• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you, as cruisers, despondent about rates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilba
    replied
    Neil, I have yet to be convinced the high rate of increase in (some) cruiselines is to do with the exchange rate.

I have just checked the ER for June 2016 (three years ago), the USD was $1.44 to the £1, which equates to about £130 increase per £1000 cruise rate.

Hardly consistent with the current increase on Dollar based cruises.............Wilba

Leave a comment:

• 1fifthavenue, birmingham
    replied
    In October 09 the rate was £1 = €1.08...

Leave a comment:

• Neil Down, Southampton
    replied
    Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
    Not despondent, no, because as you have said, there's nothing I can do about it. The bottom line is if the price is right I'll pay it, if not, I won't. As a matter of interest though, I have heard Americans complaining about Celebrity's prices too. It's not just about the exchange rate. I have had offers from Seabourne lately not much more expensive than similar Celebrity cruises on Edge. Seems to be more a case of a cruise line trying to force up prices than a poor exchange rate.
    Nice thought to include Seabourne in your plans with Edge, it being a totally different animal to any of Seaborne's fleet. I know, and like you I have looked, where my preference lies. Can you guess? .....Neil

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    I think it will get worse before it gets better. Exchange rate seems in free fall, and investments up and down like a yoyo. However, IMO Seabourn have some good deals and I would rather give my money to them than the government.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
    Bank rate is currently £1 = €1.12 £1 = €1.25 and the exchange rate is £1 = €1.10 £1 = €1.23

Is it any wonder that the price of cruising is going through the roof. Each month when I look we are on a downward spiral with the exchange rate and upward goes the cost of cruising.

I have been cruising long enough to remember an exchange rate of $2 to the £1. OK that was an extreme I suppose as is the lowest rates now but this is lower than I have ever experienced

There is not a lot we can do about it either as the purchasing power of UK cruisers is not really powerful enough to rattle cages and the influx of cruisers from other parts of the worlds are increasing so I have been told.

Grin and bear it I suppose but we all know why this dire situation exists and in a way those who voted for it closely resemble turkeys voting for Christmas.

Do you think that a change is in sight or is this the state of play for several years to come? ….Neil
    I do not possess a crystal ball but I see no economic reason for the exchange rate to improve.

It will impact on all my travel plans going forward.

The USA economy is slowing down which may help with rates.

I was fortunate enough to complete my limited bucket list of cruises earlier this year so I can sit and wait for any bargains.

I am more concerned about the impact of low exchange rates on daily living costs.

Annie

PS A possible silver lining a YouGov poll, recently published, states that Tory Voters would rather have a No Brexit than risk Corbyn in No 10.

Leave a comment:

• PeterM, Southwell
    replied
    Not despondent, no, because as you have said, there's nothing I can do about it. The bottom line is if the price is right I'll pay it, if not, I won't. As a matter of interest though, I have heard Americans complaining about Celebrity's prices too. It's not just about the exchange rate. I have had offers from Seabourne lately not much more expensive than similar Celebrity cruises on Edge. Seems to be more a case of a cruise line trying to force up prices than a poor exchange rate.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X