• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We Becoming Food Snowflakes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

Wait for Christmas 😳 as soon as Morrison’s start putting their in house baked Shortcrust mince pies on the shelf’s, we buy them by the dozens, irrespective of the price, even load the freezer with them.
    Still eating them now, best mince pies other than home made, never spoil them with a sauce. 😄. 😎
    I'm with you there, they are delicious .................................................. ..............................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
      Hi Mrs M
      Sindhu speciality restaurant with menu's by 2* Michelin chef Atul Kochhar on Britannia and the rest of the P&O fleet is highly rated.I'll have you know!!!
      JC
      I didn't rate Sindhu at all. The lobster I ordered had no flavour as it was swamped by a really hot & spicy sauce and it was was supposed to be one of their signature dishes. The ice cream was nothing special at all plus they had run out of one of the three flavours supposedly on the dish.

The best Asian food I've had on a cruise was in Red Ginger on Oceania's Marina. Fabulous & there's no extra charge for speciality restaurants. In fact it's the best food in all the restaurants on any cruise we've tasted, much better than Azamrara. We haven't cruised with either of them since they have gone towards all inclusive, too much stuff included we don't want & too expensive now.

On the only P&O cruise we've done we stopped eating in the restaurant and started to eat in the buffet on Aurora in the evening, the food was much fresher & tastier especially the fish which was frequently dry and tough in the restaurant and there was so much more choice. Also it was much more peaceful there without waiters racing about the place. It was the same in the restaurant on Celebrity Silhouette far too noisy, fish part cooked, left standing then reheated whereas in the buffet it was cooked to order. There was so much choice of different types of food and we also had a fabulous display of exotic fruit on the evening we left Bali, such a fabulous range of strange looking fruits & the chefs explaining what they were. Interestingly the restaurant didn't serve any. The food in the restaurant on Celebrity Eclipse was very good, not as good a Oceania ships but very good. Incidentally it had a British execuituve chef!

Haven't been on a cruise for 3 years but trying Marella's Explorer 2 from Newcastle to the fjords. Don't have any great expectations but it's just so much easier travelling from a local port.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post

I didn't rate Sindhu at all. The lobster I ordered had no flavour as it was swamped by a really hot & spicy sauce and it was was supposed to be one of their signature dishes. The ice cream was nothing special at all plus they had run out of one of the three flavours supposedly on the dish.

The best Asian food I've had on a cruise was in Red Ginger on Oceania's Marina. Fabulous & there's no extra charge for speciality restaurants. In fact it's the best food in all the restaurants on any cruise we've tasted, much better than Azamrara. We haven't cruised with either of them since they have gone towards all inclusive, too much stuff included we don't want & too expensive now.

On the only P&O cruise we've done we stopped eating in the restaurant and started to eat in the buffet on Aurora in the evening, the food was much fresher & tastier especially the fish which was frequently dry and tough in the restaurant and there was so much more choice. Also it was much more peaceful there without waiters racing about the place. It was the same in the restaurant on Celebrity Silhouette far too noisy, fish part cooked, left standing then reheated whereas in the buffet it was cooked to order. There was so much choice of different types of food and we also had a fabulous display of exotic fruit on the evening we left Bali, such a fabulous range of strange looking fruits & the chefs explaining what they were. Interestingly the restaurant didn't serve any. The food in the restaurant on Celebrity Eclipse was very good, not as good a Oceania ships but very good. Incidentally it had a British execuituve chef!

Haven't been on a cruise for 3 years but trying Marella's Explorer 2 from Newcastle to the fjords. Don't have any great expectations but it's just so much easier travelling from a local port.
        I have to agree. We did a cruise on Oceania Marina in 2016 as it was a deal we couldn't miss. The four of us (we went with forum friends Seacoasters) all thought that the food was excellent in all the restaurants; both the the MDR and the speciality venues.

Jill

Comment

Whilst I know I’m a pain in the backside eating out from an allergy and intolerance point of view, I and actually all of my party were very disappointed in the taste, quality and heat of our food on our recent cruise on Indy.
          I discussed it in my review so i won’t repeat myself except to say that the Executive Chef for the whole of the fleet was on board and it made us wonder if she was trying to improve things or responsible for the dumbing down?
          We did the behind the scenes tour and the head chef made it very clear that menu choice and financials were all done by head office.

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
            Whilst I know I’m a pain in the backside eating out from an allergy and intolerance point of view, I and actually all of my party were very disappointed in the taste, quality and heat of our food on our recent cruise on Indy.
            I discussed it in my review so i won’t repeat myself except to say that the Executive Chef for the whole of the fleet was on board and it made us wonder if she was trying to improve things or responsible for the dumbing down?
            We did the behind the scenes tour and the head chef made it very clear that menu choice and financials were all done by head office.
            Interesting. Your group was disappointed with the food on the Indy and Mike was disappointed with the food on the Oasis.

I sailed the same 2 different lines in 2018 and 2019. 2018 was a far better year.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Interesting. Your group was disappointed with the food on the Indy and Mike was disappointed with the food on the Oasis.

I sailed the same 2 different lines in 2018 and 2019. 2018 was a far better year.

Annie
              It was our 5th Royal Caribbean cruise and our third time on Indy. We were very shocked at the down turn.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                Hi TD
                If I have snails on Celebrity I can certainly taste garlic,of course snails don't taste of garlic,,but garlic is in the cooking process.

Celebrity classic always available dish.
                ESCARGOTS À LA BOURGUIGNONNE
                Shallots, Garlic, Parsley, Pernod Butter

If anyone likes their food hot try Celebrity French Onion Soup with the cheese crust,,,,you are in danger of 1st degree burns,nice though.

JC
                JC Hubby loves both escargot and French onion soup on Celebrity. He usually has one of them each night in MDR. I like both but find Celebrity use to much cheese for my liking.
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post

I enjoyed Sindhu on Azure. I didn’t find the food over spiced but I had chosen mild dishes.

I love Red Ginger especially their sea bass. Cannot wait till April when we’re on Sirena. Oceania’s food is excellent.

BTW If you don’t want the flights, OBC etc ask for a price with and without the ‘free’ perks. I’ve taken off the flights on the last two cruises and booked my own flights for less than the removed fares.

Comment

Hubby calls me a food snob but as long as I get what I paid for I’m happy. Eg I don’t expect a £5 main course to taste the same as a £20 main course. as long as my food is hot and I think it tastes nice I’m happy.

even if restaurants are adding less salt they should be adding herbs, spices etc to make their food taste tasty.

I know every restaurant, land or sea, has to cater for allergies, gluten free, dairy free, people’s own food choices etc but no one seems to cater for diabetics. The most you get is no added sugar’ but they still contain sugar. Hubby has to content himself with either cheese and biscuits (which can increase cholesterol levels) or nothing.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X