• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware online visas!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
    You're right to mention it, and it's clear that some people do end up on the wrong site.

I'm just not sure how, as on every search engine I've used the official site is the top result.

I see what you're saying, and perhaps I'm flaunting my 'IT-literacy privilege' here, but I don't think I did anything advanced or difficult.

The only thing I can think of is that I passively used my well-honed searching skills to automatically search using the best search terms, but I can't really think what someone would search for, besides "Turkish Visa".

Literally, the top result on every common search engine I used (Yahoo! and Google) and one non-common one (DuckDuckGo) was either the official visa application site, or an official Turkish consulate site with a link to the application site at the bottom.

I do find the different ways people interact with computers and use language to find what they're looking for interesting, as being able to interpret language (Natural Language Processing, or NLP) is a big challenge for computer science.
    Duncan, I too see official sites come up first [only tried google and bing], but they are AFTER the Ads.

Now you and I will be savvy enough to know to steer clear of the Ads. Others unused to the internet might not know there's a difference.

Yes it's Caveat Emptor but we have to be aware there are a lot of 'emptors' out there who haven't 'caveated' before.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
      Thanks Beryl. From what I can remember from flying in to Turkey many years ago, you had to present a crisp £10 note on arrival at the Turkish airport. I'm not sure if they stamped your passport, or gave you a slip of paper.
      I think it was as little as five pound when we were there in 1992. They did stamp your passport ( which was an annual one in our case then) You had to have the correct denomination per person- a £10 or £20 note (it had to be a note) could not be used to pay for several visas in a group. If you then visited a Greek island on a tour you had to pay again on re- entry. Although my Turkish holiday had the same effect as my first cruise - I wanted to repeat it, and soon! I have sadly never been back. If my daughter gets her way I will accompany her to Turkey in September.

Comment

Hi Norfolkboy.
        I know the system changed in April to the Evisa.
        But i understand the rules have not been changed regarding cruises stopping in Turkey,,,,,,you do not need a entry visa if your stay is only to visit tourist areas,and is not longer than 72 hrs.
        I may be wrong,but its worth checking.
        JC
        JC
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
          Duncan, I too see official sites come up first [only tried google and bing], but they are AFTER the Ads.

Now you and I will be savvy enough to know to steer clear of the Ads. Others unused to the internet might not know there's a difference.

Yes it's Caveat Emptor but we have to be aware there are a lot of 'emptors' out there who haven't 'caveated' before.
          Hello Mrs M, the first site offered on my Bing search was (turkey visa . org) not an Ad but an application site charging $60 for the visa. Not sure why we are seeing it differently?

NB.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Hi Norfolkboy.
            I know the system changed in April to the Evisa.
            But i understand the rules have not been changed regarding cruises stopping in Turkey,,,,,,you do not need a entry visa if your stay is only to visit tourist areas,and is not longer than 72 hrs.
            I may be wrong,but its worth checking.
            JC
            JC
            Hi JC, I actually fly into Dalaman and start the cruise from Marmaris, hence the reason a visa is required.

NB.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkboy, Norfolk View Post
              Hello Mrs M, the first site offered on my Bing search was (turkey visa . org) not an Ad but an application site charging $60 for the visa. Not sure why we are seeing it differently?

NB.
              It's an advertisement for its own commercial visa application site Norman.

The 'proper' visa application site has 'gov' in its address and that comes after the Ads.

Comment

NB.
                Hmmm.. that's interesting. What are you searching for? I don't see this at all!

EDIT: I wonder if this has to do with the online bubble - something very few 'ordinary' internet users (if that's a thing) know anything about. I might start a new thread about it if anyone is interested (it's not cruising related, so maybe not...)
                Last edited by dst87, Falkirk; 17th June 2014, 10:39 AM. Reason: Added 'bubble' information
                Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hmmm.. yes I believe I have an ad-blocker installed which would explain why I don't see those.

As far as I know they're very clearly marked though, as Pennbank indicated above.

I suppose it is buyer beware, and for those who struggle this thread should be useful (as I previously stated).

I should note that my discussion comes not from a 'proving people wrong' perspective, nor because I want to show people up as being 'rubbish at IT' (which I absolutely do not), but from the perspective of someone who is interested in how people interact with the web and the things that are easily missed by those not accustomed to looking for them.

Apologies to anyone who thought otherwise or who was offended by my post.
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hmmm.. that's interesting. What are you searching for? I don't see this at all!

EDIT: I wonder if this has to do with the online bubble - something very few 'ordinary' internet users (if that's a thing) know anything about. I might start a new thread about it if anyone is interested (it's not cruising related, so maybe not...)

