• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sick to death of being ripped off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sick to death of being ripped off

So, being a loyal RCI customer, I decided to book early for a trip next June on the Independence Of The Seas.

Less that 2 days had gone by when I get mails from every man and his dog offering the same sailing for less money.

I booked 2 cabins on this sailing and with the current offer from cruise.co.uk, I am $1100 worse off for booking this cruise early.

I wrote to RCI...their reply.... tough.

This is the last time I book anything with RCI.

At least P&O/Cunard have introduced their fair priicing policy.

Tony.

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes

Originally posted by mcnev, mcnev View Post
    So, being a loyal RCI customer, I decided to book early for a trip next June on the Independence Of The Seas.

Less that 2 days had gone by when I get mails from every man and his dog offering the same sailing for less money.

I booked 2 cabins on this sailing and with the current offer from cruise.co.uk, I am $1100 worse off for booking this cruise early.

Tony.

RCI have the oldest Price Promise over and above every other cruise line, which I and many others have used time and again.

Have you spoken to Cruise.co.uk?
    Wilba

Comment

Personally I do not think their's is very fair either, it's just an 'illusion' of fairness.
      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 24th November 2012, 05:20 PM.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Have you looked at the thread 'Forfeited deposits for Cancelled Cruises' ?

According to the OP if you cancel a cruise more than 180 days out, you can reclaim your deposit.

Annie

Comment

Providing its a like for like deal, and it must be for the same grade not just category then you can claim back the price difference. If sail date is way off then in the form of a drop in your final balance to pay. If final bal has been paid then in the form of OBC.

The get out is when its a guarantee grade and it complicates it if you had a deal with OBC and or Car Parking.

If your Travel agent is not aware of this policy then you are with the wrong TA.

Comment

Tony.

Lots of good suggestions already but if they all fail, your deposit was £150 each I imagine and you say you are $1100 (dollars?) worse off - would it save you money to cancel and rebook with the lowest TA offer?

Comment

i personal would call it a complete rip off

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              Personally I do not think their's is very fair either, it's just an 'illusion' of fairness.
              Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message

cruises 2012
              Eclipse 12/05
              Queen Victoria 24/03
              Eclipse 12/05
              Oceania Riveria 13/08
              Eclipse 29/09
              Queen Victoria 20/12

2013 Cruises booked
              Eclipse 11/05
              Eclipse 06/07
              Eclipse 31/08
              Eclipse 20/10

Comment

Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                i personal would call it a complete rip off
                I was trying to be 'gentle' in my approach, but I do agree!
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I personal would call it a complete rip off

I agree, PG - and it occurs to me that this whole "price promise / advance deposit" thing has been largely rumbled

Cheers,
                  Lynn

Comment

Tony,You are your own worst enemy firstly in booking a Cruise for next June and surely must realise that prices change daily In this case it would have been better to book in April 2013.You cannot lay blame on the Agent they have booked the Cruise for you and are entitled to the commission.Booking a Cruise,buying a car is no different to buying 6 tins of Baked Beans in ASDA only to find next week prices are half of what you paid.Its all to do with marketing and supply and demand.Ethics in business went a long time ago and companies realise that good profits are to be made with people Booking Cruises many of which are cancelled through illness or simply a change of mind.Finally, on Booking you entered into a contract which is a promise to purchase at the price stated.RCCL is one of the fairest companies known and the reason I have used them since 1978 and still do.My advice is to send a firm and courteous E mail to customer services in Miami and they will reply.

Comment

If you want a specific itinerary, on a specific ship, in a specific cabin, and you think the price is fair, book it. Then don't look for a better deal. If you are not fussy about any of the above, take your chance and try for a late deal. We have, until recently booked early because of holiday restrictions. Now we can go at short notice and I've nothing to look forward to!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                        If you want a specific itinerary, on a specific ship, in a specific cabin, and you think the price is fair, book it. Then don't look for a better deal. If you are not fussy about any of the above, take your chance and try for a late deal. We have, until recently booked early because of holiday restrictions. Now we can go at short notice and I've nothing to look forward to!

Yes you have, a halfpenny in the pound per year interest on the deposit you haven't paid.

It's a good point though, there's a lot of pleasure in anticipating and planning for a cruise you've booked. It's just the savings to be made on these last minute bookings.

Comment

I have today just booked a RCI cruise for October 2014 because its an itinerary I want and will keep an eye on the pricing and like I said to the agent if the price rises does anybody offer to pay more?What bugs me and the reason I will not be using cruise.co.uk in the future is the exorbitant credit card charges being levied,as a retired service provider who processed a reasonable amount of debit and credit card payments I think 2.5% for Visa & MasterCard & 3.5% for Am-Ex is a total rip off.

Comment

If booking early consider using a US TA that gives no charge full refunds up to final payment and quite often cheaper than the UK.

Cruisecompete is your friend here if you are not sure which US TA's will process UK pax.

Only thing is you don't get UK specific perks like car parking/flight.

I look at the price patterns to see when is a good time to book cruisefish.net has the price history going back a couple of years .

Comment

[

We booked a Getaway fare last week with P & O as it had been reduced by £150 (Christmas cruise) and then vowed not to look at the website so we wouldn't know if it was reduced again......guess what? we received a general email from P
                              & O today listing the same cruise for £200 less than we paid !! nothing we can do though except wait until nearer the sail date next time!!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X