• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We Becoming Food Snowflakes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are We Becoming Food Snowflakes?

I was recently asked to give someone advice on a number of Far Eastern ports of call, so I telephoned the lady and told her everything I could remember off the top of my head and offered to email her a blog I had written if I could find it on the internet.

One of my pet moans about cruise food is blandness and lack of taste and flavour, so I was quite surprised when I found my blog, that my only real complaint about the whole cruise was bland, tasteless food. This was written 11 years ago regarding a RCI ship. I know this is a regular moan from me, but I had no idea I was complaining about this as far back as 11 years ago.

On my last Celebrity cruise I ordered from Always Available Menu, Escargots. They were pathetic. If I order escargots, I want to smell the garlic before it even leaves the galley and I want to reek offensively of it for the next three days. I want food cooked and presented as it should be, not a pale substitute.

Some might see that comment as OTT, but quite honestly, if I went into any basic restaurant in France, I would expect nothing less.

The same goes for their beautifully presented desserts. They look scrumptious, but taste of absolutely nothing. I’m not just singling out Celebrity, as RCI, Princess, P&O, MSC are equally at fault, in some cases more so.

It’s not just the more extreme International flavours I’m ranting about, it’s basic meat and two veg that I find equally tasteless. Some of the meats are so bland, for all I know, I could be eating that reconstituted stuff made from Soya Bean.

I realise that ships are getting bigger, which means food has to be prepared further and further in advance, and then go some kind of preservation process, either heat or steam, and it’s that preservation that destroys the taste, even changing the colour of the meat in some cases. I recognise that with mass catering this is unlikely to change, but even some basic seasoning would add something to the flavours.

I have done many P&O cruises over the years, and well remember when their food was highly regarded, but in the last decade I give them little consideration as their food has been so bland and tasteless on the few cruises I have done with them, I think, why bother?

Is it just me, or is the reality the cruiselines are simply pandering to minority, don’t eat, can’t eat, won’t eat snowflakes, or are the ‘suits in charge’ just trying to be all things, to all men?

I appreciate some folk have allergies and they should be catered for without exception, but the mass of cruisers don’t, so why should we, the majority, be subjected to such pale imitations…………..Wilba

Wilba

No it's not just you Wilba. I sing from the same song sheet when it comes to bland or boring food.

I also love escargots and remember my first taste of them, served in garlic butter, sitting in a ceramic dish atop a mini burner. I can't remember the last time I saw escargots on a cruise menu.

One of my pet hates is luke warm food too. On the bigger ships (Cunard included), I have often sent food back because it wasn't hot enough for my tastes.

I can only guess that the food on P & O was once far better than it is now. I remember my first cruise with them in 2010 when my fellow table mates (all regulars to P & O) complaining about the drop in food standards.

Personally, I think the changes in the galley are more to do with cost than trying to please the majority, which is why we see so many premium dining options on cruise ships these days at an additional cost of course.
    Jill

Comment

The woke cruise lines are listening to the salt police, the sugar police and all of the "everything that is nice must be banned " police.and their hypocritical luvvie friends who preach to us.

Just look at the fuss the vociferous vegan lobby is making and they represent only 1% of the population. If you didn't know you would think was only you and a few friends who were still eating meat.

The BBC is a past master in misleading statistics. It reports a 50% increase in the sales of the latest fad from 100 to 150 buckets a day. It doesn't mention the non fad sales have gone from 1,000.000 to 1,100,000 buckets a day!

Comment

I can’t offer an opinion on the big ships, but if I ate escargot, which I don’t, I would ask for them to be cooked with extra garlic, if that was my preference. There is no excuse for bland, cold food, no matter how big the ship. Is this a ploy to get people to fork out for the speciality restaurants? Is the food any better?

Comment

It is amazing the difference a bit of salt adds to any cooking, but other half was told his blood pressure was to high, and to try cutting it out. Being the good wife that I am I have stopped using it, the food has lost something, but my other halves blood pressure has come right down, so it's not all bad .................................................. ..........................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
            It is amazing the difference a bit of salt adds to any cooking, but other half was told his blood pressure was to high, and to try cutting it out. Being the good wife that I am I have stopped using it, the food has lost something, but my other halves blood pressure has come right down, so it's not all bad .................................................. ..........................Carol
            I think that is a factor Carol. I rarely cook with salt.

Cruise lines, in my experience, rarely cook desserts well.

Scale of cooking and quality of raw ingredients are important factors too.

Annie

Comment

I am not becoming a food snowflake have always been a food snowflake, I am no foodie as I have referred to many a time.

As for escargots you can keep them, same with garlic, both not for me.😳

One of the reasons I enjoy cruising is to observe a countries culture but not to take part in it, knowing when I get back on board I will be able to eat food which is to my taste, probably why I enjoy cruising with P&O, also why I never eat in the speciality restaurants.. 🤗

Like Carol's husband following a recent hospital visit I am also suffering with very high blood pressure for which I have been given tablets, I have gone from none to three tablets a day, will have to give the no salt a try.☹️
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

[QUOTEI also love escargots and remember my first taste of them, served in garlic butter, sitting in a ceramic dish atop a mini burner. I can't remember the last time I saw escargots on a cruise menu."

