• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know Your Prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know Your Prices

Near the end of our recent cruise on Ventura we found we had more OBS left than expected. Rather than leave it to P&O we bought one of my wife's favourite perfumes, Guerlain Shalimar . With a 20% discount on the ticket price we thought we had done well.

When we got home I checked the prices on line and there were a number of retailers on the internet, including Amazon, selling the very same perfume, including free delivery, at typically £5 less than we paid!

So, before you purchase something in the glitzy shops on cruise ships know your prices. It might not be the bargain you were expecting.

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    Near the end of our recent cruise on Ventura we found we had more OBS left than expected. Rather than leave it to P&O we bought one of my wife's favourite perfumes, Guerlain Shalimar . With a 20% discount on the ticket price we thought we had done well.

When we got home I checked the prices on line and there were a number of retailers on the internet, including Amazon, selling the very same perfume, including free delivery, at typically £5 less than we paid!

So, before you purchase something in the glitzy shops on cruise ships know your prices. It might not be the bargain you were expecting.
    I smiled when I read the title of the thread - that is an often used phrase in my family.

Annie

Comment

One good thing the internet has done is help us all to become informed buyers

John

Comment

I usually have a good idea of my favourites before I board and have yet to find a really bargain price for perfumes in the on board shops. If I had credit to use then I would feel it was better to buy than just leave it and so the price wouldn't come into it.

I chatted to an American lady recently who always bought jewellery on ships and was convinced she was getting bargains....Carol

Comment

The only time I buy anything from the shops onboard, is if we have any obc we’ve neglected to find a home for. Then I’m not bothered about the cost as it’s sort of “ free”.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            The only time I buy anything from the shops onboard, is if we have any obc we’ve neglected to find a home for. Then I’m not bothered about the cost as it’s sort of “ free”.
            Same here - I have two cruises with $200 OBC - my wife will spend that (and more) no problem.

Comment

Hi all
              I had £110 OBC on the forum cruise,that was spent on the first 2 days on booze.

JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                One good thing the internet has done is help us all to become informed buyers

John
                Absolutely, but not enough people know how to value service and knowledge in my opinion.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi all
                  I had £110 OBC on the forum cruise,that was spent on the first 2 days on booze.

JC
                  Same with us but I bought 2 bottles of whisky(presents) and a Litre of Baileys Caramel with the left over.
                  Regards
                  Garfield

Comment

We spend OBC on excursions and then shopping. We had lunch with cruising friends today and all four of us were wearing watches bought on board. I also buy perfume and don't check the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

Same with us but I bought 2 bottles of whisky(presents) and a Litre of Baileys Caramel with the left over.
                      Regards
                      Garfield
                      Oh my how good is that salted caramel Baileys, I love it, it was a bargain on board £14 for a litre .................................................. ................Carol

Comment

Yup I nearly bought my daughter her favourite Tom Ford perfume on QV until Google said it was £10 cheaper at home online.
                        Past cruises:
                        Carnival Conquest October 2002
                        Independence of the Seas October 2012
                        Independence of the Seas May 2014
                        Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                        Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

Oh my how good is that salted caramel Baileys, I love it, it was a bargain on board £14 for a litre .................................................. ................Carol
                          Hi Carol
                          I don't know .she hasn't opened it yet...

Regards
                          Garf

Comment

We had OBC left on a recent Oriana cruise and spent it on books. I know they can be bought cheaper, but I wasn't letting P & O have the balance.

Comment

We had an almost obscene amount of obc on a cruise two years ago. I tried to get rid of it. Guy, Ormskirk happened to be on the same cruise and she was with me as I really tried.
                              The small amount we had left, I had assigned as gratuities. I too wasn’t going to let Cunard have it

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X