• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compulsory Gratuities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compulsory Gratuities

Why do cruise companies write as if they are doing you a favour when they tell you that an amount of (say) $11 a day is being added to your bill to save you the problem of paying gratuities to the staff? Isn't it time that all companies followed the example of Princess Cruises out of Australi by leaving passengers to give gratuities at their own discretion. Princess pay proper wages to their staff so they don't need to expect passengers to boost crew pay packets by giving gratuities.

Originally posted by John Gold Coast, Runaway Bay View Post
    Why do cruise companies write as if they are doing you a favour when they tell you that an amount of (say) $11 a day is being added to your bill to save you the problem of paying gratuities to the staff? Isn't it time that all companies followed the example of Princess Cruises out of Australi by leaving passengers to give gratuities at their own discretion. Princess pay proper wages to their staff so they don't need to expect passengers to boost crew pay packets by giving gratuities.
    Stand by..methinks it is tin hat time my learned friend...good luck!michael.

Comment

I expect you will find a lot of agreement on this topic. Why they dont just say the cruise costs "x" and there is a whip round for the staff, and we will call it "tips".
      When you go into a restaurant they dont say that they will make you pay tips, same as a hotel. It's fundamentally dishonest. There is a line of thought that the Americans like to do it as it keeps the base price down and tipping is "the norm". I guess thats got some element of truth about it.
      But as we have all seen next years cruise prices are just plain daft. Over £100/night for an inside cabin and i guess we will still get slammed for tips !!! It's getting out of hand and the word "rip off" come to mind.
      Just to round off, I am not anti tips, but i see no reason to pay them as a "standard", and they should be totally at the discretion of the tipper, not the cruise company. Only the tipper can say that the service he/she got was worthy.

Comment

I am in full agreement there AVB,But me thinks it will never change. Jan.

Comment

One of the advantages of AI is tips are included. Once you have paid for the cruise, that is it. Obviously one is still free to tip for exceptional service that is over and above the norm. Judith

Comment

I've read several times that there is no auto tipping on cruises out of Australia as tipping is not part of their culture and they simply don't do it. I wonder if we all refused to be party to this archaic system it would die a death here too. As long as enough people go along with it for whatever reason they have, then things won't change. Most of my cruises these days are with Celebrity on Select Dining so I pay the gratuities up front. I go along with this as it is the easiest option and a prerequisite of me being able to choose when to eat, but I think it is fundamentally wrong and I am helping to perpetuate an unfair system for the staff every time I pay up. Bluntly I don't pay up because the poor staff are so deserving ( of course they are ), I pay up because it is the price of getting what I want. If everyone refused to support the system then it would have to change, as seems to have happened in Australia. So it could be argued that every time anyone, myself included, goes along with auto tipping we aren't really thinking of the staff at all, if we were we would acknowledge that we were condoning the underpaying of staff because it's less hassle than having to stand up and say no - it's your job to implement a fair wage structure, not mine - I'm on holiday.

Comment

Oh not this old thread again

Comment

Originally posted by Smee, Burntwood View Post
                It may be an old thread but it's from a new member - certainly more interesting than games threads IMO.

The question I would ask John Gold Coast is what are the Princess Australia cruise prices like in comparison to UK prices? Have the proper wages they pay to their staff had an effect on the prices or are they still competitive?

One of the problems suggested on here in the past is that if the crew were paid a proper wage and tips were included, some people would still feel the need to tip and it would eventually become expected once more.................HT

Comment

Just off topic i know,but for the first time ever i have just noticed your avitar winks,Smee! Ha ha. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasann, Lampeter View Post
                    I've read several times that there is no auto tipping on cruises out of Australia as tipping is not part of their culture and they simply don't do it. I wonder if we all refused to be party to this archaic system it would die a death here too. As long as enough people go along with it for whatever reason they have, then things won't change. Most of my cruises these days are with Celebrity on Select Dining so I pay the gratuities up front. I go along with this as it is the easiest option and a prerequisite of me being able to choose when to eat, but I think it is fundamentally wrong and I am helping to perpetuate an unfair system for the staff every time I pay up. Bluntly I don't pay up because the poor staff are so deserving ( of course they are ), I pay up because it is the price of getting what I want. If everyone refused to support the system then it would have to change, as seems to have happened in Australia. So it could be argued that every time anyone, myself included, goes along with auto tipping we aren't really thinking of the staff at all, if we were we would acknowledge that we were condoning the underpaying of staff because it's less hassle than having to stand up and say no - it's your job to implement a fair wage structure, not mine - I'm on holiday.
                    If you can think of a way to instigate and prolong the non-payment of tips then you will have the backing of many.

