• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, first cruise and confused!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, first cruise and confused!!!

We are a couple in our mid 20's who are planning our first cruise next year, 14 days from Southampton to the Med. We can't decide between Celebrity ( Eclipse) or RCI (Indy). I had almost made my mind up on the Eclipse when someone mention Indy. I love the idea of always having something to see and so but the food and cabins have far better reviews on the Eclipse.
    If anything the reviews have made it more confusing!
    We are by no means wild but we are still young so having more choice onboard of bars and restaurants does appeal but if some of the reviews I have seen on other sites about the Indy are true then I am not so sure ('Bournemouth at Sea' was one labelling it as the worse cruise ever, worse food and too cramped).
    We don't mind hustle and bustle or kids but also like good food.
    The reasons we ruled out the other lines:
    Princess- The Grand sails from Southampton and had poor reviews because of its age (know it has been updated but the cabins not).
    P & O- Again the reviews put me off and know a few people who have been, one said it was OK and another 'never again'.
    I think these are the only ones who sail from Southampton.
    Really appreciate your feedback and experiences.
    Many thanks,
    Zoe

MORE SUITABLE for your ages.

Celebrity are more upmarket
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 16th June 2011, 01:24 PM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Not long off the Indy and can't rate it highly enough, have written a review and should be on here soon. I have not been on Celebrity yet, but also feel there is not quite so much to do onboard. We are in our late fifties with a thirty year old daughter and we found plenty to do in the evening on the Indy. The food we felt was outstanding always hot, enough choice and if you ask your waiters they will let you know what is recommended each day. Hope this helps
      Sandra

Comment

Zoe Please don't be put of by reviews ask yourself why most of the PO passengers sail on them aagain and again . especially the Azura,VENTURA and AURORA.
        I have sailed on all of the lines mentioned and enjoyed everyone of them, you have to try different lines otherwise you won't know what else is on offer..
        Yes RCI are a good line to try as is most of the ones mentioned.

happy cruising CG
        sigpic

Comment

We have sailed on Eclipse and Independence of the Seas and would agree that Independence would probably suit you best as youngsters!! We personally didn't find the food as good as Eclipse ......however I wouldn't dismiss P and O our son and daughter in law (in their 30s ) have just cruised on Oceana to the Med and loved everything about it......the drinks, excursions, etc. are cheaper than Celebrity or RCI...food and entertainment is generally very good on P and O ships.

Comment

Sailed on the Ventura at Easter and loved it. Now booked Azura for next year. We are a couple in our 50s but quite young at heart.
            Trish

Comment

Thank you so much for your help, I'm leaning much more towards RCI than Celebrity for our first cruise.

Comment

I love Celebrity but think that RCI would be more suitable for someone of your age.

the food and service on Celebrity second to none but the entertainment on RCI is better. the cabins on the Eclipse a very comfortable and larger than any other ship we have been on.

just look for the intinnery that you prefer and then find which ships do the same/similer then look at the price and the ships. all of these will help you decide.
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Be patriotic..go P&O UK ! BUT then all owned by US owned Carnival Corp anyway.

And at least with P&O you can tip who you like and how much you like, whearas the US ships add on your auto tips to your account and some are non negotiable, if you know what I mean.
                  Cheers..Les - Adventure before Dementia !

Comment

Originally posted by Zoeleanne84, Tunbridge Wells View Post
                    Thank you so much for your help, I'm leaning much more towards RCI than Celebrity for our first cruise.

I am off on our first cruise ever on Independence of the seas in 7 days. Can't wait. I will review on my return.

Comment

If you are limited to school holidays but not taking children avoid "family friendly" ships such as Independance ots & Ventura etc for obvious reasons. For your age bracket I would recommend Independance outside school holidays.....Richard B

Comment

I did my 1st cruise when I was 23 and that was on the PO Aurora and we loved it my Now husband even proposed, that was 10 years ago now and we are still enjoying what PO have on offer and if you want to go from Southampton you will have so much more choice if you go with PO.

Something to consider also is how much you want to spend on board as RCI charge in dollars and drinks and extras can add up very quickly where as we have always found PO very reasonable for drinks and no more than an average UK pub and most things are included so you will not have to pay for loads of extras. Allot of the thing on Indy are chargeable e.g flow rider

RCI are amazing and large, with fantastic shows and you will probably find some of there smaller ships even more amazing for example Jewel of the sea is sailing out of Harwich every 12 days at the moment however if you want the little touches such as china tea cups in your room not plastic beakers or things to be a bit more silver service then you should definately think about PO.

P.S not sure if it has change but NCL also goes from Southampton normally. I live local to Southampton and both the Ventura and the Indy were in today and they both look impressive.

goodluck

Comment

Thank you Mrsspinky,
                          We were almost set on Indy when I looked into P & O again (thanks to several people on here) and now are pretty decided on Ventura as their route is better, the drinks & excursion prices seem much more reasonable and you get a bath in a superior balcony which I love! Seems they have the extra English touches that RCI is lacking (Champagne / chocs on arrival plus bathrobes).
                          It is so good to hear everyone's comments, thanks again,

Zoe

Comment

Hi Zoe

We are sailing on Ventura on Saturday on our first cruise! We are a young couple 30 and 32 and we did our homework before booking and came to the same conclusions as yourself, Ventura. I will let you know how we get on, but i'm so excited i'm fit to burst!

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Zoeleanne84, Tunbridge Wells View Post
                              Thank you Mrsspinky,
                              We were almost set on Indy when I looked into P & O again (thanks to several people on here) and now are pretty decided on Ventura as their route is better, the drinks & excursion prices seem much more reasonable and you get a bath in a superior balcony which I love! Seems they have the extra English touches that RCI is lacking (Champagne / chocs on arrival plus bathrobes).
                              It is so good to hear everyone's comments, thanks again,

Zoe
                              Zoe
                              We have sailed on both RCI IOS and P&O Ventura. No we are not young, but as a young couple, in my opinion, you would enjoy either ship, in the way of facilities and entertainment on board. However for food, silver service, and as you say the little touches, bed turned down at night, chocolate on the pillow, biscuits in your cabin, to have with your tea or coffee, replenished as fast as you can eat them. China cups in your cabin, not cardboard or plastic etc, etc. It also has a nice couple of alternative eating restaurants open at night.
                              Lower on board costs, such as free shuttle buses, also lower drink costs.
                              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 29th June 2011, 03:07 PM.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X