Please do, Duncan. Would like to know more.

Comment

Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
                      [/B]

Please do, Duncan. Would like to know more.
                      Done: http://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/770-te...et-bubble.html

The Internet Bubble can explain why search results are different, and because the way it works is so complex it may or may not explain the differing results here, even if it seems that there would be no reason for them to be different!
                      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hi JC, I actually fly into Dalaman and start the cruise from Marmaris, hence the reason a visa is required.NB.
                        Hi NB.I have flown into and out of Dalaman 4 times to pick up a cruise from Marmaris
                        .I assume its a Thomson Cruise
                        .When you get to the Passport control,there will be 2 queues
                        .One will be for those staying in Turkey or on a Stay & Cruise,they have to show or buy a visa.
                        The other one will say 'Cruise Passengers only',a rep will show you through passport control,no visa req.
                        From memory,passport control will give you a stamped landing card,which you hand in at the port.
                        Cruise & Stay passengers will buy a visa on the ship before going to hotel for 2nd week
                        .As i said,the law may have changed,why don't you ask Thomsons.I would like to know,as i am looking at a Celebration cruise from Marmaris for late July
                        .Don't forget its a 90 min transfer from Airport to port,so have a bottle of water at hand.
                        And make yourself a sandwich before you leave the ship for home,,,,Dalaman Airport is the biggest rip-off for food in Europe.Have a great time!!!
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi NB.I have flown into and out of Dalaman 4 times to pick up a cruise from Marmaris
                          .I assume its a Thomson Cruise
                          .When you get to the Passport control,there will be 2 queues
                          .One will be for those staying in Turkey or on a Stay & Cruise,they have to show or buy a visa.
                          The other one will say 'Cruise Passengers only',a rep will show you through passport control,no visa req.
                          From memory,passport control will give you a stamped landing card,which you hand in at the port.
                          Cruise & Stay passengers will buy a visa on the ship before going to hotel for 2nd week
                          .As i said,the law may have changed,why don't you ask Thomsons.I would like to know,as i am looking at a Celebration cruise from Marmaris for late July
                          .Don't forget its a 90 min transfer from Airport to port,so have a bottle of water at hand.
                          And make yourself a sandwich before you leave the ship for home,,,,Dalaman Airport is the biggest rip-off for food in Europe.Have a great time!!!
                          JC
                          Hi JC, things have definitely changed since last year where we were given our visas on the plane, however at the time of booking this year we were told that the Turkish Authorities no longer allows this to happen and visas must be applied for on line prior to arrival, however I have subsequently found out that you can still apply on arrival, however the queues are said to be horrendous. Once I found the correct site it was very simple to obtain, however it is now $20 not the £10 it used to be.

As for food prices in the airport, oh how I agree, 2 small bottles of water and 2 packets crisps €13.10 shocking

NB.

Comment

Hmmm.. yes I believe I have an ad-blocker installed which would explain why I don't see those.

As far as I know they're very clearly marked though, as Pennbank indicated above.

I suppose it is buyer beware, and for those who struggle this thread should be useful (as I previously stated).

I should note that my discussion comes not from a 'proving people wrong' perspective, nor because I want to show people up as being 'rubbish at IT' (which I absolutely do not), but from the perspective of someone who is interested in how people interact with the web and the things that are easily missed by those not accustomed to looking for them.

Apologies to anyone who thought otherwise or who was offended by my post.
                            Hi Duncan, I've certainly not been offended by your comments, and maybe I've read to much in to your posts, however I still stand by my reasoning for starting the thread, hopefully stopping someone paying more than they should.

NB.

Comment

Hi Duncan, I've certainly not been offended by your comments, and maybe I've read to much in to your posts, however I still stand by my reasoning for starting the thread, hopefully stopping someone paying more than they should.

NB.
                              It's a jolly good idea to have a periodic alert to these things. Many folk cannot distinguish between commercial sites flogging visas for profit and the official sites.

It's always a good idea to start with the government/embassy site of the country you wish to visit. Then you will [hopefully] be directed to their visa dept.

Comment

It's a jolly good idea to have a periodic alert to these things. Many folk cannot distinguish between commercial sites flogging visas for profit and the official sites.

It's always a good idea to start with the government/embassy site of the country you wish to visit. Then you will [hopefully] be directed to their visa dept.
                                Yes quite, me not being an expert on these things could've easily have fallen into the trap, fortunately enough the Thomson advisor explained that the visa was $20, so when I opened the first link alarm bells started to ring when the fee was £35.99.

Lesson learnt, for me anyhow.

NB.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X