• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sick to death of being ripped off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year we also booked direct with P&O, really good price and didn't expect it to be reduced further. Although they cut the price again (wish I hadn't looked) to our surprise our cabin was upgraded. Can't complain about a free upgrade and we were delighted with the amount we paid.

Comment

Very interesting thread, especially about using a US TA. We have in the past done this but stopped as our US TA said that they couldn't book non US/Canadians with many cruise lines including Royal Caribbean. Carnival and Disney were the only ones that would allow this, then.
      Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Originally posted by mart broad, hatfield View Post
        I have today just booked a RCI cruise for October 2014 because its an itinerary I want and will keep an eye on the pricing and like I said to the agent if the price rises does anybody offer to pay more?What bugs me and the reason I will not be using cruise.co.uk in the future is the exorbitant credit card charges being levied,as a retired service provider who processed a reasonable amount of debit and credit card payments I think 2.5% for Visa & MasterCard & 3.5% for Am-Ex is a total rip off.
        just remember to keep an eye on the price of your cabin only and if the price goes down get your TA to phone RCI and you will get the price drop. RCI and elebrity have been doing a price drop for many, many years. you can use either their own site or a site like seascanners [you can set up an alert with seascanners] to keep an eye on the prices. but remember it is for cabin only not airfare, taxes etc.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We booked a Getaway fare last week with P & O as it had been reduced by £150 (Christmas cruise) and then vowed not to look at the website so we wouldn't know if it was reduced again......guess what? we received a general email from P
          & O today listing the same cruise for £200 less than we paid !! nothing we
          can do though except wait until nearer the sail date next time!![/QUOTE]

This has now been reduced a further 200 pounds making 400 pounds since we booked less than 3weeks ago.....we shalll definitely wait until last minute in future!!!!

Comment

I can top that! We didn't book last minute but it was a Getaway deal some months prior and the price was lowered for a superior balcony cabin on Aurora, (we had paid for an ordinary balcony cabin) by £600 pp. However, we were happy with the price that we paid but just a bit miffed that those that booked later had the extra room that is a superior balcony cabin, as this is our preferred choice when we have, in the past, booked on the first day that bookings are open to Caribbean tier. However, we were upgraded to a higher grade balcony cabin, mid ships, so we have no complaints. We would take any balcony cabin on Aurora as we know the ship so well having spent 146 nights on her and another 119 nights on other P&O ships. You can see we are devotees of P&O but we have tried other lines.

Comment

Hasn't life become complicated? In pre-Internet days, we'd just book a hotel or cruise with a T A and never have an idea whether the price was going up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
                Hasn't life become complicated? In pre-Internet days, we'd just book a hotel or cruise with a T A and never have an idea whether the price was going up or down.
                Very true Hat, our town had 6 travel agents 4 family owned and 2 big national chain shops , our first holiday was booked from a brochure with Portland holidays a complete package..
                We are down to the 2 major chain shops , both sell and do good business selling cruises,we have had prices from them,but tend to use the same to agents who we phone for prices, after checking prices around the net.
                Some people cannot ever get over paying a bit more than someone else it just not in there nature,I can mental accept I paid more than I could have done why beat yourself up get over it move on. ..Taffy
                ​Taffy

Comment

Taffy...we were quite happy with the price we paid...i'm really pointing out that p&o are sending us emails telling us how much cheaper it is now....therefore not encouraging us to book early!!!! We shall wait until less than a month before sail date in future!!!
                  Fingers crossed for an upgrade!!!

Comment

Originally posted by morris, st. columb View Post
                    Taffy...we were quite happy with the price we paid...i'm really pointing out that p&o are sending us emails telling us how much cheaper it is now....therefore not encouraging us to book early!!!! We shall wait until less than a month before sail date in future!!!
                    Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                    Very true Hat, our town had 6 travel agents 4 family owned and 2 big national chain shops , our first holiday was booked from a brochure with Portland holidays a complete package..
                    We are down to the 2 major chain shops , both sell and do good business selling cruises,we have had prices from them,but tend to use the same to agents who we phone for prices, after checking prices around the net.
                    Some people cannot ever get over paying a bit more than someone else it just not in there nature,I can mental accept I paid more than I could have done why beat yourself up get over it move on. ..Taffy
                    What a relief - the Reply with Quote is back.

