• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to change cruise to a future cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to change cruise to a future cruise

Booked ages ago Fred Olsen to Indian Ocean. Found out this weekend that Madagascar has Pneumonic Plague for which there is no vaccination. It is on both the government web site and the NHs website. Tried to transfer to 1 or 2 cruises at a future date, Fred said no if you cancel it will cost you 70% of the fare. My husband was hospitalised in Sri Lanka from Azamara earlier this year, and spent 6 days in intensive care with bronchial pneumonia. I thought it would be wise to transfer as it is spread by coughing and as we all know most ships have "cabin cough" so it would be nerve racking. Has anyone ever managed to transfer a cruise with Fred Olsen? It is only 8 weeks away. I know people who have transferred a cruise on P and O.

We haven't had to cancel a cruise yet, but I'm sure they cover themselves in their terms and conditions. I'm also sure FO will not endanger their guests and crew. Personally, I'd speak to the GP, explain the situation and ask for antibiotics to greatly reduce the risk of infection. You may need to start the course before you leave. I hope you work something out.

Comment

Originally posted by nannynemo, clacton View Post
      Booked ages ago Fred Olsen to Indian Ocean. Found out this weekend that Madagascar has Pneumonic Plague for which there is no vaccination. It is on both the government web site and the NHs website. Tried to transfer to 1 or 2 cruises at a future date, Fred said no if you cancel it will cost you 70% of the fare. My husband was hospitalised in Sri Lanka from Azamara earlier this year, and spent 6 days in intensive care with bronchial pneumonia. I thought it would be wise to transfer as it is spread by coughing and as we all know most ships have "cabin cough" so it would be nerve racking. Has anyone ever managed to transfer a cruise with Fred Olsen? It is only 8 weeks away. I know people who have transferred a cruise on P and O.
      We have in the past transferred a cruise with P&O. The rules are that you can only transfer before final balance is paid. After that you cannot do it. I would imagine that Fred Olsen have the same terms and conditions. As you are only 8 weeks away, you are past the time when it is allowed.

I am am sure that if it is not safe to call at Madagascar, then it will be changed. Of course there is always a risk wherever you go, some places more than others and the likes of Sri Lanka and Madascar are a higher risk than most.

i hope that whatever your decision, that it works best for you.

Val

Comment

I would certainly take medical advice before going, but subject to that, why not just stay on the ship when she's in Madagascar? Better to miss one or two ports of call rather than lose the whole cruise. Given your husband's recent medical history, I assume you have travel insurance and have advised your insurers of the previous illness.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
          I would certainly take medical advice before going, but subject to that, why not just stay on the ship when she's in Madagascar? Better to miss one or two ports of call rather than lose the whole cruise. Given your husband's recent medical history, I assume you have travel insurance and have advised your insurers of the previous illness.
          With this particular infection, if any guests go ashore, they may well bring the disease back on the ship, so staying on board does not guarantee staying free from infection.

Comment

We most certainly have. The insurance company paid both the Sri Lanka Hospital Bill and the Bill from Azamara. My hotel and our flight back. They are well aware and we pay extra due to health problems.

Comment

That was my point to Fred Olsen, that how would you know the difference between someone having "cabin cough" and Pneumonic plague. So staying on board would not help .It is a worry .

Comment

I take your point. Doesn't seem to be an easy answer here if Fred won't budge. Presumably they aren't going to change their itinerary.Seems all you can do is ask for expert medical advice from your GP and make your decision from there. I have never sailed with FO, but understand that many of their guests are elderly, and may not be in the best of health. Surely if the risk is that great they wouldn't want to put people at risk. It's a difficult one, and I do hope you manage to sort something out.
                That was my point to Fred Olsen, that how would you know the difference between someone having "cabin cough" and Pneumonic plague. So staying on board would not help .It is a worry .

Comment

I tip my hat.

If I had been hospitalised in Sri Lanka earlier in the year, I would be taking a year out to recover my strength.

Good wishes on a positive outcome.

Annie

Comment

In case you haven't seen it, there is a fair bit about this on the World Health Organisation's website. The WHO seem to be advising against travel restrictions at present, but I have to admit I wouldn't fancy going there.

Comment

Let's hope the ship will bypass Madagascar and stop off somewhere different to avoid endangering people's health . Also do speak to your GP for advice .I wish you good health luck and plenty more cruises .😃

Comment

Nannynemo, clacton. What a difficult decision for you to have to make. I think once you have paid your final payment there are no refunds or changing to another cruise. As someone who suffers on cruises with cruisers cough I would be very worried if I was travelling on the cruise, as I have had very bad cruisers cough which has taken six weeks or more to go.

It is of course quite possible that you booked this cruise long ago before your Husband was hospitalized in Sri Lanka earlier this year.
                        Personally I would ask myself, would I cancel the cruise if it was at no cost to me and if the answer was yes, then that is what I would do, as you would never forgive yourself if something bad happened and one has to presume your Husband will probably have a weakness in his lungs for a while. Better safe than sorry. It's always very hard to lose a lot of money like that, just think you are spending it on good health, for the worry whilst you were away wouldn't be worth it and it would be hard to enjoy the cruise.

Unless Fred Olsen decide to cancel the port visit, you could try lobbying them to do so for everyone's sake.

Comment

Or

You could look at the situation statistically and think what are the chances of tourists, visiting the place for [I presume] a few hours, catching this dreadful problem.

The prevalence of the cabin cough on the QV's world cruise two years ago was awful, to the extent we didn't go to the theatre at all after our first week, and Japanese passengers were wearing masks around the ship.

Your husband is more likely to catch that if it's around, than Pneumonic Plague. Personally, we'd go and just try and steer clear of ''coughers''.

Comment

If you are concerned about your husband getting"Cabin cough" why book a cruise??
                            And if they do call at Madagascar you can both stay on the ship, that's what I would do, Life has it's risk's .
                            I Am reluctant to book a cruise on Arcadia due to having bought a chest infection (Twice) it has not stopped me cruising I accept there is a risk....Taffy
                            ​Taffy

Comment

I transferred a cruise a couple of years ago but it was before I had paid the final balance.

I suffered from the cabin cough earlier this year on our Indian Ocean cruise. It was rife throughout the ship (Boudicca) and as it was a 77 night cruise, having shifted it early on, it came back to get me for the rest of t he cruise. It took about 6 weeks to shift once back in the UK.

Given your husband's medical history, I would speak to a senior member of the Fred Olsen team to press home your problem. Mention that you have heard of people who have suffered the cough and that with the threat of the added problem in Madagascar, suggest they bend the rules on this occasion.

I wish you luck and hope that you get a positive outcome.
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X