• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puffing Billy is to be ended.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffing Billy is to be ended.

Oh yes..... It is so long since I have had a need to write a "Smoking Thread" but the time has come.

After all the swearing and cursing and evil looks it would appear that smoking is on it's way out and that includes E-cigarettes.

The latest prediction is that by 2030 very few people, if any, will still be smoking in this country and there will be extra efforts made to assist in achieving that target.

I can't tell you how happy that makes me even if it takes just a little longer that that. Hoooobloodyray! ........Neil

I am a non smoker, the habit killed my Father but if people want to smoke outside or in their home why not.

Many other habits are just as addictive and bad for you so will it be alcohol, cream cakes, chocolate etc next?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
      I am a non smoker, the habit killed my Father but if people want to smoke outside or in their home why not.

Many other habits are just as addictive and bad for you so will it be alcohol, cream cakes, chocolate etc next?

John
      Spot on.

Is sugar not the new tobacco//

Annie

Comment

And who makes up the tax lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
          And the extra cost of pensions that will be paid out? not the savings to the NHS that's for sure.

Comment

I have been advocating this for more than 40 years - sugar tax

Annie

Comment

If you observe the number of young smokers I do,there is no way it will be dead by 2030.
              I can't understand why young people smoke knowing what they know but you could easily say that about drink fatty foods and sugary products.
              Incidentally ,I really hate cigarette smoke.

Comment

I don't smoke but judging by the number of young mums and dads smoking outside the school gates during the school run, also the number of E-Vaper shops opening up, there is no chance of smoking being dead by 2030.
                Only today on TV Dickinsons Real Deal somebody was selling a silver cigerette holder, the seller when asked what she would do with money expected to be in excess of £250, she replied 'buy more cigarettes'.
                Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 12th July 2019, 07:13 PM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

And the extra cost of pensions that will be paid out? not the savings to the NHS that's for sure.

Comment

You scoff now BUT how many of you said they will never stop people smoking on ship's balconies.

2030 is within striking distance and please do not think that the drop in tax will be devastating. Boris has an answer for everything.

Just revel in the cleaner air ............Neil

By the way sugar only affects those imbibing it, I can't smell or taste their habit
                    Last edited by Neil Down, Southampton; 12th July 2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                      ……..

By the way sugar only affects those imbibing it, I can't smell or taste their habit
                      Are you serious??

the impact of the obesity crisis on the NHS affects us all.

You can't smell the effect of other people's overeating??

Annie

Comment

Some youngsters who have never smoked a cigarette are taking up vaping instead. It’s the ‘in thing’ but no one knows what the long term effects will be.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I'll just be happy to make 2030...............Wilba
                          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                            I'll just be happy to make 2030...............Wilba
                            I will be over the moon. providing my health holds up, as I will have reached 90. 😉😄😎
                            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

With you all the way on this one Neil. I am an ex smoker and stopped 40 years ago and wish I had never smoked in the first place. In the future people will look back and say "what on earth were they thinking of to indulge in such an unhealthy habit". Vaping is just as bad. We have no idea what the long term effects are going to be. As far as pension costs and loss of taxes. What about all the health costs involved for treatments and nursing people who have poor health due to smoking or doesn't that count.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X