• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Insurances charges>??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Insurances charges>??

A lady in our post office said that some travel insurance companies were adding to the sost of insurance if it was for a cruise, apparently it's the cost of getting you off a ship if you were taken ill or worse.
    Does anyone know if this is true, or will it be now they've had it brought to their attention?

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
    A lady in our post office said that some travel insurance companies were adding to the sost of insurance if it was for a cruise, apparently it's the cost of getting you off a ship if you were taken ill or worse.
    Does anyone know if this is true, or will it be now they've had it brought to their attention?
    The basic travel insurance cover doesn't always include cover for cruises. You need to make sure you declare to your insurer that you want cover to include cruises. Normal travel insurance usually covers medical repatriation costs back to the UK but will not usually cover you for any emergency airlifts off a ship by helicopter whilst at sea as standard.
    Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
      I can only concur with HA, this is nothing new, but very important you make it clear you wish to include this option, although in my experience the better quality policies include this as a norm.............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Insurance to cover cruising and visiting the Caribbean or USA is usually more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
          Insurance to cover cruising and visiting the Caribbean or USA is usually more expensive.
          Going anywhere near the USA racks the cost up,
          And in the USA unless you arrange payment with your insurer,you need a credit card.
          Always worth asking if they are covering cruising with the policy...Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

As cruising has gained in popularity many insurance companies have introduced a supplement for cruise holidays.

Also note that some policies cancelation cover is often only 2-3K which is often not enough to cover a couples cruise, especially if it's longer than a week.
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              As cruising has gained in popularity many insurance companies have introduced a supplement for cruise holidays.

Also note that some policies cancelation cover is often only 2-3K which is often not enough to cover a couples cruise, especially if it's longer than a week.
              I thought that when you got a quote for a couple, the sums insured were for each person. Beryl

Comment

Right be careful here. So my Travel insurance asks would you like extra cruise cover - so one immediately assumes its needed for cruise holidays. Not especially so: the cruise cover was for things like
                • cover if you missed the departure point
                • cover if you are ill and confined to cabin they will pay a daily compensation for missing out on your holiday enjoyment
                • cover if you miss some of your tours due to arriving late in port
                • itinerary changes

All the usual medical stuff is covered on the normal policy

So really it can be misleading, you just need to read the small print to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by B&D, Shepton Mallet View Post
                  I thought that when you got a quote for a couple, the sums insured were for each person. Beryl
                  I agree and checked with my insuarnce - the cover is pp not per holiday (obviously if both people are on the ins policy)

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    Right be careful here. So my Travel insurance asks would you like extra cruise cover - so one immediately assumes its needed for cruise holidays. Not especially so: the cruise cover was for things like
                    • cover if you missed the departure point
                    • cover if you are ill and confined to cabin they will pay a daily compensation for missing out on your holiday enjoyment
                    • cover if you miss some of your tours due to arriving late in port
                    • itinerary changes

All the usual medical stuff is covered on the normal policy

So really it can be misleading, you just need to read the small print to make sure.
                    Hi Bradbury.
                    Same here,
                    My insurance AllClear you tick a box if you want cruise cover.
                    Later after you get final offer price they ask if you want extra cruise options (the things you mention) as an extra,for a supplement.
                    The quotes I have had have averaged £25 extra.

Most online Travel Insurers now ask if you req cruise cover,it's usually just a tick box.
                    JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by B&D, Shepton Mallet View Post
                      Hmm....I'm not sure now?
                      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

One reason why I'm glad I joined this forum, otherwise I wouldn't have known.My husband has medication which means that I invariably phone insurers to get cover and always doublecheck cruise cover thanks to this forum!

Comment

I declared my health issues and took an annual European with cruise cover with EHIC Plus at a great low price. If we go worldwide then I would buy a single holiday cover policy. I haven't made a claim yet so can't say they handle that but the low cost gives me peace of mind after the bank wanted to charge an outrageous amount.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi Bradbury.
                            Same here,
                            My insurance AllClear you tick a box if you want cruise cover.
                            Later after you get final offer price they ask if you want extra cruise options (the things you mention) as an extra,for a supplement.
                            The quotes I have had have averaged £25 extra.

Most online Travel Insurers now ask if you req cruise cover,it's usually just a tick box.
                            JC
                            Q
                            We are with All Clear also and I was impressed with the extra cover on their cruise policy for little extra on the premium.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X