• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCL adds 18% to the speciality dining.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCL adds 18% to the speciality dining.

Without telling ANYONE, anyone NCL slips on the 18% service charge to speciality restaurants cover charges.

Looks like it started around the 15th and the web sites got updated this week.

Nothing official even with various FB and CC comments.

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Without telling ANYONE, anyone NCL slips on the 18% service charge to speciality restaurants cover charges.

If correct, how long will it be before the others lines will follow their lead?

NB.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Looks like a back door intro to something bigger.

RCI have lead the way with 18% on drinks so one wonders how long before NCL go the same way.

On my last two NCL cruises, with the exception of Tepenyaki, they were begging for custom for the Specialty Restaurants with two for one offers and the like.

Next! Drinks maybe?..............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        Looks like a back door intro to something bigger.

RCI have lead the way with 18% on drinks so one wonders how long before NCL go the same way.

On my last two NCL cruises, with the exception of Tepenyaki, they were begging for custom for the Specialty Restaurants with two for one offers and the like.

Next! Drinks maybe?..............Wilba
        Hi Wilba

There has already been an increase in the gratuity on drinks to 18% and an increase in the Daily Service Charge.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
          Hi Wilba

There has already been an increase in the gratuity on drinks to 18% and an increase in the Daily Service Charge.

Annie
          Am I surprised Annie? No not really. With the price of cruising at today's levels it's hardly surprising that cruiselines are going to recompense losses any which way they can..............Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

Isn't the point of paying for the speciality restaurants (other than the food) the fact that the service is first class? So now you've to pay extra for the service on top of the service you're already paying for. Next you'll be paying to sit next to the window or a booking fee to get a table.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
              Isn't the point of paying for the speciality restaurants (other than the food) the fact that the service is first class? So now you've to pay extra for the service on top of the service you're already paying for. Next you'll be paying to sit next to the window or a booking fee to get a table.
              Stop giving them ideas

The Carnival boss recently stated they hoped to lure land vacationers to cruising.

Well if the cruising industry follows NCL's lead, JMO that ain't going to happen. There is nothing like a range of additional charges to deter folk.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                Am I surprised Annie? No not really. With the price of cruising at today's levels it's hardly surprising that cruiselines are going to recompense losses any which way they can..............Wilba
                These big ships have to be paid for.

Annie

Comment

The next step will be that freedom dining will drop waiter service and it will end up being a carvery, just like the buffet but with table cloths (back to the days of Ocean Village)

All passengers wanting waiter service will end up paying additional charges once on board as extras for the privilege and then the restaurants will be graded and the better the meal the more you pay.

Eventually it will just like booking a resort holiday and paying to eat out every night. Different bars will charge different prices for the same drinks, Sky bar will charge more than the Piano bar, drinks will be cheaper in the karaoke bar and the cheapest drinks will be outside on the passenger decks after 9pm. Passengers will divide themselves in to groups based on their perceived status and wealth and eventually there will be a return to a class structure on cruises and the common man will be back in steerage.

Comment

The next step will be that freedom dining will drop waiter service and it will end up being a carvery, just like the buffet but with table cloths (back to the days of Ocean Village)

All passengers wanting waiter service will end up paying additional charges once on board as extras for the privilege and then the restaurants will be graded and the better the meal the more you pay.

Eventually it will just like booking a resort holiday and paying to eat out every night. Different bars will charge different prices for the same drinks, Sky bar will charge more than the Piano bar, drinks will be cheaper in the karaoke bar and the cheapest drinks will be outside on the passenger decks after 9pm. Passengers will divide themselves in to groups based on their perceived status and wealth and eventually there will be a return to a class structure on cruises and the common man will be back in steerage.
                    Hi RB

OV was before my cruising days so I cannot comment.

Too many price increases in a short period of time. I know I travel solo but I can imagine the impact on a family budget. Obviously the cruise lines believe all the hype that the recession is over for some and think it is an opportune time to implement price rises.

Time will tell.

Annie

Comment

I couldn't agree more Rosebaskets, I have been saying similar for years, although I think your analysis is better than mine.

Cruising like everything else will go full circle, and traditional cruising as we know it will be out of reach to the masses, as it was 30/40 years ago........Wilba
                      Wilba

Comment

Apparently NCL wants an extra $4 pp pd extra spend from all its customers:

Norwegian Needs You�to Spend Another�$4 Per�Day on Your Cruise - Bloomberg Business

The NCL announcement on cc:

As of March 20, 2015, Norwegian Cruise Line will include an 18% gratuity on all specialty and entertainment dining. This gratuity has been added as a convenience for our guests, and is in-line with current tipping practices at land-based restaurants.

What a load of tosh.

Why don't they increase the boarding fares by $5 pp pd??

Annie

PS http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news...workforce.html
                        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 20th March 2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                          Apparently NCL wants an extra $4 pp pd extra spend from all its customers:

Norwegian Needs You�to Spend Another�$4 Per�Day on Your Cruise - Bloomberg Business

The NCL announcement on cc:

As of March 20, 2015, Norwegian Cruise Line will include an 18% gratuity on all specialty and entertainment dining. This gratuity has been added as a convenience for our guests, and is in-line with current tipping practices at land-based restaurants.

What a load of tosh.

Why don't they increase the boarding fares by $5 pp pd??

Annie

PS http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news...workforce.html
                          Seems to me that the new CEO (Frank Del Rio) has managed in 3 months to undo the goodwill that Kevin Sheehan spent years building up. Yes, I was an NCL cheerleader - no more - they have managed to alienate me quite effectively - their loss not mine. Our holiday money will be welcome elsewhere I'm sure.
                          If you can read this - thank a teacher
                          If you are reading this in English - thank a soldier

Comment

I may have this all wrong.
                            But when I pay our tips on Celebrity $12 per day or what ever ,part of that goes to the waiters?
                            When I book a specialty Restaurant then my tips for that meal go to the Restaurant staff ,Even when I use the Open ding option ,when being shown to my table the waiters get given a little ticket ,which I presume gets my tips allocated to them.
                            If NCL have just stuck an 18% service charge on what are they doing with the rest of the tips...Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                              I may have this all wrong.
                              But when I pay our tips on Celebrity $12 per day or what ever ,part of that goes to the waiters?
                              When I book a specialty Restaurant then my tips for that meal go to the Restaurant staff ,Even when I use the Open ding option ,when being shown to my table the waiters get given a little ticket ,which I presume gets my tips allocated to them.
                              If NCL have just stuck an 18% service charge on what are they doing with the rest of the tips...Taffy
                              Good Morning Taffy

That in essence is what is causing the uproar on cc. There are 4 threads on this topic and one of the threads runs to approx. 30 pages.

I think NCL have in the last 3 months:

Increased the Daily Service Charge
                              Increased the cost of drinks.
                              Increased the gratuity on drinks to 18%
                              Implemented a 18% gratuity on Speciality Dining.

Nickel and Diming anyone??

Annie
                              Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 21st March 2015, 09:23 AM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X