• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puffing Billy is to be ended.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I have been advocating this for more than 40 years - sugar tax

Annie
    There is evidence to suggest that countries with a sugar tax to not have lower rates of obesity. The government must be aware of this so the only purpose it will serve is, as you say, to collectors tax.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post

There is evidence to suggest that countries with a sugar tax to not have lower rates of obesity. The government must be aware of this so the only purpose it will serve is, as you say, to collectors tax.
      I thought the recent Mexico evidence was encouraging.

More interesting question is why people want to eat so much sugar? Of course the food industry has a huge responsibility.

Maybe a tax on unnecessary food packaging (I.e, as used in ready meals) ??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
        With you all the way on this one Neil. I am an ex smoker and stopped 40 years ago and wish I had never smoked in the first place. In the future people will look back and say "what on earth were they thinking of to indulge in such an unhealthy habit". Vaping is just as bad. We have no idea what the long term effects are going to be. As far as pension costs and loss of taxes. What about all the health costs involved for treatments and nursing people who have poor health due to smoking or doesn't that count.
        Yes it does, may be worth a read

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...bute-tax-take/

John

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post

What the tax has done is push manufacturers to make their product with reduced (and/or no) sugar to avoid the tax

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/bori...-tax-sugar-tax

Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 13th July 2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
            Some youngsters who have never smoked a cigarette are taking up vaping instead. It’s the ‘in thing’ but no one knows what the long term effects will be.
            There was a horizon about vaping. I think they wanted to say that it was not as safe as the claims predict. However their conclusion was that Vaping is really so much BETTER than cigarettes for EVERYBODY!
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I do love it when a plan comes together.

Why are you all looking at the small negative side when we all know that the positives of having life free from tobacco smoke and the detrimental health effects is wonderful?

Here; many of you sit with your heads in your hands saying things like "What about the rise in sugar intake?" "How much tax will the country lose?" How will the hospitals cope?" "I see only doom and gloom".

You miserable load of b........ers, lighten up and think of the bright side. I know that in life and on board too, things are so much better than they have been for years. I just love the fact that I no longer have to put up with the smokers' "Sod the lot of you" world. . ,,,,,,,,,,,joyously yours .......Neil

Comment

If people want to smoke that is their choice but it is not mine. As long as the smokers don't interfere with my choice they can do what they want. The worst thing is being subject to smokers smoke. Why should none smokers have to put up with smokers who have no consideration as long as they can indulge in their 20 fags a day. This applies to e-cigs in every respect they are worse than cigarette smokers by the amount of vapour they exhale which is in one word RIDICULOUS. How can it be right to take in a substance from a devise that creates vapour from a liquid that is then in haled into their lungs and call it safe smoking.

Comment

Walking down the High Street of a lovely afternoon is spoiled by the large amount of smokers standing in the pavement. Get them inside to a sealed room and let the rest of us breathe clean air!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                    Walking down the High Street of a lovely afternoon is spoiled by the large amount of smokers standing in the pavement. Get them inside to a sealed room and let the rest of us breathe clean air!

Bill
                    i saw such a room in Copenhagen Airport - the best publicity against smoking ever - JMO. One of my lasting memories of Cooenhagen is exiting Central Station and walking through ankle deep in a sea cigarette ends. Truly disgusting. I have never returned.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

i saw such a room in Copenhagen Airport - the best publicity against smoking ever - JMO. One of my lasting memories of Cooenhagen is exiting Central Station and walking through ankle deep in a sea cigarette ends. Truly disgusting. I have never returned.

Annie
                      Exiting Edinburgh Airport is equally bad with the long line of smoking canopies!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X