Hi Jill
                They are on the menu every day on Celebrity.
                Served in garlic infused olive oil,,,,bubbling hot,,,,in small indentations in the dish,,,,lovely.

I don't take much interest in people's opinions of food,that's just their opinion,personally I can probably count on one hand the number of bad meals I've had.,,,,,,,,,it's all subjective.

I do believe some cruise lines should learn from Celebrity when it comes to food,especially the choice in the buffets and food taste.

JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  [QUOTEI also love escargots and remember my first taste of them, served in garlic butter, sitting in a ceramic dish atop a mini burner. I can't remember the last time I saw escargots on a cruise menu."

Hi Jill
                  They are on the menu every day on Celebrity.
                  Served in garlic infused olive oil,,,,bubbling hot,,,,in small indentations in the dish,,,,lovely.

I don't take much interest in people's opinions of food,that's just their opinion,personally I can probably count on one hand the number of bad meals I've had.,,,,,,,,,it's all subjective.

I do believe some cruise lines should learn from Celebrity when it comes to food,especially the choice in the buffets and food taste.

JC
                  Thanks for that JC. I have to admit that that I have only ever been on Celebrity once and the food was good.

Jill

Comment

Try Azamara for great food. You can have garlic infused escargot every day if you wanted to. I don’t like them but I’m told they are fabulous from people that do.

Comment

Food is very subjective, we went on a spice plantation tour with lunch when in Goa as part of an Indian Ocean trip, they served a fabulous lunch of spicy fresh fish and vegetable curry with rice, naan, bread etc. An older (English) couple sat opposite us, each had a single bread roll on the plate and she loudly informed the table "we are not going to eat any of that muck"

Each to their own

Comment

It's mass catering on a large scale and although I agree with the hot food scenario [luke warm not acceptable], the non ''luxury'' ships are catering for such a wide range of tastes and likes/dislikes, I don't expect the food to be anything other than mass catered unless I'm paying a premium to have a more tailored experience, and I definitely wouldn't expect escargot, very garlicky [yuck] or not so, to be as fine as I would encounter in a small restaurant.

Although not a gourmet I do recognise decent food when I come across it but I have had no real complaints when eating in the main restaurants onboard a ship as it's usually tasty for mass catering, and I can always find something which suits.

JC, I've only had one very short experience of Celebrity and whilst I thought ''Blu'' [think it was Blu] was nothing to write home about at all, I thought the buffet, lunch and breakfast, the best I have encountered at sea.
                        .Edit
                        Correction. I was mixing Blu up with Sapphire restaurant so apologies to Blu!!!
                        Last edited by Mrs M; 21st January 2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I knew that my extreme comment re escargots was in danger of becoming the main focus of peoples comments, which was not my intention.

JC, stated the escargots were lovely. Lovely they might be, but French authentic they are not, which was my point.

The more I think about this, it’s not just the dumbing down of food flavour, I have never wanted to cruise beyond 14 days, as by then I am all done with cruise food, no matter how good it was in years gone by.

I fully accept cruising is mass catering, but with all the razzmatazz of ships offering so much more a cruise experience than they could even dream of thirty or more years ago, why should we accept the drop in food standards, which I don’t find subjective. It is the opinion of many experienced cruisers across the world………..Wilba
                          Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                            I knew that my extreme comment re escargots was in danger of becoming the main focus of peoples comments, which was not my intention.

JC, stated the escargots were lovely. Lovely they might be, but French authentic they are not, which was my point.

The more I think about this, it’s not just the dumbing down of food flavour, I have never wanted to cruise beyond 14 days, as by then I am all done with cruise food, no matter how good it was in years gone by.

I fully accept cruising is mass catering, but with all the razzmatazz of ships offering so much more a cruise experience than they could even dream of thirty or more years ago, why should we accept the drop in food standards, which I don’t find subjective. It is the opinion of many experienced cruisers across the world………..Wilba
                            Maybe one has to pay more to get more these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                              I am not becoming a food snowflake have always been a food snowflake, I am no foodie as I have referred to many a time.

As for escargots you can keep them, same with garlic, both not for me.😳

One of the reasons I enjoy cruising is to observe a countries culture but not to take part in it, knowing when I get back on board I will be able to eat food which is to my taste, probably why I enjoy cruising with P&O, also why I never eat in the speciality restaurants.. 🤗

Like Carol's husband following a recent hospital visit I am also suffering with very high blood pressure for which I have been given tablets, I have gone from none to three tablets a day, will have to give the no salt a try.☹️
                              We also changed to Flora Light. Not sure if that would be a factor, but certainly helped him .................................................. ..........Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X