. Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Jane, Scilly View Post
                            We're on this one too......have been on one cruise before with Fred Olsen & were well pleased, so doing it again. Formal nights...best to have DJ, but could get away with decent suit. Good excuse to dress up I say, don't do it much at home! Always comfortably warm inside the boat. Spitsbergen in July: temperature could be anything from 1 to 12C, most likely to be 6-ish, so cold. Like exceptionally cold winter temperatures in Scilly where I live. BUT bring layers (inc. boots, waterproofs & fleeces) so you can take them off if it is warmer. We were in Iceland 2 years ago & one day it was 15c, t-shirt weather. Next day it was 5C, fleeces & boots! Hope you enjoy it, Jane.
                            Cheers Jane. We're really looking forward to it. posh frocks have been purchased (her, not me) and I'm on the hunt for a DJ, well, why not, it seems a good excuse.

I guess it must have been a good experience on FO if you are going back with them. How would you rate the general service. Any tips about what to expect in the various dining areas.

Oh, and what themed nights will there be. We've still no info from Titan.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                              When we were in Svalbard in July it was mild and we were able to sit outside with our coffee. In June it was freezing! In Longyearbyen you can either take the shuttle bus which stops outside the museum, or walk into town by the side of the fjord. The museum is really worth a bit of your time as it explains a lot about Spitzbergen. Be prepared to remove your shoes on entering, it is the custom. There's really only one main street in Longyearbyen and there is now a new arts centre that has been completed since we were last there. There is no Norwegian tax on purchases in Spitzbergen, but things are still a bit expensive as you are paying their airfare!

If you go to Ny Alesund it is just a research station and you are given a map of where you may walk so that you don't inadvertently destroy the delicate ecology of the region. You should be safe from the Arctic terns in July, but I'd wear a hat, just incase as they can be quite aggressive. You'll love Norway. Have a great time. Judith
                              This sounds really great. Were there many ships in dock when you were there? Oh, and I suppose I could ask what sort of souvenirs are there (expensive or cheap?)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X