• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Crews attitudes are changing with the 'all incl gratuities' in place?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think Crews attitudes are changing with the 'all incl gratuities' in place?

I have been reading up a lot lately on our next cruise and one thing I seem to pick up on a lot is how many times I read, the crew are not friendly and more, the crew dont make an effort, the crew dont smile so much, the crew couldnt be bothered to serve me. It seems to be a common trend.

I wonder if with the abundance of the 'all inclusive' gratuities already paid up infront scenario that this could be the reason.
    Before all this auto tipping and paying up front they quite simply HAD to make an effort else it would hit them in the pocket. I always tip one way or another, cash, auto or whatever, but have to say the cash method would be based not what on what the 'suggested' amount was but based on what sort of service we had received.

Now its a given in most cases with the auto charge on board or prepayments upfront that they are safe knowing that their extra money is secure, have you found its impacted on the service in general?

I can honestly say, I haven't noticed any difference at all. We have usually pre-paid and presumably our cabin steward is aware of this but they still introduce themselves and check as we are cruising if we are happy with everything.

I do wonder if some of the negative comments are a reflection of the passengers attitude towards the staff, I have found a smile and a bit of chit chat goes a long way.

The staff are still dependent on the feedback from the passenger forms so it would seem counter productive to not be friendly and pleasant

Maybe I will change my mind in the future but so far it has been fine..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
      I can honestly say, I haven't noticed any difference at all. We have usually pre-paid and presumably our cabin steward is aware of this but they still introduce themselves and check as we are cruising if we are happy with everything.

I do wonder if some of the negative comments are a reflection of the passengers attitude towards the staff, I have found a smile and a bit of chit chat goes a long way.

The staff are still dependent on the feedback from the passenger forms so it would seem counter productive to not be friendly and pleasant

I totally agree with you Carol. We have just returned from a cruise on QV, without exception the crew were all friendly and really helpful. Although our cabin steward and waiters were busy they were still happy and pleased to chat when time allowed. I find that treating others as you wish to be treated yourself goes a long way.
      Oriana
      Oceana
      Ventura
      Queen Mary 2
      Queen Victoria
      Queen Elizabeth

Comment

My last four cruises have been drinks, 'All Inclusive. Cruise Cuba, Celestyal, Costa and CMV and the bar service has been impeccable.

They do get a cut from every drink they (excluding soft drinks). How do I know? I asked them outright on every cruise, so the assumption that staff's attitude is down to pre payment doesn't cut the mustard with me.

Like Carol, I do wonder if poor staff attitude is down to some of the moanin' minnie's they have to put up with..............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

One more who cannot say that this is the case. My last cruise was filled with staff who seemed to love their work and were only too happy to please.

If "the crew are not friendly any more, the crew don't make an effort, the crew don't smile so much, the crew couldn't be bothered to serve me" is how you or those concerned find it then I would suggest that it is the management and not the guys and gals themselves who are to blame.

Gratuities are not the only incentive the crew have, there are loads of other ways in which they are incentivised and the majority of those other ways concern the way they are treated, looked after and and generally encouraged and all of those aspects rely very heavily on the management.

As Wilba says they have a lot to put up with and sometimes have the right to feel down-hearted but they know the drill and will normally go that extra mile. .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
            One more who cannot say that this is the case. My last cruise was filled with staff who seemed to love their work and were only too happy to please.

If "the crew are not friendly any more, the crew don't make an effort, the crew don't smile so much, the crew couldn't be bothered to serve me" is how you or those concerned find it then I would suggest that it is the management and not the guys and gals themselves who are to blame.

Gratuities are not the only incentive the crew have, there are loads of other ways in which they are incentivised and the majority of those other ways concern the way they are treated, looked after and and generally encouraged and all of those aspects rely very heavily on the management.

As Wilba says they have a lot to put up with and sometimes have the right to feel down-hearted but they know the drill and will normally go that extra mile. .....Neil
            I agree. I have seen no reduction in service or friendliness and think the attitude on the ship comes from the top. Some ships seem to have an even happier crew than others and from what I have observed these are the ships where the senior officers are visible and chat to both staff and cruisers around the ship.

