• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware online visas!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware online visas!!

Hello all.

Just had to go online to register for our Turkish visas for our upcoming cruise in August, just be aware that the evisa site given when placed into the search engine doesn't take you directly to the Turkish Government site, there are several options and most charge more than the $20 it should cost.

Although they are perfectly legal, they are agencies charging an administration fee, for the same visa some were charging £35.99.

Hopefully this will save some people a little bit of money.

NB.
    Last edited by Norfolkboy, Norfolk; 16th June 2014, 09:59 AM.

I'm always amazed that people get confused by this.

There is always discussion about people getting ripped off by third parties offering US ESTAs and I don't know how they find them!

I literally just searched Google for "Turkish Visa" and the top result was the official site, charging US$20. I don't think this is an 'advanced' search query or something that the average person who hasn't spent their life online wouldn't also use.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

I know there are these other third party sites, and I agree that they're opportunistic and immoral, but how people actually end up on them is beyond me!
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

I have searched as you did Duncan; using my iPad. My first attempt brought up a site costing £55. The official site was second on the list.

i repeated the search and got three sites ranging from £27-£55 before the official site. Although they do have an AD sign in yellow I can understand how people get confused. In fact several years ago I started to use one for a US visa and was only alerted when they asked for payment.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkboy, Norfolk View Post
        Hello all.

Just had to go online to register for our Turkish visas for our upcoming cruise in August, just be aware that the evisa site given when placed into the search engine doesn't take you directly to the Turkish Government site, there are several options and most charge more than the $20 it should cost.

Although they are perfectly legal, they are agencies charging an administration fee, for the same visa some were charging £35.99.

Hopefully this will save some people a little bit of money.

NB.
        Hi NB if your just calling in you do not need a visa for Turkey ,been a few times on a cruise ship never paid for a Visa.
        Timely warning though plenty of sites ready to charge you a for a free service ,the ESTA and EHIC being just two of them..Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Lacey, Wirral View Post
          I have searched as you did Duncan; using my iPad. My first attempt brought up a site costing £55. The official site was second on the list.

i repeated the search and got three sites ranging from £27-£55 before the official site. Although they do have an AD sign in yellow I can understand how people get confused. In fact several years ago I started to use one for a US visa and was only alerted when they asked for payment.
          I am with Duncan on This. The first when seaching on Google clearly shows AAd this ad is based on your current search terms.Visit Google’s Ads Settings to learn more or opt out. If you click on the information icon you get that text.

The first search after the advertising and advertising line is
          Last edited by pennbank, UK; 16th June 2014, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Has there been a recent change to visa requirements for Turkey? We have visited several times on cruises and never any mention of having to obtain a visa.

Beryl

Comment

Originally posted by B&D, Shepton Mallet View Post
              Has there been a recent change to visa requirements for Turkey? We have visited several times on cruises and never any mention of having to obtain a visa.

Beryl
              The Foreign Office Visa requirements for Turkey are quoted as follows - British Nationals need a visa to enter Turkey, except for cruise ship passengers with British Citizen passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day.

I don't know if the same rule applies if your cruise docks at several different ports in Turkey.

I shall be flying in to Istanbul to join a cruise, so I know I will definitely have to apply for a visa before I depart the UK, or join a lengthy queue at Istanbul airport to obtain one.

Comment

Thanks Blondie, We have stopped at more than one port in Turkey on the same cruise and no visa was needed. Yes I believe the rules are different if you are arriving by air to join a cruise.

Beryl

Comment

Originally posted by B&D, Shepton Mallet View Post
                  Thanks Blondie, We have stopped at more than one port in Turkey on the same cruise and no visa was needed. Yes I believe the rules are different if you are arriving by air to join a cruise.

Beryl
                  Thanks Beryl. From what I can remember from flying in to Turkey many years ago, you had to present a crisp £10 note on arrival at the Turkish airport. I'm not sure if they stamped your passport, or gave you a slip of paper.

Comment

On one cruise in Turkey, we were issued with well-used cards on board....but there was no-one around to see them either coming or going....
                    Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post

There is always discussion about people getting ripped off by third parties offering US ESTAs and I don't know how they find them!

I literally just searched Google for "Turkish Visa" and the top result was the official site, charging US$20. I don't think this is an 'advanced' search query or something that the average person who hasn't spent their life online wouldn't also use.

I know there are these other third party sites, and I agree that they're opportunistic and immoral, but how people actually end up on them is beyond me!

It maybe beyond you Duncan but the fact remains that there were several sites offering the Visa service when I pumped in evisa in the search engine, I apologise if I've done something wrong by trying to make people aware.

NB.

Comment

Everyone is not as IT capable as you Duncan , you use your computer daily , others find it very confusing be it age related or just not very compatable with computers, so yes it easy to go on the wrong site and very easy to find when come the end you are charged.
                        I have every sympathy for anyone in this situation as there are so many choices , IMO the government site should be the first in the page
                        CG
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                          Everyone is not as IT capable as you Duncan , you use your computer daily , others find it very confusing be it age related or just not very compatable with computers, so yes it easy to go on the wrong site and very easy to find when come the end you are charged.
                          I have every sympathy for anyone in this situation as there are so many choices , IMO the government site should be the first in the page
                          CG

My sentiments exactly CG, I'm no computer whiz and find it quite daunting at times when searching for certain sites.

The intention of this thread was to simply highlight that not all sites are what they appear to be, but according to Duncan some of us are below "average" intelligence and should know better.

NB.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkboy, Norfolk View Post
                            It maybe beyond you Duncan but the fact remains that there were several sites offering the Visa service when I pumped in evisa in the search engine, I apologise if I've done something wrong by trying to make people aware.

NB.
                            You're right to mention it, and it's clear that some people do end up on the wrong site.

I'm just not sure how, as on every search engine I've used the official site is the top result.

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                            CG
                            I see what you're saying, and perhaps I'm flaunting my 'IT-literacy privilege' here, but I don't think I did anything advanced or difficult.

The only thing I can think of is that I passively used my well-honed searching skills to automatically search using the best search terms, but I can't really think what someone would search for, besides "Turkish Visa".

Literally, the top result on every common search engine I used (Yahoo! and Google) and one non-common one (DuckDuckGo) was either the official visa application site, or an official Turkish consulate site with a link to the application site at the bottom.

I do find the different ways people interact with computers and use language to find what they're looking for interesting, as being able to interpret language (Natural Language Processing, or NLP) is a big challenge for computer science.
                            Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

You're right to mention it, and it's clear that some people do end up on the wrong site.

I'm just not sure how, as on every search engine I've used the official site is the top result.

I see what you're saying, and perhaps I'm flaunting my 'IT-literacy privilege' here, but I don't think I did anything advanced or difficult.

The only thing I can think of is that I passively used my well-honed searching skills to automatically search using the best search terms, but I can't really think what someone would search for, besides "Turkish Visa".

Literally, the top result on every common search engine I used (Yahoo! and Google) and one non-common one (DuckDuckGo) was either the official visa application site, or an official Turkish consulate site with a link to the application site at the bottom.

I do find the different ways people interact with computers and use language to find what they're looking for interesting, as being able to interpret language (Natural Language Processing, or NLP) is a big challenge for computer science.
                              For your information I used Bing, just done it again and hey presto official site is the 6th one down, like everything it depends where you search.

NB.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X