• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the last RCI cruise with anytime/flexible dining the hostess was very careful to sit you in the same area every night to give continuity of service not always possible if you changed time a lot but we eat around 8pm on RCI for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
      I read that too.

He writes as if cruise staff have access to passengers' accounts in order to find out who has paid their grats. and who hasn't. For instance, I would love to know which cruise lines he's talking about when he says

''Now, let’s imagine that you haven’t pre-paid and you opt to pay as you go along. Your stateroom attendant knows you haven’t pre-paid''

because as sure as eggs are eggs, my Cunard attendant sure doesn't know what I have done/will do regarding gratuities. Nor do the wait staff in the restaurant etc etc. The only people who have day to day access to my account are some members of staff in the Purser's office and they won't be telling.

Maybe if asked, he will elaborate as to which ships he's referring to and where/who he got his information from. That would save any speculation.
      I can answer that, when I went on the world cruise on PO Aurora, I had my tips paid by the company , however there was a mix up . and I wasn't on the dining room computer as paid , I had asked had they received them on the first leg [apparently they paid the tips every leg there were five on this cruise] they brought it up on the computer and I wasn't down as paid and neither was I on the the cabin stewards list because I also asked him, so yes they did know who had paid .

They may have changed since then but they certainly knew in 2011 on PO.CG
      They then went through to Southampton where the mistake was rectifies
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
        I can answer that, when I went on the world cruise on PO Aurora, I had my tips paid by the company , however there was a mix up . and I wasn't on the dining room computer as paid , I had asked had they received them on the first leg [apparently they paid the tips every leg there were five on this cruise] they brought it up on the computer and I wasn't down as paid and neither was I on the the cabin stewards list because I also asked him, so yes they did know who had paid .

They may have changed since then but they certainly knew in 2011 on PO.CG
        They then went through to Southampton where the mistake was rectifies
        As I have said, in order to avoid speculation [seven years ago is a long time, do you have any up to date information?] it would be interesting to know from cruise line suits up top as to whether staff know before the end of a cruise who has/hasn't paid grats [I have no quibble either way what other folk do].

Pre paying before the cruise isn't really the issue as not all lines have that facility

According to my source, Cunard do not release passenger specific information. From what he overheard, Taffy would say attendants are aware the number of non payers [I presume that's folk who have removed their auto grats] in their area of work.
        MSC don't seem to, according to 1fithavenue.
        Celebrity staff seem to know according to some.
        P&O do according to CG

It seems to be a bit of a jumble so the only thing to say at the moment is there seems to be no across the board concrete fact all staff on every cruise ship know before the end of the cruise which individual passenger has paid grats and who hasn't.

I intend to ask again and maybe others can ask, someone in authority, when on their next cruise. Or if on Celebrity, look at a housekeeping cart [so much for keeping my grat payment preferences to myself when on Celebrity; does any sort of data protection not count in this instance or is it overridden when at sea?]!
        Last edited by Mrs M; 1st March 2018, 11:00 AM. Reason: added data protection question

Comment

Going back four years or so we were on Celebrity and in a Concierge cabin which had two stewards. The senior steward was very charming and chatty and I recall on the day before disembarkation he approached me outside the cabin and thanked me for the “tips”.

I was a bit confused at first wondering how he knew I was going to give them each an envelope with cash for the great service they had provided. Later the penny dropped......he was referring to the prepaid gratuities. This was a condition of being able to have ‘select’ anytime dining.

Comment

Hi Mrs M This was in 2011 I have never tried to find out since as all my gratuities are added daily with PO maybe this was the way they did that then I may ask the cabin steward in April, but as most are added to your bill unless you remove them I wouldn't think so.CG
            sigpic

Comment

We always pay our gratuities up front and also tip those who have given us good service at the end, not a lot, but just to show our appreciation.

Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie’sgranny, Newport View Post
                We always pay our gratuities up front and also tip those who have given us good service at the end, not a lot, but just to show our appreciation.

Joan
                We always leave our tips on but on 2 occasions we have tipped extra. Once on a Thomson cruise where we had the same table every night and the steward and wine steward were fantastic and everyone on the table agreed to tip them extra in an envelope to save any embarrassment and the other was on QE when we were so impressed with the waiting staff, we had the same table every day , we tipped the Mat're D, his assistant and our waiter extra, in an envelope again although there we just the 2 of us, an envelope seemed to be the thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                  As I have said, in order to avoid speculation [seven years ago is a long time, do you have any up to date information?] it would be interesting to know from cruise line suits up top as to whether staff know before the end of a cruise who has/hasn't paid grats [I have no quibble either way what other folk do].

Pre paying before the cruise isn't really the issue as not all lines have that facility

According to my source, Cunard do not release passenger specific information. From what he overheard, Taffy would say attendants are aware the number of non payers [I presume that's folk who have removed their auto grats] in their area of work.
                  MSC don't seem to, according to 1fithavenue.
                  Celebrity staff seem to know according to some.
                  P&O do according to CG

It seems to be a bit of a jumble so the only thing to say at the moment is there seems to be no across the board concrete fact all staff on every cruise ship know before the end of the cruise which individual passenger has paid grats and who hasn't.

I intend to ask again and maybe others can ask, someone in authority, when on their next cruise. Or if on Celebrity, look at a housekeeping cart [so much for keeping my grat payment preferences to myself when on Celebrity; does any sort of data protection not count in this instance or is it overridden when at sea?]!
                  Hi Mrs M,

Re. the bit I've bolderised in the quote above... I've never seen such a list on a Celebrity housekeeping cart or indeed anywhere on any ship and wouldn't be happy to see one on public view. That's not to say it hasn't happened of course. For anyone sailing with Celebrity I would urge them to look on their invoice where it's perfectly clear, as I said in post 49, that on the last evening of the cruise the staff are made aware of who has paid their gratuities.

Bob

Comment

As far as I can remember, it was someone on a Carnival ship who had been on the crew decks and had taken a photo of the list of non-payers, which started this conversation 4 or 5 years ago. Who it was, and how true it was- and what he/she was doing on the crew deck, I don't know.
                    Jo.

Comment

There are behind the scenes tours that take you to places(eg I-95, Burma road,...) that have notice boards with information.
                      Last edited by Topdeck, London; 2nd March 2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X