• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to cruising!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to cruising!

Hi there

Myself and my boyfriend are going on P&O Ventura in a couple of weeks time, Southampton to Western Med. 1st time cruisers. Heard some stories about the Bay of Biscay being a bit hairy at times - I know it depends on the day etc, but early July, shouldn't be too bad? And seasickness remedies - do the wristbands work?

Thanks in advance

Welcome on board. The Bay can be very calm in the summer. Some people think sea-bands work, but if I were you I'd get some sort of sea-sickness tablets from Boots.

However Ventura is a big ship and it may not even happen - so Enjoy!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Hi Kelly and welcome to the forum.

The sea can be good or bad anywhere at anytime of year. I've only crossed the Bay of Biscay once in Autumn and it was very calm. Chances are you won't feel the motion much on a ship the size of Ventura but best to have some tablets with you for your first time just in case. I worried about it too my first time but on the bigger ships you hardly feel any movement unless the weather is particularly bad. If the tablets don't work, pay a visit to the ship's doctor as I understand they have a miracle injection that works pretty quickly and avoids the misery.
      Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Comment

We did Ventura last year to Ffords, had some rough seas at times, ship handled rough weather really well, could hardly feel it. Went through B of B a couple of years ago on P & O Arcadia in gale force 10, again ship was large enough to hardly feel it, they tend to tell you not to go out on deck when rough so you would hardly notice it. Go to health food shop and buy some ginger tablet, they are very good if you feel sea sick, a quick but expensive fix would be to see the ship's doctor for injection for this, very good remedy and really works.
          Just njoy you cuise, modern hips can handle bad weather, it is only the old ships with no stabilizers that you really feel bad weather.

Comment

went through the Bay of Biscay on Ventura at Easter and hardly knew she was moving. You will have a great time.
            Trish

Comment

Thanks so much for your responses, our minds are being put a bit more at rest now! Sooooooooo excited about our holiday! Any hints/tips greatly appreciated, we have gone into this completely blind and do not want to miss out on anything! I have a feeling we are going to become cruise converts......

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, Hornchurch View Post
                Thanks so much for your responses, our minds are being put a bit more at rest now! Sooooooooo excited about our holiday! Any hints/tips greatly appreciated, we have gone into this completely blind and do not want to miss out on anything! I have a feeling we are going to become cruise converts......
                Most important piece of advice is to research your ports in advance so that you know what you want to do before you get there. As you are only there for a relatively short period of time it can be annoying to get back to the ship and hear about something that you missed. Most of us treat the holiday preparation as part of the build up. It's 4 weeks until my next cruise (coincidentally on Ventura) and I have made plans for every port already.
                Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Rightly or wrongly (again heard mixed reviews) we've booked our excursions through P&O so spent a fair bit of time planning those. We were umming and arring about doing it independently but worried we'd get off the ship, walk round in a circle, and miss everything worth seeing (especially those sights which are quite a distance from the port). Or equally not having anything prearranged and struggling to find tours to suit us. Especially as this is our first cruise we need a fair bit of guidance! I guess you will be getting on the ship just as we get off then!

Comment

if your concerned like i was. It was the fear of seasickness that made me sick until I discoverd STURGEON {spelt wrong
                    me thinks} they are a brilliant tablet for sea sickness. Take one as you sail and another if you need it {you wont need
                    it}

Comment

Hi Kelly! You may well be pleasantly suprised.
                      Had a slightly choppy crossing once over the bay. But, it didn't bother us. Lot's of cruisers like a bit of motion. After all.. you are at sea and cruising is the way to have THE most fantastic holiday.
                      Ventura is a great ship, loads to do. I do know some knock her but we have loved our cruises on her.
                      My OH. was a bit queasy once years ago on a Caribbean cruise, never had a problem since. I always pack some sea-legs for him just in case.
                      Failing everything we have also heard that the Doc's injection works like magic.
                      You hopefully will take to it 'Like ducks to water'
                      Have a wonderful cruise.
                      sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Sturgeron is the one you were thinking of. Having done a lot of cruising then can recommend them. We did a week on Ventura last year and sorry to be a bore but you can see my video on Ventura 2010 on Vimeo

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X