• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gratuities – A good case for not paying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gratuities – A good case for not paying?

More so these days we are all becoming more used to either prepaying gratuities upfront, or having them charged daily to our on board account and take them as part and parcel of the way cruising is these days.

If we cruise Celebrity, we pay upfront (mainly as we now like to do the select dining) but also for the convenience and we have never had a problem with it. And so have become maybe complacent that it’s the way we now do things.

This year we found a really good deal for a NCL cruise including a drinks package and thought no more about the $13.50 per person per day racking up on our on board account. That was until our traveling companions – relatively new to cruising said they were going to ask for the service charges to be removed as they thought a) they were too much and b) they wanted to tip whomever, what they thought appropriate. It stopped my in my tracks a little as I hadn’t really given it any other thought as it just seemed to be the ‘done thing’.

However on thinking about it, I thought $13.50 is on a par with what we pay for Celebrity – am I getting the same standard of service? No way. The service as always, was with a smile and friendly but was it up to standard? I couldn’t even begin to compare. Service was slow, it wasn’t slick, it wasn’t polished, little things annoyed me like them not clearing breadcrumbs off the table after the main course, glasses were often swopped as they were not clean, they muddled up who had ordered what, offered no advice on the menu choices……just no comparison. So I questioned why should we pay when it falls well below standard.

For the first time in a long time, we removed ours too. We gave our cabin steward a tip directly in his hand, probably well under what we should have given him but again when we had to ask for surfaces to be dusted, when you could clearly see that the carpet hadn’t been vacuumed – we even found belongings on the floor of the previous occupants, easily found if the carpet had been vacuumed properly in all corners.

We had intended to tip the table waiter who had served us on three or four nights but his service on the final night was so slow, to the point that when we ordered our irish coffee and dessert wine, the dining room bar was closed, so he lost his tip.

So, have you become complacent on this issue too? Do you let your gratuities rack up on your bill and pay them without any thought. It certainly made me think about how I will look at this in the future.

Or is $13.50 (£10) about right for the service you get? Your drinks waiter was only slow on the final night yet gets nothing? You are not tipping or under tipping everyone on this cruise because the service is not as good as Celebrity. Maybe it should be looked at that Celebrity staff are under valued and under tipped, and they should have extra tips rather than reducing everyone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
      Or is $13.50 (£10) about right for the service you get? Your drinks waiter was only slow on the final night yet gets nothing? You are not tipping or under tipping everyone on this cruise because the service is not as good as Celebrity. Maybe it should be looked at that Celebrity staff are under valued and under tipped, and they should have extra tips rather than reducing everyone else's.
      All drinks incurred a 18% service charge - so waiters were well tipped in my opinion.

Comment

We sail AI so tipping is not an issue. We have bought gifts for crew members with whom we have sailed several times. A friend had requested Dover sole on five occasions on a two week cruise and the executive chef asked her if it was OK on every occasion. On the last night she asked to see the chef who had prepared the fish and offered him an envelope. He didn't take it until the his boss nodded his approval. Yes, AI seems expensive, but we consider it worth it.

Comment

I sailed NCL for the 1st time earlier this year.

I never expected Celebrity level of service as Celebrity is viewed as a premium product and NCL is not.

I confess to prepaying my gratuities, as it was cheaper, and my TA made a generous contribution. My package also included the UBP.

The bar service was variable and we had really slow service in the MDR one night - no fault of the server. Even if I hadn't prepaid my gratuities, I wouldn't have adjusted my gratuities over 1 issue.

Annie

Comment

Interesting!

I have recently done two cruises in the 3 star bracket, the second on was completed this morning.

The first was on CMV, drinks package £17 per day and today's, Celestyal with a drinks package of approx £19 per day.

The Bar service on both cruises was exemplary.. The glasses were refilled almost without asking.......and none of your 18% malarkey.

The level of service you/we receive has little to do with tipping but more the case of man management skills by the cruiseline.........Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

I have never had reason to remove my tips/gratuites but I am not saying I wouldn't if I experienced the same as Bradbury.

We have had lunch out twice this week and one we didn't leave a tip as service and food were poor but the 2nd we left a generous tip because the food and service was outstanding. So was I wrong not to tip both times.

Isn't it the same when your on a cruise or should you tip the good and bad.

Or in reality we are making up the crews wages and therefore made to feel guilty when we remove the tips because of bad service etc.

Susan

Comment

If you went to the 2nd restaurant again the next night and this time the service was nowhere near as good would you ask for your tip back from the night before.
                I can see reasons for removing a days grats or a portion for one poor service, but not removing everything.

Comment

Pre pay ...................... no way. I always get them taken off, and pay to the value of the service given. How can you judge in advance what the value of the service is? You dont tip a taxi up front? Or a restaurant? So why cough up in advance. It keeps them on their toes i think.

Comment

Originally posted by A Vast Behind, THATCHAM-SUR-MER View Post
                    Pre pay ...................... no way. I always get them taken off, and pay to the value of the service given. How can you judge in advance what the value of the service is? You dont tip a taxi up front? Or a restaurant? So why cough up in advance. It keeps them on their toes i think.
                    It depends upon the culture and who is paying??

My TA paid 90% of my gratuities - I was happy. That was not the 1st occasion a TA has prepaid my gratuities

My Chinese SIL's family prepay gratuities at restaurants for special meals.

Annie

PS I have witnessed Scottish passengers tip a coach driver in advance too!
                    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 15th July 2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A Vast Behind, THATCHAM-SUR-MER View Post
                      I always treat tips as part and parcel of the costs of cruising, I prefer to prepay then I can forget about them, the same as when tips are included.
                      If when on board I think individuals have given extra service, then I may pay extra.

So far have never had bad service on a cruise.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                        If you went to the 2nd restaurant again the next night and this time the service was nowhere near as good would you ask for your tip back from the night before.
                        I can see reasons for removing a days grats or a portion for one poor service, but not removing everything.
                        I paid the tip for the service I got at the time. If I did return, and like you say the service was nowhere near as good, then I would tip accordingly, or not at all.

If overall, the service on a cruise was good with just an occasional blip, then I would leave the gratuities in place.

Susan

Comment

Even when we have been on Celebrity and prepaid our Grats we have in fact still on occasions paid Extra on top to those that have served us well.

Just looking at it overall I dont see why we should have felt in anyway obliged to tip the full amount when the service overall was well below par on this occasion.
                          Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 15th July 2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                            Even when we have been on Celebrity and prepaid our Grats we have in fact still on occasions paid Extra on top to those that have served us well.

Just looking at it overall I dont see why we should have felt in anyway obliged to tip the full amount when the service overall was well below par on this occasion.
                            Have you remembered to factor in the price of the cruise? I bet the NCL one was nearly half the price of Celebrity.
                            www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post
                              Have you remembered to factor in the price of the cruise? I bet the NCL one was nearly half the price of Celebrity.
                              Isn't that irrelevant? If I am expected to pay a daily service charge in line with high end quality cruise lines am I not right in expecting a decent level of service.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X