• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you, as cruisers, despondent about rates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you, as cruisers, despondent about rates?

Bank rate is currently £1 = €1.12 £1 = €1.25 and the exchange rate is £1 = €1.10 £1 = €1.23

Is it any wonder that the price of cruising is going through the roof. Each month when I look we are on a downward spiral with the exchange rate and upward goes the cost of cruising.

I have been cruising long enough to remember an exchange rate of $2 to the £1. OK that was an extreme I suppose as is the lowest rates now but this is lower than I have ever experienced

There is not a lot we can do about it either as the purchasing power of UK cruisers is not really powerful enough to rattle cages and the influx of cruisers from other parts of the worlds are increasing so I have been told.

Grin and bear it I suppose but we all know why this dire situation exists and in a way those who voted for it closely resemble turkeys voting for Christmas.

Do you think that a change is in sight or is this the state of play for several years to come? ….Neil

Not despondent, no, because as you have said, there's nothing I can do about it. The bottom line is if the price is right I'll pay it, if not, I won't. As a matter of interest though, I have heard Americans complaining about Celebrity's prices too. It's not just about the exchange rate. I have had offers from Seabourne lately not much more expensive than similar Celebrity cruises on Edge. Seems to be more a case of a cruise line trying to force up prices than a poor exchange rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
      Bank rate is currently £1 = €1.12 £1 = €1.25 and the exchange rate is £1 = €1.10 £1 = €1.23

Is it any wonder that the price of cruising is going through the roof. Each month when I look we are on a downward spiral with the exchange rate and upward goes the cost of cruising.

I have been cruising long enough to remember an exchange rate of $2 to the £1. OK that was an extreme I suppose as is the lowest rates now but this is lower than I have ever experienced

There is not a lot we can do about it either as the purchasing power of UK cruisers is not really powerful enough to rattle cages and the influx of cruisers from other parts of the worlds are increasing so I have been told.

Grin and bear it I suppose but we all know why this dire situation exists and in a way those who voted for it closely resemble turkeys voting for Christmas.

Do you think that a change is in sight or is this the state of play for several years to come? ….Neil
      I do not possess a crystal ball but I see no economic reason for the exchange rate to improve.

It will impact on all my travel plans going forward.

The USA economy is slowing down which may help with rates.

I was fortunate enough to complete my limited bucket list of cruises earlier this year so I can sit and wait for any bargains.

I am more concerned about the impact of low exchange rates on daily living costs.

Annie

PS A possible silver lining a YouGov poll, recently published, states that Tory Voters would rather have a No Brexit than risk Corbyn in No 10.

Comment

I think it will get worse before it gets better. Exchange rate seems in free fall, and investments up and down like a yoyo. However, IMO Seabourn have some good deals and I would rather give my money to them than the government.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
          Not despondent, no, because as you have said, there's nothing I can do about it. The bottom line is if the price is right I'll pay it, if not, I won't. As a matter of interest though, I have heard Americans complaining about Celebrity's prices too. It's not just about the exchange rate. I have had offers from Seabourne lately not much more expensive than similar Celebrity cruises on Edge. Seems to be more a case of a cruise line trying to force up prices than a poor exchange rate.
          Nice thought to include Seabourne in your plans with Edge, it being a totally different animal to any of Seaborne's fleet. I know, and like you I have looked, where my preference lies. Can you guess? .....Neil

Comment

In October 09 the rate was £1 = €1.08...

Comment

Neil, I have yet to be convinced the high rate of increase in (some) cruiselines is to do with the exchange rate.

I have just checked the ER for June 2016 (three years ago), the USD was $1.44 to the £1, which equates to about £130 increase per £1000 cruise rate.

Hardly consistent with the current increase on Dollar based cruises.............Wilba
              Wilba

Comment

Prices are up but there still deals or trips at OK prices

Fewer steals where the prices were giveaway.

Eg. The Princess round Britain's were only a bit higher than last year, 12n £700-£800 is reasonable I don't expect the £300 rate from a few years back.

​​​​

Comment

A lot of cruise liner give offers if dp's, wi-fi and grats making them almost all inclusive.
                  With that came the increase on top of any negative effect if exchange rates.
                  You can blame yourself for that Neil as for ages you asked for All inclusive.

Regards
                  Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post

Nice thought to include Seabourne in your plans with Edge, it being a totally different animal to any of Seaborne's fleet. I know, and like you I have looked, where my preference lies. Can you guess? .....Neil
                    Not that keen on Edge anyway. She was moored next to us in St Maarten in March. Didn't like the "infinity balconies" at all, and that silly "magic carpet" spoiled the ship's symmetry. I also don't like the fact that suite guests have sole access to larger chunks of the ship than previously. Seabourne appeals to me but cost, so far, prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      A lot of cruise liner give offers if dp's, wi-fi and grats making them almost all inclusive.
                      With that came the increase on top of any negative effect if exchange rates.
                      You can blame yourself for that Neil as for ages you asked for All inclusive.

Regards
                      Garfield
                      Must have been before my time on the forum, but I thought it was JC who was the great advocate of AI.

That said your point is well taken

As a mere solo, most of my boarding fares come without perks.

Annie

Comment

Hi Annie.
                        When i joined the forum in 2009 i cruised only Thomson because it was AI,,,,,i said at the time within 10 or so years every cruise line will have some form of AI,,,,,of course the traditionalists laughed.
                        Well we are nearly there with DP's,,,,,,,,only Cunard to convert!!!!
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Not that keen on Edge anyway. She was moored next to us in St Maarten in March. Didn't like the "infinity balconies" at all, and that silly "magic carpet" spoiled the ship's symmetry. I also don't like the fact that suite guests have sole access to larger chunks of the ship than previously. Seabourne appeals to me but cost, so far, prohibitive.
                          Seabourn are sending out offers weekly at the moment and some reasonable prices as well as:

BOOK BY JULY 31 TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR SUMMER OPPORTUNITY SALES EVENT. SPECIAL OFFERS MAY INCLUDE:
                          New Special Pricing • Veranda for Ocean View or Up to Three Category Veranda Suite Upgrades* • Up to $500USD Shipboard Credit per Suite* • Up to £650 Air Credit per person* • 300 Minute Internet Package Per Person* • Up to 15% savings on Combination Cruises*

John

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                            In October 09 the rate was £1 = €1.08...
                            Hi Tim
                            That was caused by irresponsible greedy bankers.
                            This time it was the referendum.
                            Both man made i suppose.....both could have been avoided.
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi Annie.
                              When i joined the forum in 2009 i cruised only Thomson because it was AI,,,,,i said at the time within 10 or so years every cruise line will have some form of AI,,,,,of course the traditionalists laughed.
                              Well we are nearly there with DP's,,,,,,,,only Cunard to convert!!!!
                              JC
                              My main gripe with the AI pricing model is that with a 100% solo penalty, I pay twice for my alcohol. That is why on Celebrity I book insides or guarantee cabins,

BTW did Cunard not trial DPs or am I having a senior moment??

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X