• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it true?

Hi. I have just been reading an interesting article written by one of the cruise consultants on this site regarding pre-paying gratuities.

I have been on quite a few cruises on different ships and just wondered if the crew/staff are aware if customers have opted out of the gratuities. Our latest cruise was in January on Azura to the Caribbean and I have never seen so many people queuing at reception to fill in forms to have them removed. I think P&O's grats are very reasonable and always leave ours on, compared to say RCI and Princess and have never felt the need to remove them.

Anyway back to my original question - do staff/crew know if you have removed them and, if so, how do they know?

Some people think they do others don't.

About 5 years ago on a Celebrity cruise, our waitress said to us, that the couple missing from the table on the final night had taken they're tips off, so she knew!! .................................................. ....................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by chrisan, doncaster View Post
      Hi. I have just been reading an interesting article written by one of the cruise consultants on this site regarding pre-paying gratuities.

I have been on quite a few cruises on different ships and just wondered if the crew/staff are aware if customers have opted out of the gratuities. Our latest cruise was in January on Azura to the Caribbean and I have never seen so many people queuing at reception to fill in forms to have them removed. I think P&O's grats are very reasonable and always leave ours on, compared to say RCI and Princess and have never felt the need to remove them.

Anyway back to my original question - do staff/crew know if you have removed them and, if so, how do they know?
      I read that too.

He writes as if cruise staff have access to passengers' accounts in order to find out who has paid their grats. and who hasn't. For instance, I would love to know which cruise lines he's talking about when he says

''Now, let’s imagine that you haven’t pre-paid and you opt to pay as you go along. Your stateroom attendant knows you haven’t pre-paid''

because as sure as eggs are eggs, my Cunard attendant sure doesn't know what I have done/will do regarding gratuities. Nor do the wait staff in the restaurant etc etc. The only people who have day to day access to my account are some members of staff in the Purser's office and they won't be telling.

Maybe if asked, he will elaborate as to which ships he's referring to and where/who he got his information from. That would save any speculation.

Comment

I don't know the answer, but staff have told me that they need to get good marks in the customer satisfaction survey, so presumably wouldn't deliberately give poor service if they knew someone had removed their tips. Personally, I couldn't enjoy a luxury cruise knowing that those who serve me weren't being paid a decent wage for doing so. I therefore leave the daily charge in place. I don't know what happens on Australian cruises since I understand the Aussies never tip.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisan, doncaster View Post

They are advised by on board management.

The deadline to remove gratuities on Celebrity cruises is a few days before the end of the cruise. A list is then produced and circulated to staff.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
            I don't know the answer, but staff have told me that they need to get good marks in the customer satisfaction survey, so presumably wouldn't deliberately give poor service if they knew someone had removed their tips. Personally, I couldn't enjoy a luxury cruise knowing that those who serve me weren't being paid a decent wage for doing so. I therefore leave the daily charge in place. I don't know what happens on Australian cruises since I understand the Aussies never tip.
            I always fill in and give out the ''You're a star'' cards, often half a dozen or more, on Cunard and I mention names when filling in the customer satisfaction survey as I too have been told that kind of feedback is vitally important to staff.

Some Aussies tip by the way, well the ones we've dined with do.

Comment

prepaying gratuities? I struggle getting a response from our agent at CruiseDot, no chance of prepaying at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                ....... I don't know what happens on Australian cruises since I understand the Aussies never tip.
                Some cruise fares in Australia include gratuities.

Annie

Comment

Good. Don't know why they don't all do this to put this subject to bed once and for all.
                  Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  Some cruise fares in Australia include gratuities.

Annie

Comment

I believe they do know - I am sure I read that a list is published a few days before end of cruise so they know and one way or another they will get to know because surely this impacts on their monthly 'pay'. I know they dont get all the grats and they are spread but surely a percentage must impact on what they get as an individual?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                      I believe they do know - I am sure I read that a list is published a few days before end of cruise so they know and one way or another they will get to know because surely this impacts on their monthly 'pay'. I know they dont get all the grats and they are spread but surely a percentage must impact on what they get as an individual?
                      Not on Cunard.

Comment

They would need to know around which cabins to loiter to catch those who haven't pre-paid and are going to tip more in cash.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                          They would need to know around which cabins to loiter to catch those who haven't pre-paid and are going to tip more in cash.
                          I understand that if a guest cancels the gratuities and hands over cash to staff, the cash has to be declared.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                            I understand that if a guest cancels the gratuities and hands over cash to staff, the cash has to be declared.

Annie
                            Yet again

Not on Cunard!!!

All this ''I understand'' and ''I believe''...it smacks of speculation.
                            Do you and any other, including the CD agent have definitive proof lists are posted/ cancelled auto grats so cash grats in lieu have to be handed in on cruise lines and if so, which ones and where did the definitive answer come from?

I know about Cunard because I asked at the Front Desk one day when requesting an account print out.

I also asked about cash grats. and handing them in and was told it was between staff member and passenger. A demand they be turned over would be impossible to police.
                            Last edited by Mrs M; 27th February 2018, 05:42 PM. Reason: added cash grats in lieu

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                              Yet again

Not on Cunard!!!

All this ''I understand'' and ''I believe''...it smacks of speculation.
                              Do you and any other, including the CD agent have definitive proof lists are posted/ cash grats have to be handed in on cruise lines and if so, which ones and where did the definitive answer come from?

I know about Cunard because I asked at the Front Desk one day when requesting an account print out.

I also asked about cash grats. and handing them in and was told it was between staff member and passenger. A demand they be turned over would be impossible to police.
                              Yes I saw a list on the Connie but it was several years ago. The list was attached to the Steward's cart. Systems may have changed.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X