Several cruise lines have a system of asking passengers to recognize exceptional service during the cruise. I have been told that these recommendations are used to award extra time off (breaks and shore time) and also choice of work stations. These benefits are highly prized by the staff, so encourage a good attitude.

I can honestly say that the only occasion I had really poor service was from customer relations, where the staff are salaried, not dependent on gratuities. Generally I think if you treat the staff well, they will respond appropriately. I cringe sometimes when I hear people demanding service and talking as if they are vastly superior to the workers.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post

I completely agree with you, Carol. :-)

Comment

I probably don't have the experience to offer an opinion as we sail AI. I have not notice a change in the crew members' attitude, they are all fabulous. We don't tend to 'top up' the tips but generally leave a little gift for our stewardess. On our last trip we bought a gift for a bartender we have known years and a dress for his little girl. I also sent her gifts for Christmas and her first birthday. We are on board at Christmas this year so I foresee quite a few gifts being exchanged.

Comment

Have to say that I do agree with what all of you say. We / our cruising party always go out of our way to be friendly with our wait staff, engage in conversation and show interest in them/their families back home. I will wait to see how our next cruise goes, but in general was wondering why others were saying how miserable the staff were.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    Have to say that I do agree with what all of you say. We / our cruising party always go out of our way to be friendly with our wait staff, engage in conversation and show interest in them/their families back home. I will wait to see how our next cruise goes, but in general was wondering why others were saying how miserable the staff were.
                    I agree that one tends to get back the attitude that you give out. I remember one occasion when I had a little joke (OK, mild flirtation) with a young waiter and an American lady at the table said "Doesn't she handle them well". What! I was treating him as a fellow human being. What amazes me is how the crew know who they can have a bit of fun and banter with and who to take a step back from.

Comment

I don't cruise as often as many of you and tbh I don't really give much credence to the comments re staff by reviewers. I take people as I find them and I am not as interactive with the crew as apparently many of you are.

When I sailed NCL, much of the passenger list enjoyed the AI UBP and service was an issue - staff numbers did not appear to be sufficient to cope with demand.

I just ask the question could it be an issue associated more with mega ships or certain cruise lines?? I genuinely don't know.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                        My last four cruises have been drinks, 'All Inclusive. Cruise Cuba, Celestyal, Costa and CMV and the bar service has been impeccable.

They do get a cut from every drink they (excluding soft drinks). How do I know? I asked them outright on every cruise, so the assumption that staff's attitude is down to pre payment doesn't cut the mustard with me.

Like Carol, I do wonder if poor staff attitude is down to some of the moanin' minnie's they have to put up with..............Wilba
                        We also found out on our last Celebrity cruise that the drinks vouchers you get as Elite and above count as well. We ended up giving our unsued ones over to them at the end of the cruise and very gratefull theey were too.
                        No moaning minnie here.
                        www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

We're not all inclusive on Cunard. I have no idea if it's the same for everyone but the service we get on QV is absolutely perfect.

Comment

I haven't come across any change of attitude regards crew, remember the tips can be taken off or adjusted so why would they risk that? some people expect to much and some people will always moan, I had a wonderful 17 days cruise in April and the crew were very hard working and cheerful.CG
                            sigpic

Comment

I think the impression that thing are changing comes from those that want it to be the case.

It is probably a culture thing particularly with some Americans, they can't believe you can get service of any kind when you are not in control of persons cash rewards.

For many of us the culture is very different and for those of us that have traveled on ships that are tips included, from budget like Sun cruises and Thomson up rarely if ever have seen issue that are directly related to the personal tip policies.

IME nearly every major service issue has been down to ship design, training, staffing levels or procedures.

Two example.

Independence of the seas the main galley/dining is so big the waiters spend more time queuing to get your food than they do serving tables. Can't be easily fixed and is a problem for a few larger ships, large galley dining does not scale well, also food has be carried a lot further so cools more..

NCL Escape. one bar had a new different to the rest of the ship POS system, due to lack of training and poor process the bar staff spent more time trying to enter drinks on the system than serving customers, this got fixed after few days after serious discussions with the F&B management to change the process, took a further few days for all the bar team to adopt.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X