• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you, as cruisers, despondent about rates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anybody understand the current NCL changes?

We bought a couple of Cruisenext vouchers a couple of years ago (New year 2017) after a good deal on the Spirit. They then went AI and prices shot up. So left the vouchers and assumed they would eventually be lost. Now they have removed AI, and we have just booked a 7 day cruise on the Epic in May 2020 with their standard $99 a day (+20% sc) drinks package and 3 speciality dinners included for £100 pppd.

I appreciate that nobody would pay $99 a day for a DP and speciality dining is OK but not essential, but the basic price of an inside cabin was only £100pppd and the Free at Sea package was an extra £99. And we could use both cruisenext vouchers to recover our $500 so net cost is just over £500 each. Only extras are £80 each grats plus our choice of flights and hotels to suit.

So it appears that NCL have realised their AI price point was too high and have gone back to an optional scheme, but at £99 for 7 days drinks and 3 speciality dining options it seems great value.

OOI if we went PAYG on a drinks package we would easily budget £250 each on a 7 day cruise.

Cheers

Tony B
    Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 18th June 2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Price of gold is going up though.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
        Can anybody understand the current NCL changes?

We bought a couple of Cruisenext vouchers a couple of years ago (New year 2017) after a good deal on the Spirit. They then went AI and prices shot up. So left the vouchers and assumed they would eventually be lost. Now they have removed AI, and we have just booked a 7 day cruise on the Epic in May 2020 with their standard $99 a day (+20% sc) drinks package and 3 speciality dinners included for £100 pppd.

I appreciate that nobody would pay $99 a day for a DP and speciality dining is OK but not essential, but the basic price of an inside cabin was only £100pppd and the Free at Sea package was an extra £99. And we could use both cruisenext vouchers to recover our $500 so net cost is just over £500 each. Only extras are £80 each grats plus our choice of flights and hotels to suit.

So it appears that NCL have realised their AI price point was too high and have gone back to an optional scheme, but at £99 for 7 days drinks and 3 speciality dining options it seems great value.

OOI if we went PAYG on a drinks package we would easily budget £250 each on a 7 day cruise.

Cheers

Tony B
        The new pricing seems cheaper than AI was but more than no perk option the add on prices for the drinks/dinner package are decent but as ever it is the total that counts.

UK prices are now often better than US except cabin only pricing on gty rates.

I am seeing trips now that we can consider.
        Also have some cruise next ours expire this year.
        ​​​
        ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
          Price of gold is going up though.

Bill
          Are you suggesting I sell my teeth so that I can afford a cruise, Bill????

Comment

High prices are not entirely because of the exchange rate. US prices are much higher than they have been in previous years and the lower value of the pound and $CAD make them even worse. Admittedly there are some bargain prices on Caribbean cruises, but I think that may be due to over supply and that area doesn't interest me. For years cruise prices have been very low. Our first cruise, to Alaska twenty five years ago cost us more for seven days than our last Asia cruise cost for twice as long. Both these prices were cruise only and ocean view cabins and do not take into account the considerable increase in wages over twenty five years. ($2,500 each was a lot of money in 1994) I found the details when clearing out for our move and was surprised how much we had paid.

All inclusive prices do not appeal to me, although if gratuities were included I wouldn't complain. since we pay them anyway. I prefer PAYG for drinks, we would never get value out of a drink package. Being of a suspicious turn of mind, I think drink packages have been included to bump prices up so they can be removed with a very small price reduction, leaving unwary passengers paying a higher base price.

We have no cruises booked at the moment, but will watch Transatlantic prices to see if there are any good deals.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post

Are you suggesting I sell my teeth so that I can afford a cruise, Bill????
              Hilarious

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X