• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does your CRUISE cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on a quick look not including Pulmantur and Costa base fares before taxes etc.

Celebrity Constellation 11 Nov 15n Suez at $449 $30pppd (think it is sold out now)
    NCL Star TA 14n $449

There are a few others about at that level of costing.

To give an idea of how low some trips can go.

booked end of June for Nov 11, 14n Suez in 2016 base fare was £381 taxes £222 (That included the drinks package)

a few days later If I recall correctly with Captains club discounts dropped to £466 UK(with drinks) making the base price £244(£17.50pppd inc drinks) inside was a bit cheaper without the drinks.
    The deposit was £150pp so could not benefit from the price drop and nothing to upgrade into.

Celebrity alos did the flights for £245pp (LHR->Athens, Dubai-LHR)

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
      A few years ago we lost three days of a Celebrity cruise because of deep cleaning after a norovirus out break. Celebrity put us in a hotel and gave us an allowance for meals. They offered us 40% off a future cruise. We initially assumed it would be 40% 0ff the new cruise price, but when the official letter was delivered to our cabin it specifically stated that it was 40% of the price we had paid for our cruise. There went our hope of booking a suite at 40% off!! Any way, when we actually received the certificate it was exactly 40% of the price we had paid without port taxes. We had booked cruise and flights separately. We received OBC for the taxes for the two ports we missed.

Cruise lines do discount cruises heavily when packages are assembled. Our Quantum cruise from Shanghai last year was part of a land and cruise package which included air and the total price was only $500 more than the air fare, when the RCI web site quoted $1200 for cruise only. We had seven nights in a hotel, all meals and transfers included in our price, so the cruise must have been really discounted. Luckily, everything was fine, but I suspect that if we had a claim against the cruise line our experience would have been similar to the OP.

Sheila
      Great explanation Sheila.

Annie

Comment

These days I treat the offer of a future cruise certificate with the contempt it deserves, little more than toilet paper, although I must admit this type of 'scam offer' is a new one on me.

More often than not if a cash offer is declared, there is a very short time penalty to make use of it. Add to that, I don't choose my cruises by company, I choose a cruise for its itinerary.

It could be years before a cruise with a specific cruise line has an itinerary appears that makes me want to book with them again.................Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

If you fight the corner RCCL will go to cash refunds rather than FCC(package holiday regs on UK/EU bookings), and they are also transferable between the lines in the group.

They will fob you off to start with so it can help if you can find a proactive agent.
          Last edited by Topdeck, London; 1st October 2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
            These days I treat the offer of a future cruise certificate with the contempt it deserves, little more than toilet paper, although I must admit this type of 'scam offer' is a new one on me.

More often than not if a cash offer is declared, there is a very short time penalty to make use of it. Add to that, I don't choose my cruises by company, I choose a cruise for its itinerary.

It could be years before a cruise with a specific cruise line has an itinerary appears that makes me want to book with them again.................Wilba
            I usually agree with your views Wilba, but on this occasion I don't understand why you would call the offer a scam. It is entirely up to the passenger whether they choose to use the offer, but it really isn't a scam. Why would any cruise line offer more than the cruiser had paid in the beginning? In our case detailed above, we had a year to book a cruise, which meant that we didn't have to cruise for three years, and there were several itineraries that appealed to us in that time, especially with a good discount.

Comment

I struggled to use a FCC from an Oasis TA fiasco, in the end I hit lucky and it paid for a short trip out of miami after another TA. Just paid the taxes on 1 pax and a few $on the other.

When a cruise is on the buy one get one 1/2 the credits are different for each person.

Comment

I usually agree with your views Wilba, but on this occasion I don't understand why you would call the offer a scam. It is entirely up to the passenger whether they choose to use the offer, but it really isn't a scam. Why would any cruise line offer more than the cruiser had paid in the beginning? In our case detailed above, we had a year to book a cruise, which meant that we didn't have to cruise for three years, and there were several itineraries that appealed to us in that time, especially with a good discount.
                My scenario was different. I received a substantial FCC and still don't know why but I spent it on a cruise that was on my bucket list.

If however I had a serious service issue, I would prefer cash. Why would you book a future cruise with a line when they had messed up a cruise??

Annie

Comment

Sorry but I'll stand my ground on this one.

The OP along with a few others naturally assumed that the offer was 30% off a future cruise, only to receive a letter after accepting, stating that the deal is only 30% of the price paid on their last cruise.

If that doesn't constitute a scam I don't know what does.

If it were me I would send their 'voucher' back and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine............Wilba
                  Wilba

Comment

2nd apology (and only one post) everybody is right it wasn’t Harmony it was Rhapsody that we sailed on. Only excuse is we have been looking at a lot of cruises for next year and the name must have stuck. Yes repositioning cruises can be cheaper we once went on the Norwegian Star from Southampton 13 nights plus the drinks package for £499so on that basis it may be explainable. I agree with toshtosh it should have an actual value at the time of the complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

My scenario was different. I received a substantial FCC and still don't know why but I spent it on a cruise that was on my bucket list.

If however I had a serious service issue, I would prefer cash. Why would you book a future cruise with a line when they had messed up a cruise??

Annie
                      If I was unhappy with my first cruise on a line, I wouldn't give them another chance. Our first cruise on NCL was so disappointing that even a 100% future cruise credit wouldn't have encouraged us to sail with them again and there wasn't even a particular issue that we would have complained about. If I had several satisfactory cruises before the one with the issue, I would probably put it down to unusual circumstances on that ship, and try another cruise, maybe on a different ship.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Sorry but I'll stand my ground on this one.

The OP along with a few others naturally assumed that the offer was 30% off a future cruise, only to receive a letter after accepting, stating that the deal is only 30% of the price paid on their last cruise.

If that doesn't constitute a scam I don't know what does.

If it were me I would send their 'voucher' back and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine............Wilba
                        In the circumstances outlined by the OP, he did not seem to be told that it was 30% of the price he had paid. In our case, the verbal statement led us to think that it might be 40% off the next cruise price., but that evening we has a letter in our cabin explaining exactly that the offer was 40% of the price we paid, less port charges. No scam, perfectly clearly stated and we did not have to accept anything before getting this information. The difficulty comes when the cruise is bundled with other services into one price, so it is not obvious how much of the cost applies to the cruise.

Comment

We have cruised with Royalty Caribbean several times on their bigger ships Independence and Navigator and had a great time. This was the first small ship with them and the difference was remarkable . The food in the MDT was mediocre even our waitresses commented that she had only been on there for a few weeks and noticed the difference. TheWindjammer was very poor very much geared to a fast food cafe. We did not enjoy the cruise at all but have decided we would cruisewith them again but only on the bigger ships. In fact we have booked to go on the Explorer next year, hopefully we will have a better experience. Many thanks for all your comments we will learn from this experience and will be better prepared if it ever happens again.

Comment

We did a week on the ship in January and it was a fine smaller ship experience and for the money good value.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X