• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Limit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Your Limit?

I have been cruising with my family on various lines for the last 18 years. I have just received a quote for a fortnight for the Baltic in one standard balcony cabin for over £10k (no additional perks, obc etc). Unfortunately with prices currently so high I cannot continue to justify spending what is being asked. Is there a limit where you will say enough is enough?

£10k for a balcony cabin me thinks not. 😱 if there’s a cruise I’d love to do but a balcony cabin is a bit pricey I’ll look at an inside cabin price and if that’s more realistic then I’ll book that. I’m very canny with my money and as it needs to last I wouldn’t want to pay anything more than £1500pp for a 2 week cruise.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

10k for a balcony...you forgot to say which of the 6 star lines your quote is for.

Regards
      Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
        10k for a balcony...you forgot to say which of the 6 star lines your quote is for.

Regards
        Garf
        lol. Royal Caribbean

Comment

In my opinion common sense trumps any cost. However maybe if we were in a stronger financial position, out attitude may be different.
          Royal Caribbeans current pricing structures are shocking. They seem to be trying to price themselves out of the UK market. They seem to think people have more money than sense.

Comment

For us there is definitely a limit and given that even from Soton we have to add flights and an overnight stay that limit is regularly reached recently. The prices are ridiculous so perhaps this year we will take a land holiday instead. I priced the Fjords the other day and was getting prices of £2500 for a balcony and that was per person. No cruise is worth that for 12 nights!

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
              I have been cruising with my family on various lines for the last 18 years. I have just received a quote for a fortnight for the Baltic in one standard balcony cabin for over £10k (no additional perks, obc etc). Unfortunately with prices currently so high I cannot continue to justify spending what is being asked. Is there a limit where you will say enough is enough?
              Perhaps look at other lines such as P & O or CMV which will be nowhere near that price. £10,000 is ridiculous. On P & O you can go on a world cruise for that price of 3-4 months!!

We went on Marco Polo to the Baltics and enjoyed every minute. You will not be pestered at every opportunity to spend more money and you will not have to pay extortionate gratuities, as their gratuities are reasonable. They also don't put even more money onto every bar bill in service tax. Looking at Royal Caribbean, I would never go on this line as I cannot stand constant pestering, hard sell and extortionate onboard prices. We work too hard for our money to throw it away on greedy cruise lines who keep charging more and more.

Comment

maybe 10K fare is so they can offer 50% off at a later date?
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post

lol. Royal Caribbean
                  Balcony, really ? I thought that price was for a grand suite.

Comment

Nobody is going to like me for this, but in my position I would say if you want to do it, book it. You can't take it with you and tomorrow is never guaranteed. We all like to think we have got a good deal, but memories are far more precious than money.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                      maybe 10K fare is so they can offer 50% off at a later date?
                      But it would probably still be the same price with 50% off. You know how misleading Royals sales are!

Comment

IT is easy to find silly high prices all over the place these days.

A quick look for RCI Baltic most expensive seems to Jewel of the seas 13 May out of Copenhagen a standard balcony for 2 people total <£7k including flights and hotel ,
                        There are a lots of cheaper dates available

.................................................. .......................
                        We could spend more than we generally do but the value proposition has to be right and as the £pppd cost goes up I want to see real benefit for that extra dosh.

There are still entry level trips at <£50pppd if you shop around (eg P&O IONA 14n £699).
                        £100pppd will get you AI on something 1/2 decent, that good NCL 9n Baltic we did last year came in just under £90pppn, drinks package, 4 speciality dinners, grats and flights

Sometimes you have to look beyond the basic headlines of inside, OV, balcony starting prices

MSC YC £170pppd, (that's a proper suite not a YCI)
                        NCL Haven £250pppd, (often less in the multi bedroom suites)
                        Seabourn £230pppd

Seen some HL close to £200pppd for transatlantic.

Comment

We refuse to pay silly money for anything, although for our next cruise we have spent more than we would normally spend, but then for us it’s a special year in more ways than one, two of them being my 80th and our 55th Anniversary.
                          We have also booked early In order to make sure we get the cabin and position on ship of our choice.

I have noticed an increase in shore excursion prices, I preliminary ( in order to check costs) added 4 to our shopping basket (not booked) suitable for Lorraine’s limited mobility. Even taking into account our P&O Peninsular club discount they total in access of £600.

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 4th January 2020, 11:32 AM.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

After we both survived life threatening illnesses a few years ago, we decided that we would not put off things we wanted to do. Since then we have travelled to all continents except Antarctica. On a cruise, if a balcony cabin is more than we are prepared to pay, we will take an inside. We could afford that balcony cabin, but it doesn’t meet our cost/benefit standard. If a land trip is more cost effective that will be our choice. For making memories, the best trips have been those we did with our sons and their families, which have included a Baltic Cruise and a Safari in Tanzania, neither of which cost close to £10K per couple.
                            Last edited by smtcan, Scarborough; 4th January 2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Dificult one. Prices have been rising quite dramatically over the last few years. We always travel Cunard but now they NEVER discount QG grade. We also have to factor in travel from Glasgow, usually on the sleeper, or if it's a Sunday departure, we have to travel on the Saturday, then it's a chauffuer service either to a hotel or the docks, so that's about £1K in total before we start.

Our on board account is never less than £1.5K after OBC's have been deducted. Therefore, our budget has to be no less than £10K per 12/14 days. If there are further substantial increases, then it may prompt a re-think.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X