• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customers Not Happy With Many Companies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete, Mansfield
    started a topic Customers Not Happy With Many Companies

Customers Not Happy With Many Companies

I posted this topic elsewhere on site before noticing a forum specifically on tipping...

This subject is popping up again and again, but nobody in the industry appears to be listening or acting upn it. There are so many people not happy about how tips are charged, its about time the cruise lines got on the case because it clearly isnt a level or fair playing field.

If you were to hold a poll, my guess would be that you would find two main markets, one who preferred to tip personally and the other who preferred tips to be included in the pre-cruise price as with Thomsons for example. Yet, many cruise lines tell us what we are going to pay via our onboard account. Who are they to decide how much we want to tip?

Sort your wages out for a start so tips are not so much a need but more a deserved bonus for those who earn it.

You cant tell me that crew that work well behind the scenes should be getting a cut. With the greatest respect, laundry staff or engineers and maintenance for example dont get tips in any other industry, but its because the cruise lines dont pay fairly they make their pay up at our expense.

Stick it in the price of the cruise for me and if that price seems to high, then we wont book it, period.

I was recently on Britannia and their crew didnt seem particularly happy. On a typical ship of that size with a full compliment of guests, they are actually taking over £17,000 PER DAY from onboard accounts in just tips alone. You do the maths, on this example that's over £119,000 PER WEEK!

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    At the end of the day the current 'tipping system' or 'service charge' system allows cruise lines to have a headline like "Cruise From £999" pp rather than "Cruise From £1,100 pp".

The crews wages (tips/service charge) is hidden in the small print and many people book, forgetting about it.

Leave a comment:

• ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire
    replied
    Tipping is a first world problem.

Tipping in the US started as a way to avoid local taxation. The annual turnover of Carnival Corp. doesn't denote the amounts taken as gratuities to pay staff. If it did they would have to account they money and they don't want to do that because it would be too transparent it would be scrutinised.

As a slight aside ;

9 Reasons We Should Abolish Tipping, Once And For All

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete, Mansfield View Post
    Strange question, the source of my evidence is from observation and reading within these forums, where on earth did you think it was from?

Seriously, I didn't have a clue.

Anecdotal evidence is hardly empirical is it?

Do we know how many 'whinges' rebook with the same line?

Not everyone who cruises is a member of a cruise forum.

Annoe
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 7th October 2015, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Re, the title of this post. If you were unhappy with the company, why would you cruise with them? There are plenty to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• Pete, Mansfield
    replied
    Strange question, the source of my evidence is from observation and reading within these forums, where on earth did you think it was from?

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete, Mansfield View Post
    I posted this topic elsewhere on site before noticing a forum specifically on tipping...

This subject is popping up again and again, but nobody in the industry appears to be listening or acting upn it. There are so many people not happy about how tips are charged, its about time the cruise lines got on the case because it clearly isnt a level or fair playing field.

If you were to hold a poll, my guess would be that you would find two main markets, one who preferred to tip personally and the other who preferred tips to be included in the pre-cruise price as with Thomsons for example. Yet, many cruise lines tell us what we are going to pay via our onboard account. Who are they to decide how much we want to tip?

Sort your wages out for a start so tips are not so much a need but more a deserved bonus for those who earn it.

You cant tell me that crew that work well behind the scenes should be getting a cut. With the greatest respect, laundry staff or engineers and maintenance for example dont get tips in any other industry, but its because the cruise lines dont pay fairly they make their pay up at our expense.

Stick it in the price of the cruise for me and if that price seems to high, then we wont book it, period.

I was recently on Britannia and their crew didnt seem particularly happy. On a typical ship of that size with a full compliment of guests, they are actually taking over £17,000 PER DAY from onboard accounts in just tips alone. You do the maths, on this example that's over £119,000 PER WEEK!
    Hi Pete

I am responding to the title of the thread.

What is the source of your empirical evidence??

If people are unhappy, they generally will not return apart from those who love to moan

Annie

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X