• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gratuities – A good case for not paying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't intend to say much this time....... but woulds like to say that...... I thought that a "Service Charge" was not changeable unlike "Gratuities" which can be changed. ........Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
      I don't intend to say much this time....... but woulds like to say that...... I thought that a "Service Charge" was not changeable unlike "Gratuities" which can be changed. ........Neil
      True, I was suggesting that in UK they would be called service charges. But either way if added to the bill would have to be loaded into upfront price, but calling them gratuities in Uk is missleading.

The decision not to pay them may take most of the workers salary from them and does one really want to do that because of a mistake or two. I don't know I tend towards making a fuss about the way lines treat their staff on forums, but pay the grats because I do not want to take money from staff. I often give a small extra to waiting staff or room attendent, but only if they do go out of their way to serve.

But I will look more closely at grats on future bookings not because I object to paying as such, but because I thnk it means the line does not treat staff well. That is another reason for not booking Celebrity again.

Comment

When we cruise, we go 50/50 with the tips/gratuities, one account we cancel any automatic charges for these, the other is left as is. We are then able to give renumeration to whom we wish. But no-one should be made to feel guilty if they decide not to pay any tips/gratuities, it is a personal issue to them only. On our last cruise, we asked a friendly waiter if he would say what his wages were, he just laughed and said that he makes a good living. He was not a main dining waiter, he worked in the Buffet Dining. Who knows what renumeration the ships hotel staffs receive, the only true fact that is known, is that they work hard and work long hours for the period of their contracts. Most things that they receive whilst on board are free to them, including flights to and from the home country to join/rejoin the ship and home at the expiry date of their contract. Many have worked the cruise ships for years, our cabin steward joined our ship on its maiden voyage and has been on it ever since and he will only retire when the company retires him. One should do ones own thing regarding tips/gratuities, not listen to those who state that you should pay up just because they do, or that the staffs are low paid or it's part of the staffs wages etc.,etc. One pays the price a cruise line wants to charge one for its product, which should be the contract price for the whole package, it is a package holiday in reality. ....John

Comment

One pays the price a cruise line wants to charge one for its product, which should be the contract price for the whole package, it is a package holiday in reality.
          Can I take it granddady that you are not concerned with where, how and under what conditions some of your clothes are made. After all it is a package of a shirt that you buy. So the wages of the workers is a management problem and if they are exploiting their staff not your worry, you paid for the shirt.

Comment

Hi Raffles! Where is your proof that the ships staffs are being exploited? Their wages are set out in the terms and conditions of the Agencies that employ them within their own countries. Whether or not the Cruise Companies have any input within the setting of the pricing structure I do not know, neither I expect do you. I also think that the economics of the country also feature in the pricing strategy too, as compared to some of the wages on offer for nom-cruising jobs within the country the ships staffs, they are above the average. Not all of the staffs are working on the ships just for the money. Many do it for the opportunities they get to travel the world. One waiter that we got to know quite well, was a head waiter at a hotel in Mumbai and said that his wage was higher there than he received from the cruise line. It was the travelling that he wanted. As to your question of whether or not I am concerned as to where my clothes come from our what conditions that they are made under, them my answer is no! Do you? If people worried about how, why and where the clothes were made and whether or not they were cheap or expensive, and nobody bought the articles, how many people who make these clothes, where ever that is ,would be out of work? Any exploitation in their making is not much that I can alter. Very few clothes manufacturers are within the UK now. So if one was very concerned as to their manufacture one would go naked...........John

Comment

Good to see we still have people who have no concern for fellow human beings.

My evidence is based on the USA culture of paying low wages and then the worker has to rely on tips, not a culture we have here, well legally anyway, at least we have a minimum wage.

Am I concerned about where some of the clothes were made, perhaps you have not seen any of the campaigns which have altered wages, working conditions and ages of people who have produced clothes for major high street stores, but perhaps you did not bother to look when you express that you have no concern however badly workers might be exploited for you to have something a bit cheaper.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X