• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruisedot: Is this the standard you set?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruisedot: Is this the standard you set?

Here is a question in the Q & A Section and the BEST ANSWER according to our hosts:-

Are gratuities compulsory
    Submitted by Loizou , Wimbledon on 14th May 2017 / Subject: P&O Cruises, Mediterranean

Best Answer

Coller - Answered a Question by Loizou (16 May 17 10:13)

NO they are not! On recent Royal Caribbean we went to Guest Services Desk on Day 1 of the cruise and there were staff already adding cabin numbers to a long list of those passengers who wished to remove the 'for your convenience' gratuity charge from their accounts. If you work out this charge if all 4300 passengers on the ship were paying you find this amounts to a minimum of $13.50 x 4300 = $58050 per day at sea. So, for 14 day cruise the 'take' will be somewhere in the order of $812,700. Divide this amongst 1300 crew and each should receive $625+ For a 14 day cruise. However this share would not include Captain and Senior Officers who are on salary anyway .... so the 'gratuities' take is probably allowing Royal Caribbean to pay their staff 'peanuts' with the expected top up making up the bulk of their wages! Not a very satisfactory way of going about things at all!

16 May 17 10:13- Was this comment useful or 7 of 14 found this useful

It seems fairly obvious to me that there is an automatic system for choosing the "Best Answer" according to the number of people who had clicked the thumbs. Note the number who considered it a good answer and those who did not. I have to add here that I don't use the "thumbs"

It is a pathetically inaccurate answer by someone with a bee in their bonnet but little knowledge of the whole situation and cruisedot consider this to be the best answer.

Surely if a website, which claims to be at top of its class with its knowledge of cruising and all that goes with it, this is a damning example of "We're good and we don't care what you think". . .....Neil

ps. Remember this is a question about P & O cruises

Neil
    We're all on board Eclipse..including the Cruisedot staff so don't expect too many answers..
    Regards
    Garfield

Comment

We're not all away... 😭
      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Awe, we're back now Duncan though some lucky people are boarding QM2 tomorrow.
        The cruise dot guys are lovely. Some are new to the business and for at least one, this was their first cruise!!
        BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
          Awe, we're back now Duncan though some lucky people are boarding QM2 tomorrow.
          The cruise dot guys are lovely. Some are new to the business and for at least one, this was their first cruise!!
          Maybe as a learning exercise they can research and update all the drinks package pages...

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
            Neil
            We're all on board Eclipse..including the Cruisedot staff so don't expect too many answers..
            Regards
            Garfield
            A good excuse .....maybe but not the answer

Comment

Hi Neil Down,

I've had a look at the question and I agree that the "Best Answer" is not actually the most helpful. Just to clarify, we do not individually pick which answer is the best answer, the Q&A section is based on which answer gets the most votes. I will talk to the IT team about the possibility of changing the system so it goes on percentage of green thumbs to red thumbs, as this may be a more accurate representation.

We do our best to monitor the Q&A however as their are approx 52,000 questions and numerous more answers, we cannot correct/keep track of all questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan, Cruise.co.uk View Post
                Hi Neil Down,

I've had a look at the question and I agree that the "Best Answer" is not actually the most helpful. Just to clarify, we do not individually pick which answer is the best answer, the Q&A section is based on which answer gets the most votes. I will talk to the IT team about the possibility of changing the system so it goes on percentage of green thumbs to red thumbs, as this may be a more accurate representation.

We do our best to monitor the Q&A however as their are approx 52,000 questions and numerous more answers, we cannot correct/keep track of all questions.
                Well, thank you for the reply and the considerate answer. You, I, Wilba and many more know just how much improvement that particular section requires. I find that it is staggering that the company rated Number One in cruising can even countenance the state of the Q & A Section.

I take it the the 52,000 is the total number of questions asked since it opened, a more interesting statistic is the average number of questions asked per week or even month in my opinion. 52,000 tells me nothing I'm afraid.

May I make a further suggestion, yes, I know it's been made before but not in this context?

You could certainly reduce the number of questions asked to a number that you can deal with by:

1. Making it far clearer in the Headline blurb that questions are answered by experienced cruisers not consultants.

2. You find a way of stopping the duplication of most of the questions.

3. With the reduced number of questions you will get by using the above ideas that you appoint one person, maybe even a duty roster, to look at what is written, what is genuine, what is a repeat, what is spam, what is inappropriate and so on.

4. When Seamus and I talked about setting up an "open" Forum and other items one afternoon and evening I am sure that he would have agreed when he saw the need for a little more control in this area; why not ask him?

Now I know that you seem to get only complaints and moans from me but I am with the group who did our utmost to make the cruisedot website a success from the beginning.... I won't go on but I am sure you will understand our feelings on this.

Thank you for your reply and I await with interest anything further you might have to say. .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan, Cruise.co.uk View Post
                  Hi Neil Down,

Hello Jordan,
                  Some of the regulars will no longer answer questions as there are some people out there that simply for whatever reason give a red thumbs down even though the answer is valid and accurate. Doen out of spite or malice I dont know but it does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    Hello Jordan,
                    Some of the regulars will no longer answer questions as there are some people out there that simply for whatever reason give a red thumbs down even though the answer is valid and accurate. Doen out of spite or malice I dont know but it does happen.
                    Agreed Bradbury; and because of the wrong use by certain people it has made a mockery of the "thumbs". They so often indicative of anything useful and also often make it look as though good answers are incorrect. I know that "thumbs" are all the rage but if they give incorrect information they are wrong to use as any kind of indicator. Your normal reader would not be aware of any malpractice so the "thumb" is often a spoiler .....Neil

Comment

By the way: There's another one today.

A perfectly good and correct answer given the "thumbs down" by someone making it seem like the information given was incorrect.

It is a terrible system. .....Neil
                      Last edited by Neil Down, Southampton; 30th May 2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Simple answer..get rid of the reds thumbs but keep the green.
                        You can't give a negative response but if the answer is good it can be given the back up of a positive response.

That then puts the onus back on the questioner to check that any answer given is good to go as it were.
                        I wouldn't reply to a question unless I checked it was the current (timetables etc) answer.

Caveat Emptor when using that part of the site.

Regards
                        Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                          Simple answer..get rid of the reds thumbs but keep the green.
                          You can't give a negative response but if the answer is good it can be given the back up of a positive response.

That then puts the onus back on the questioner to check that any answer given is good to go as it were.
                          I wouldn't reply to a question unless I checked it was the current (timetables etc) answer.

Caveat Emptor when using that part of the site.

Regards
                          Garfield
                          Garfie, some of us have been preaching exactly that almost from day one, but time and again it either falls on deaf ears or we get the standard reply, "We're looking into it"...........Wilba
                          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                            Garfie, some of us have been preaching exactly that almost from day one, but time and again it either falls on deaf ears or we get the standard reply, "We're looking into it"...........Wilba
                            I must admit that we had a sympathetic response from Jordan this time. Maybe there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

We all know they're busy but to have a nonsense like that on leading pages of one of the best cruise websites seems to me to undermine everything else. .....Neil

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X