The problem is that with the way cruise lines promote tipping with their eloquent wordage and incentivise by saying that if you want Select Dining you won't get it if you don't pay up from and generally connive, bamboozle, and bludgeon passengers to make them surrender the staff's “much needed and earned extra” it is going to be an up-hill struggle.

Oh and hey Smee, I hope you have switched to another more interesting thread .... we have several running at the moment or even better start a good thread yourself.....Neil

Comment

Here's a thought ... it's true that tips are a big thing to Americans, so I wonder how they cope when taking a cruise from Australia? I realise the shipboard tips deal depends on where it was booked, not where the cruise actually goes, but there are still "local customs" to think of. Perhaps they just throw money around as usual ...

Cheers,
                      Lynn

Comment

[QUOTE=Neil Down, Southampton;597552]If you can think of a way to instigate and prolong the non-payment of tips then you will have the backing of many.

The problem is that with the way cruise lines promote tipping with their eloquent wordage and incentivise by saying that if you want Select Dining you won't get it if you don't pay up from and generally connive, bamboozle, and bludgeon passengers to make them surrender the staff's “much needed and earned extra” it is going to be an up-hill struggle.

I agree Neil. And therein lies the rub. Personally I want select Dining and I will pay the auto tips ( supplement, or whatever you choose to call it ) in order to get the product I want. But... I think morally I am probably not doing the right thing. I may be able to disembark smug in the knowledge I have paid my dues but I know that in so doing I have also allowed others to go on their merry way leaving some staff short changed. Maybe things will change in time as the younger element form the majority of cruisers. Perhaps they will be less easily bamboozled.

Comment

There is no auto-tipping on Princess cruises out of Australia because the crew are paid an Australian-standard proper wage. As for casual tipping, we encountered an interesting situation with the room service stewardess on "Sea Princess" when she brought our breakfast to the cabin for us to eat on the balcony. When we offered her a cash tip, she said: "If you give me money, I have to share it with the other staff. But I love chocolate!". So we bought a large bag of Kit-Kats and (to her delight) used to give her one each time she came to our cabin!

Comment

Originally posted by John Gold Coast, Runaway Bay View Post
                            There is no auto-tipping on Princess cruises out of Australia because the crew are paid an Australian-standard proper wage. As for casual tipping, we encountered an interesting situation with the room service stewardess on "Sea Princess" when she brought our breakfast to the cabin for us to eat on the balcony. When we offered her a cash tip, she said: "If you give me money, I have to share it with the other staff. But I love chocolate!". So we bought a large bag of Kit-Kats and (to her delight) used to give her one each time she came to our cabin!
                            John I am well aware of the Oz tipping situation, but what is the bottom line on ticket prices.

I mean the bottom line, the cheapest possible, late, offer, call it what you will you could book a 7 or 14 day cruise out of Oz.

Being a sceptic and knowing how people in the UK get 'conned' by free drinks packages/parking/ gratuities/OBC, when in reality the cruiselines have increased the ticket price by about £300 to achieve these spectacular deals, has the same or similar happened in Oz?
                            Wilba

Comment

Sorry Wilba, I can't tell you what the cheapest possible fare is for a 7 or 14 day cruise out of Australia as we usually take advantage of the "Future Cruise" offers when we are on a Princess cruise. You only pay $100 as a deposit and you get some fantastic deals. On the recent World Cruise my wife and I each got $2050 in on-board credits - twice the normal rate.
                              However, if you want to know about con. tricks, I refer you to P&O World Cruises. I recently made a complaint to Carnival because I was grossly over-charged for pre-purchased Internet access on a P&O "Arcadia" cruise. I was charged A$143.75 for a 250 minute Internet package, (equating to £92.53 at the rates applicable when I made the purchase) although the correct price should have been £62.50 for 250 minutes - i.e. I was over-charged by
                              £30 on a £62.50 purchase. The problem was that P&O World Cruises applied a pre-determined exchange rate of 2.3 when converting sterling to A$. According to P&O the pre-determined exchange rate is reviewed approximately every 6 months. However, when I lodged my complaint I was told that the 2.3 rate used when I bought my Internet access was out-of-date and I received a refund and an apology "for any inconvenience or confusion caused." I did wonder how many other Australians had been cheated in this way! Later I asked if the fares charged to Australian booking on P&O cruises were also inflated by a pre-determined exchange rate - but I never received a reply! Needless to say, I no longer travel on P&O cruises!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X