I feel you are both right. If I book a cabin of my choice with a price I'm happy with then I wouldn't worry if later on other people paid less then I did. But if I booked well in advance then I receive e-mails from the cruise line offering better cabins at lower prices then I wouldn't get desperate but I would be irritated.

Comment

Originally posted by morris, st. columb View Post
                      I was not aimed at you or anyone in particular just an observation,sorry if I gave you that impression.
                      Yes it is gauling when it happens,and P&O I seem to have a nack of shooting themselves in both feet at times.
                      Like you if I was to book another P&O cruise it would be last minute...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

I booked 7 days ago a RCI cruise on Adventure for next May which was advertised as a wow price with $300 credit for an inside cabin at £1149, I noticed that the outside prices were some £500 more so was happy with our booking, that is until yesterday when would you believe another wow flash sail advertised inside cabins at £50 less (can live with that) but outside were now available at £1149 the price I paid for my inside, a quick call to my ta (cruise1st) and they contacted RCI who as usual insisted new bookings only and would not budge, I pointed out we were diamond members having sailed for 10 years but to no avail, I wanted the outside cabin for this price so was very unhappy that had I waited a week I would have been ok also cannot cancel as of course would lose my £300 deposit so looks like I will have to live with this.!

Comment

Originally posted by bruceybabe, blackpool View Post
                          I booked 7 days ago a RCI cruise on Adventure for next May which was advertised as a wow price with $300 credit for an inside cabin at £1149, I noticed that the outside prices were some £500 more so was happy with our booking, that is until yesterday when would you believe another wow flash sail advertised inside cabins at £50 less (can live with that) but outside were now available at £1149 the price I paid for my inside, a quick call to my ta (cruise1st) and they contacted RCI who as usual insisted new bookings only and would not budge, I pointed out we were diamond members having sailed for 10 years but to no avail, I wanted the outside cabin for this price so was very unhappy that had I waited a week I would have been ok also cannot cancel as of course would lose my £300 deposit so looks like I will have to live with this.!

Bruceybabe, look at it from a different angle. If you cancel and lose your £300 deposit, you have the opportunity to get an outside cabin for £1149 each saving £200 on the original offer. Providing you still get your $300 OBC. It is still probably better to wait as £1149 for 7 days is still quite expensive and it could come down a fair bit.

Comment

If you were an American you could cancel with full refund of your deposit prior to the final balance date. I know that there are reasons for this difference but nevertheless seems so unfair for us non US/Canadians that we have to forfeit our deposits.
                            Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                              Lots of good suggestions already but if they all fail, your deposit was £150 each I imagine and you say you are $1100 (dollars?) worse off - would it save you money to cancel and rebook with the lowest TA offer?
                              I actually did this a few years back. Cancelled, lost £300 deposit but got an amazing deal on a suite so whilst I kicked myself soundly in the shins for being idiot enough to book early (something I rarely do) we still had a great deal.
                              Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
                                Bruceybabe, look at it from a different angle. If you cancel and lose your £300 deposit, you have the opportunity to get an outside cabin for £1149 each saving £200 on the original offer. Providing you still get your $300 OBC. It is still probably better to wait as £1149 for 7 days is still quite expensive and it could come down a fair bit.
                                The £1149 was actually for a 15 day cruise so a good price, RCI will not budge on this however after looking at the cabins on offer under the new deal our deck 6/7/8 inside is now £1349 the new offer must be for a lower deck which we do not want, anyway reasonably happy now will probably try for an upgrade nearer the time.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X