• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCL adds 18% to the speciality dining.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Good Morning Taffy

That in essence is what is causing the uproar on cc. There are 4 threads on this topic and one of the threads runs to approx. 30 pages.

I think NCL have in the last 3 months:

Increased the Daily Service Charge
    Increased the cost of drinks.
    Increased the gratuity on drinks to 18%
    Implemented a 18% gratuity on Speciality Dining.

Nickel and Diming anyone??

Annie
    To put some kind of balance to the argument, the last two NCL cruises I did were absolute bargains, so if the increase in drinks and grats would now cost an extra £100 I would still be quids in compared to most other lines...........Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

Good Morning Taffy

That in essence is what is causing the uproar on cc. There are 4 threads on this topic and one of the threads runs to approx. 30 pages.

I think NCL have in the last 3 months:

Increased the Daily Service Charge
      Increased the cost of drinks.
      Increased the gratuity on drinks to 18%
      Implemented a 18% gratuity on Speciality Dining.

Nickel and Diming anyone??

Annie

The answer to those that object is to vote with their feet. Nobody has to use speciality dining or indeed a particular cruise line if they don't like the prices..................HT

Comment

Originally posted by Hampshire Thorn, Fareham View Post
        The answer to those that object is to vote with their feet. Nobody has to use speciality dining or indeed a particular cruise line if they don't like the prices..................HT

I agree.

However I wonder if we are moving to a model of Cabin and Breakfast only - would suit me

Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 21st March 2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

All the lines have been putting up prices(your celebrity drinks have gone up),

A lot won't notice as they are on packages.

For us if we know on boards costing more I need a cheaper deal up front.

Booking late this is managable less chance of things changing under your feet.

The problem for the early bookers is they don't know what they are buying.

Comment

I agree.

However I wonder if we are moving to a model of Cabin and Breakfast only - would suit me

Annie

Celebrity & RC seem to be moving more to all inclusive - with prices to match................HT

Comment

Seems like cruise lines dropped their prices & standards to attract a new breed of consumer. Now that they have the cruise bug, the cruise lines are using stealth tactics to increase revenue from these unwitting soles.

I was seriously considering a far east cruise in Jan 18, but when I did a real cost analysis I realised that the whilst a solo cruise would be around £2300+ cruise only then the real total cost would be £6000 all in.

Perhaps I will do it one day, but sorry guys your greed means my 50th will be on a beach in Mauritius.

Comment

Originally posted by Philiph, Northwich View Post
                Seems like cruise lines dropped their prices & standards to attract a new breed of consumer. Now that they have the cruise bug, the cruise lines are using stealth tactics to increase revenue from these unwitting soles.

I was seriously considering a far east cruise in Jan 18, but when I did a real cost analysis I realised that the whilst a solo cruise would be around £2300+ cruise only then the real total cost would be £6000 all in.

Perhaps I will do it one day, but sorry guys your greed means my 50th will be on a beach in Mauritius.
                You make a good point Philip - the cruising industry would appear to think that holiday makers do not consider other holiday options - well they do. The number of UK cruisers declined last year.

I always consider the opportunity cost of all my holiday choices.

Annie

Comment

The 'other' board has just lit up big-time. Apparently NCL have just introduced a $7.95 anytime room service fee! They really have dropped the ball on this one.
                  If you can read this - thank a teacher
                  If you are reading this in English - thank a soldier

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH2508, London View Post
                    The 'other' board has just lit up big-time. Apparently NCL have just introduced a $7.95 anytime room service fee! They really have dropped the ball on this one.
                    I must have a read

FDR is determined to secure his $50 extra on board spend

Annie

Comment

Princess tried that(room service fees) last year without telling anyone and that caused major upset and got withdrawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        Princess tried that(room service fees) last year without telling anyone and that caused major upset and got withdrawn.
                        On top of an increase in DSC; 18% booze grats and 18% on speciality restaurants NCL have managed to p**s off virtually everyone. Apparently they are also diluting some of the Loyalty perks as well - so we are diluting our loyalty to them (as are many others).

Comment

On top of an increase in DSC; 18% booze grats and 18% on speciality restaurants NCL have managed to p**s off virtually everyone. Apparently they are also diluting some of the Loyalty perks as well - so we are diluting our loyalty to them (as are many others).
                          Apparently the U.S. web-site has been updated to reflect the 'small convenience charge'.

Annie

Comment

Unfortunately Steve chances are that all the other USD based lines will soon follow suit, making voting with your feet a non starter...........Wilba
                            Wilba

Comment

It is interesting Steve that the Carnival Group have reported increased Q1 earnings largely attributed to increased on board spend apparently achieved without levying increased charges.
                              Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                                Unfortunately Steve chances are that all the other USD based lines will soon follow suit, making voting with your feet a non starter...........Wilba
                                Well we were going to do a ship visit to the P&O Oriana tomorrow but it has been postponed until May. Agreed that the USD lines will probably follow suit (though Princess tried and failed to implement a room service charge of $3.95 IIRC last year).

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X